Main Menu

Service Cap

Started by A1Steaksauce, November 11, 2006, 12:54:37 AM

A1Steaksauce

I have just recently recived my "Officers Service Cap" and as no one at my squadron seems to know, how is it to be held when not being worn?

Thanks

shorning

Quote from: A1Steaksauce on November 11, 2006, 12:54:37 AM
I have just recently recived my "Officers Service Cap" and as no one at my squadron seems to know, how is it to be held when not being worn?

In your hand.  Likewise, you can find a place to set it down.

Hint:  there is no prescribed method of carrying it.  One of many reasons just to stick to the flight cap.

CAP428

I have seen many grasp the hat at the back of it [where it would rest on the back of your head], cupping your hand around the lip of the hat, if that makes any sense.  So, if you were standing there holding it, you would be holding it so that the top of the hat would be facing your leg, the inside of the hat would be facing outward.

There is no specific way to hold it, but these seems the most natural.

Psicorp

Watch some WWII movies and you'll get an idea.  Most of the time the cap goes from the Officer's head to a hat rack or desktop.  I've always carried it sort of like how a wide-reciever carries a football, with my left arm at near degrees and the hat resting between my body and my arm, hand gentle holding onto the bottom edge of the visor.  Whichever way you carry it, don't drop it and don't crush it.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

As a basically "hat wearing" American (fedora most of the time...Cowboy hat at times) the modern US is not outfitted for hats.  Only one establishment I know of has a hat rack.

Currently, I wear the service cap because I have given away three flight caps over the course of the year to aviators in need.  It seems every time I own one I give it away.  I've got one come from the CAPStore at Vangaurd right now....but we have some new recruits.  :'(

I find that it is best to find a secure desk-top/hat rack and place it down there.  If you have to carry it use the football method described in another post.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Camas

Hold it under your left arm as stated earlier with the bill facing forward.  When you set it down, don't place it upsidedown.  In time, the top will get soiled; place it upright.  It wouldn't hurt to keep it covered when you store it.

MIKE

I remember reading something for the CGAux that suggested a briefcase to carry the combination cap in.

The flight cap/garrison cap is just easier for me personally... for the uniforms it's authorized for... and it's cheaper.
Mike Johnston