Main Menu

Fun in C.A.P

Started by johnboy, June 23, 2010, 02:49:01 PM

johnboy

What is the must fun thing ever happened to you in C.A.P? ???  Mine was going to see Space Shuttle Atlantis! It was FUN  :clap:
C/SSgt John C. Newsom
NCWG
MER-NC-048

DC

Al Sayre

Simulated war games with M16's firing blanks & smoke grenades at encampment (Back around 1976)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

capchiro

Flying (from the right seat) a C-47 for 10 minutes or so during cadet encampment in 1963..  Riding in a C-119 to and from the encampment.  Watching a jet engine on a test bed during the encampment.. Flying to Wright-Patterson AFB and the museum on a C-130 in 1986.  Flying to Patriot Point in Charleston on a C-141 and staying on an Aircraft Carrier for the weekend in 1988.  Earning my Observer Wings in 1979 and my Solo Wings in 1980.  Starting a squadron in 2004..  I could go on and on, but I digress... It's all good and may you have 1/10 of the enjoyment that I have in your long journey with CAP..     
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

CadetProgramGuy

Assistant to the Commandant of Cadets, NCR Encampment 2005

Bayareaflyer 44

A 1 hour joyride in a T-37 for being the honor cadet at ATCFC back in 1985.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

tsrup

My first Solo.

Didn't even see it coming, my instructor fiddled around with something in my flight kit (turned out to be my student certificate), then hopped out on the tarmac after landing and told me to "keep it under 8 crash and dashes, have fun!"
Paramedic
hang-around.

vmstan

Winning the last uniform thread argument.
;)
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

RickFranz

Going to Houston Manned Space Center in the 70's as a Cadet, then getting to repeat that trip in the 90's with a C-130 load of folks from the Dakota's.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

lordmonar

Calling is simulated air strikes agains insurgent targets! (Today)!  :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

billford1

We had an ELT Mission July 8, 2007 that involved  an A/C salvage yard, Sheriff Deputies and the Girl who had to unlock the place to let us in. I'm working on how to post the photo.

Stonewall

Training with 20th Special Forces Group in Ocala National Forest in 1989.  Yes, we were 15 and 16 year old cadets and we did stuff like this.

Me on "patrol".

My best friend since 1987 on "patrol".

We were members of the Jacksonville Composite Squadron from 1987 to 1991 before entering the Army.  We did things like fly in helicopters, train with Navy EOD in the pool on base, spend hours in F/A-18 simulators, SH-60 simulators, P-3 Orien simulators, do drills with National Guard Special Forces, road trips to 1st Ranger Battalion in Savannah Georgia, marksmanship training with the military...
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Lots of things over the period of a decade...

• boarding an oil rig to shut off an EPIRB
  • using the roof of a hotel for DFing
  • flying in various military aircraft
  • traveling places
  • trying to get people to take us seriously while hunting an ELT on Halloween.  Then the drunk guy who owned the ELT (actually, an EPIRB wire tied to an ultralight) and didn't know what it was.
  • various stuff with the military like the M-16 range
  • trying to afford the latest uniform changes and college at the same time
  • looking for little orange boxes in the middle of the night
  • lots more...

AlphaSigOU

Rapelling of the side of Whiteside Mountain in North Carolina when I was but a young 13-year old cadink. 250-foot drop - 50 feet of rock wall, the rest hanging in mid-air with nothing but the trust of the belayer down on the ground!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Cobra1597

Looking down at an F-16 and having the pilot waive back to me while I was lying in the boom operator station of a KC-135.

Flying a multi-million dollar videogame (C-5 simulator), and managing to land it safely after the operators decided to make the weather "difficult"

O-Flights, every single one of them

The satisfaction from finding a very difficult ELT that even the aircraft were having trouble picking up

Many many more (some along the lines of those already stated)
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Eagle400

Earning both the Excellence in Speaking and Excellence in Writing awards at COS (2003).

Can't really explain it, except to say it was an absolute miracle.

Mike Smith
Earhart 11826

JC004

Quote from: CCSE on June 28, 2010, 07:10:25 PM
Earning both the Excellence in Speaking and Excellence in Writing awards at COS (2003).

Can't really explain it, except to say it was an absolute miracle.

Mike Smith
Earhart 11826

That sounds fun.

notaNCO forever

Going to COS last year I met some great people and I think that prepared me more for the Air Force than anything else in CAP.

Eagle400

Quote from: notaNCO forever on June 29, 2010, 12:31:09 AMGoing to COS last year I met some great people and I think that prepared me more for the Air Force than anything else in CAP.

Amen; Me too!!  That's why I always tell folks to just stick with the AF-supervised/instructed NCSA's (except for IACE -- that one's okay).   

GeorgeM

Just curious, anybody out there from Miami Cadet Sqdn 2 when we used to fly with the C-119s of the 76th TCS?