Main Menu

Health Services Officer

Started by KioGoten, May 14, 2010, 06:23:09 AM

KioGoten

Does anyone know anything about the Health Services Officer?

What do they do? How do they advance?

Thanks

Capt Nelson Guadalupe, CAP
SWR-TX-313 Abilene Squadron
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

CadetProgramGuy

Eclipse

The quick answer is very little that can't be done by anyone else - no professional medical qualifications are necessary for the duties themselves, which is why appointing MO's and HSO's for most units doesn't serve much purpose.

"That Others May Zoom"

KioGoten

Hmmm... so those of us who are Doctors, Nurses, Physical Therapists, Dietitians, Physician Assistants ECT can become a health services officer and unless there is a medical emergency... we dont do anything?

That sucks lol is this the same for chaplains and JAG officers as well?
If one comes in as a Captain, what do they have to do in order to get promoted to Major?

Thanks

2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

JayT

Quote from: KioGoten on May 15, 2010, 03:55:03 AM
Hmmm... so those of us who are Doctors, Nurses, Physical Therapists, Dietitians, Physician Assistants ECT can become a health services officer and unless there is a medical emergency... we dont do anything?

That sucks lol is this the same for chaplains and JAG officers as well?
If one comes in as a Captain, what do they have to do in order to get promoted to Major?

Thanks

2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

MD/DO = Medical Officer
NP/RN/LPN = Nursing Officer
EMT/Paramedic/everyone else= Health Services Officer.

Yes. CAP does not have malpractice insurance. And frankly, how mant situations have you been in where someone needs an emergency eyeglass fitting?

The Padre's and JAG's operate under different rules, regulatons and laws.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Quote from: KioGoten on May 15, 2010, 03:55:03 AM

You work in a track that actually has meaningful duties to the local squadron.  A local unit cc is free to appoint you as a staff officer in
one of the health service fields, but as a professional person it won't take more than about 15 minutes to realize there's not much point to it.

We are all limited internally to band-aids and 911.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

That's not really true.

Medical Professionals are free to do anything they want.......but they have to understand that CAP does not have any malpractice insurance and that they are accepting the entire risk upon themselves.

As the regulations say...we are not an health provider nor an emergency medical provider (and should no bill ourselves as one).....but within our operations we are able to perform anything which we are trained to do.  (just don't expect CAP to cover you if you screw up).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

If we don't care about the protection and resources of CAP, we're all free to do whatever we want.

I can't think of a single reasonable needed duty in CAP that a medical professional could perform that any other member could not,
given the current conservative nature of our program.

Come talk to me with free flight physicals and other related care and you might have something.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I would say that we NEED EMTs for GSAR, Encampments etc.
I would say that we NEED flight Doctors to advise the IC, OSC, AOBD and GBD if a member is medically qualified to sortie.

I would say that we should have Medical professionals educating our members on health issues related to our operations and general lifestlye.

The problem is and always has been....a legal/liability issue.  Just look at the flak we get when we try to write a regulation that covers a members medication.

We are in a trap where sometimes we are In Loco Parente (sp?) that is WE are responsible for the kids....but legaly we can't advise them on how or when to take their medications.

Same for larger level HSO.

You want flight physicals (of course you want them free) well we would have to pay for the medical liability insurance. (in Cali that can be $20K-$50K per year!

So....how many cadet activities do you want to eliminate?

Having said all that....there is nothing wrong with a medical professional being a HSO for a squaron.  He does education, advises the commander....he just does not practice medicine.

I makes the doctor feel like he is contributing with out putting CAP into a jam.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2010, 07:07:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2010, 07:03:52 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2010, 06:38:24 PMHe does education, advises the commander...

On what?
You figure it out..... :(

Yeah - that's the point - lot's of rhetoric about all they can do, and they you ask the direct questions and get that kind of response.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2010, 07:20:13 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2010, 07:07:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2010, 07:03:52 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2010, 06:38:24 PMHe does education, advises the commander...

On what?
You figure it out..... :(

Yeah - that's the point - lot's of rhetoric about all they can do, and they you ask the direct questions and get that kind of response.
Okay......if you are going to be dense...the advise the commander on heath issues that may arrise during the course of a normals squadron's operations.

Say you have a diabetic cadet...the commander needs to know what sort of issues that may pose to the health and safety of the cadet...he asks the HSO.

Say a pilot is complaining of a head cold...the commander needs to know if he should do the flight release....he asks the HSO.

Advise....that is one of the things staff officers do.

Ned

Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2010, 05:24:36 PM
That's not really true.

Medical Professionals are free to do anything they want.......but they have to understand that CAP does not have any malpractice insurance and that they are accepting the entire risk upon themselves.

Pat,

I'm going to disagree strongly with this part.

That statement standing alone would make it seem like HSOs can engage in medical treatment as long as they have their own liability coverage.   And that is simply not true.  Our regulations specifically prohibit HSOs from engaging in any non-emergency medical treatment even if they own their own insurance company.

The main reason, of course, is that liability insurance not only covers the medical professional, but also their employer.  (In this case, CAP.)  If an HSO self-insured and then engaged in prohibited medical treatment that went sour, CAP, Inc. might still be on the hook.  So we can't allow HSOs to perform non-emergency treatment; violations of this "bright line rule" risk the very existence of CAP.  It doesn't take too many multi-million dollar malpractice verdicts before we are out of existence.

Just read and follow the regulations in this area.  They are pretty clear.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer

KioGoten

Ok... so I get it when it comes to our professional expertise we are basically on our own when it concerns the cadets.

But how would a MD, Nurse, Dietitian EMT ext who was designated a Health Services Officer by the CC get promoted? 

Some say its just a year in service to go from CAPT to MAJ but I cant find anything in the regs.

2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

lordmonar

Quote from: Ned on May 15, 2010, 07:46:57 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2010, 05:24:36 PM
That's not really true.

Pat,

I'm going to disagree strongly with this part.

That statement standing alone would make it seem like HSOs can engage in medical treatment as long as they have their own liability coverage.   And that is simply not true.  Our regulations specifically prohibit HSOs from engaging in any non-emergency medical treatment even if they own their own insurance company.

The main reason, of course, is that liability insurance not only covers the medical professional, but also their employer.  (In this case, CAP.)  If an HSO self-insured and then engaged in prohibited medical treatment that went sour, CAP, Inc. might still be on the hook.  So we can't allow HSOs to perform non-emergency treatment; violations of this "bright line rule" risk the very existence of CAP.  It doesn't take too many multi-million dollar malpractice verdicts before we are out of existence.

Just read and follow the regulations in this area.  They are pretty clear.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer
I'm sorry....you are correct.  That was what I was meant to say. 

We can give EMERGENCY MEDICAL treatment up to our personal level of training.....but CAP is NOT in the business of providing that training, certifying anyone in that training or providing that service.

A doctor on a ground team could do his thing to save a life....but he can't treat that same patient (or any patient) for his high blood pressure.

lordmonar

Quote from: KioGoten on May 15, 2010, 08:02:51 PM
Ok... so I get it when it comes to our professional expertise we are basically on our own when it concerns the cadets.

But how would a MD, Nurse, Dietitian EMT ext who was designated a Health Services Officer by the CC get promoted? 

Some say its just a year in service to go from CAPT to MAJ but I cant find anything in the regs.

CAPR 35-5 para 5-3 c. says that licensed physicians are initally appointed Capt and can be promoted to Maj after 1 year.

So a Dr would have to complete Level I and he would be a Capt.  Appoint him as a HSO and 1 year later they can pin on Maj.

KioGoten

Ahhh that is what I was looking for. 

So one year huh? Not that long  ;D

Is there anything n the regs which states that HSO can or can not teach the cadets about wellness, nutrition and exercise?

2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

arajca

Quote from: KioGoten on May 16, 2010, 07:36:28 PM
Ahhh that is what I was looking for. 

So one year huh? Not that long  ;D

Is there anything n the regs which states that HSO can or can not teach the cadets about wellness, nutrition and exercise?
Check CAPR 160-1. I believe there is some mention of those topics in the CPFT pamphlete (CAPP 52-18?). Actually, it sounds like a good idea.

KioGoten

They only reason I ask is because there has been an increasing ammount of children who are becoming obese in the country. 

I dont know if CAP cadets fit into that statistic but I dont want my cadets to get there... ever.

I am planning on teaching them about nutrition and wellness this upcoming meeting mixed in with their PT session. 

I saw that there is something about nutrition education in the CAP regs but its old lol.

Any way I could get these things updated or submit something so it could be updated?
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division