Is the Hock Store really done?

Started by SSIAJ, March 17, 2010, 02:23:43 AM

bosshawk

Yes, of course they do.  National makes every attempt at prompting us to buy from the "sponsors" because they provide a certain percentage of their sales to CAP.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Quote from: Dutchboy on March 18, 2010, 02:39:34 AM
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but does anyone know if CAP NHQ get a percentage of the VanGuard sales that the Hock Shop is not allowed to sell.  I thought I saw a memo once that stated they did. Just curious to know.

NHQ has indicated that Vanguard has donated several hundred thousand dollars to CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2010, 03:49:55 AM
Please forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but does anyone know if CAP NHQ get a percentage of the VanGuard sales that the Hock Shop is not allowed to sell.  I thought I saw a memo once that stated they did. Just curious to know.

NHQ has indicated that Vanguard has donated several hundred thousand dollars to CAP.

"Donated" or just sent us our share which was agreed upon when we signed the contract...

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on March 18, 2010, 04:02:07 AM"Donated" or just sent us our share which was agreed upon when we signed the contract...
I've always wondered which it was. If they're not contractually obligated to provide it, then it is a "donation". You can write those off on taxes.

vmstan

The notice at the top of the VG site says "donated" ... my guess is they are using the 501c status to their advantage. Seems it would be stupid of VG not to "donate" it and write it all off. It probably even says donation in the contract, which sweetens the deal for them.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Gunner C

Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2010, 03:49:55 AM

Which it promptly wasted in PAWG.

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Cecil DP

Quote from: Marshalus on March 18, 2010, 04:36:29 AM
The notice at the top of the VG site says "donated" ... my guess is they are using the 501c status to their advantage. Seems it would be stupid of VG not to "donate" it and write it all off. It probably even says donation in the contract, which sweetens the deal for them.

They would still get a tax writeoff as the license or royalty payment is a cost of doing business
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

FW

^Exactly. 
BTW; PAWG did not receive any money from Vangard.  The cash was used to help build a repelling tower at HMRS and update the facility; bringing it up to code.  The facility at HM is owned by CAP.  PAWG only administers the school.  CAP also spent money at NESA and NBB facilities.  I wouldn't call any of these expenditures waste however, YMMV.

PHall

Quote from: FW on March 18, 2010, 03:16:50 PM
^Exactly. 
BTW; PAWG did not receive any money from Vangard.  The cash was used to help build a repelling tower at HMRS and update the facility; bringing it up to code.  The facility at HM is owned by CAP.  PAWG only administers the school.  CAP also spent money at NESA and NBB facilities.  I wouldn't call any of these expenditures waste however, YMMV.

And you will notice not one dollar spent west of the Mississippi, hence the heartburn from those of us "out west".

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on March 18, 2010, 03:19:59 PM
^Exactly. 

And you will notice not one dollar spent west of the Mississippi, hence the heartburn from those of us "out west".
Do we have any facilites like that out west?

I'm sure that if CAWG or TXWG started building ES facilities they would get a chunk of the money.  As much heart burn as I have over HMRS....I have no problem with how the VG money is was spent.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ZigZag911

^Exactly. 

Since regulations strictly limit rappelling in CAP, and it's use is even more limited for CAP GTs, I would view funds expended on this tower as a waste.

FW

^Actually, HMRS has a waiver from NHQ for repelling; which is part of the school's curriculum.  Its use for GTs is problematic.  But, I'll leave that for another discussion... ;D

The funds we receive from Vangard can be used for facilities in the west however, to date, none exist.  The NEC (at least until now) has allowed funds to be released when there is a "matching fund" agreement with the members applying for money.  The funds are available for "regional training facilities" so.....

davidsinn

Why not give every squadron a percentage of those funds based on how many squadrons their currently are? That way everybody gets a fair piece.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on March 18, 2010, 04:49:19 PM
Why not give every squadron a percentage of those funds based on how many squadrons their currently are? That way everybody gets a fair piece.

You dilute the money and the end result accomplishes little. I've heard figures of 230K from Vanguard and ~1700 Units. That comes to ~$135 for each unit.

What were the funds assigned to NBB and NESA applied to?

tsrup

Quote from: davidsinn on March 18, 2010, 04:49:19 PM

When the funds are applied to a national activity such as NBB they can be better used because they would be more significant.  Not only that but every unit benefits from the enhancements at national activities because they are open to participation from every unit. 

Paramedic
hang-around.

Cecil DP

Quote from: PHall on March 18, 2010, 03:19:59 PM
^Exactly. 

Weren't those "wrapped" vans in the Dakotas paid for by the Vanguard rebates, royalties, or donations, however they're classified?
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

alamrcn

Quote from: lordmonarDo we have any facilities like that out west?

Most of our activities in the west are at adequate military and government installations.

The only CAP dedicated training facility out west that I can think of is the one sponsored by "Evergreen International" in Oregon. I heard they have at least a permanent PT "Obstacle" Course up on the training grounds, and maybe an Orientation Course as well. I'm not sure of any buildings or other permanent structures.

If the sponsor ever turned ownership of the land and any facilities over to Civil Air Patrol, I'm sure National who start contributing to upkeep and upgrades too.

But like others, I somewhat view Vanguard's donations as "blood money".

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

FW

Quote from: Cecil DP on March 18, 2010, 05:18:03 PM
Weren't those "wrapped" vans in the Dakotas paid for by the Vanguard rebates, royalties, or donations, however they're classified?

I think the vans were classified as "mobile" regional training facilities..... >:D

lordmonar

Quote from: ZigZag911 on March 18, 2010, 03:43:17 PM
^Exactly. 

Since regulations strictly limit rappelling in CAP, and it's use is even more limited for CAP GTs, I would view funds expended on this tower as a waste.
There is no restriction on repelling in CAP GTs......just with CAP cadets.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP