MD Governor joins MD Wing Legislative Squadron

Started by md132, March 31, 2010, 03:25:18 PM

md132

PIKESVILLE, Md. -- Maryland Governor Martin J. O'Malley has become a member of the Maryland Wing Civil Air Patrol (CAP). He was presented his certificate of membership and other tokens at a ceremony held on March 27 at the Pikesville National Guard Armory in Pikesville, Md.

O'Malley will be part of the Maryland Wing's Legislative Squadron and has the honorary grade of Major. The Legislative Squadron consists of members of the Maryland state legislature, elected state officials, and their key staff members.

Col. Jerry Weiss, Maryland Wing commander, and Lt. Col. John Knowles, Maryland Wing vice commander, presented the Governor with his certificate, a Legislative Squadron baseball cap with the unit identifier MD-999 embroidered on it, and a Maryland Wing mug. In addition, Weiss and O'Malley exchanged challenge coins.

"My mom will be very proud of this," said O'Malley, referring to his mother, Barbara O'Malley, who served with the Civil Air Patrol as a cadet and is still a strong supporter of the organization.

Following the presentation, the Governor took time to discuss the local missions with Weiss and Knowles, who explained the aerial imagery missions conducted by Maryland Wing over I-95 and Intercounty Connector. O'Malley noted the State was focusing on some problem areas and CAP may be able to assist with the imagery.

"We are always looking for opportunities to train and this would be an a great training mission for Disaster Relief imagery and provide a real service to the state, a win-win for everyone," commented Lt. Col. John Knowles.

The ceremony was held following the annual muster of the Maryland Defense Force (MDF), part of the Maryland Military Department. Brig. Gen. James Adkins, Maryland Adjutant General, was on hand for the event and witnessed the CAP presentation, along with Brig. Gen. Courtney Wilson, MDF commanding general, and Brig. Gen. Fred Smalkin, former MDF commanding general and Civil Air Patrol member.

BGNightfall

:clap: :clap:  As a former MDWG Cadet, and a former MDDF member, I say right on!  It's great to hear about MDWG making such strong connections with the state.

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

md132

He was at our MDDF muster and after he talked with the MDDF troops and inspecting the troops, they had a little ceramony with COL Weiss.  He is a strong supporter of MDDF and CAP.  So is BG Adkins.  So this is great news.  Just a couple of years ago Governor Ehrlich signed an MOU with then Brig Gen Tuxill (Former MD TAG), MDDF CG BG Courtney Wilson, and MD Wing Commaner, COL Weiss to officially recognize the work of MD Wing with Maryland Military Department.