Main Menu

encampment dance

Started by CCAlex, July 28, 2010, 04:59:13 AM

ol'fido

The dances aka the "connubial rights" had pretty well died out at summer encampment by the late 90's. However, I fondly remeber the ones from my cadet days at Volk Field. We used to have them in the big hangar next to the old theater(which is no longer there) where we had most of our briefings. The one in '79 was at the Chanute officer's club. By the late 90's when I started going back to encampment, the dance evolved into a swimming party at a nearby state park.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CCAlex

people people, please! I was only saying an accurate description of our encampment, sheesh! don't kill me for it!

SarDragon

Hey, Alex! Does the shift key on whatever you're using to post happen to be broken? If so, you might want to get it fixed.

[we now return you to the dance]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CCAlex

Sorry I just realized that before you posted. :-[

Daniel

i just had a thought generally at dances in my area someone leaves with a black eye, how does that work in CAP?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on July 29, 2010, 01:27:22 AM
i just had a thought generally at dances in my area someone leaves with a black eye, how does that work in CAP?

The offenders are referred to as "Former Members"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2010, 01:29:28 AM

its not really a dance if no one goes into a testosterone-fueled rage now is it?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

DC

Quote from: Daniel L on July 29, 2010, 01:30:49 AM

its not really a dance if no one goes into a testosterone-fueled rage now is it?
I'd say it's not a dance if someone gets into a testosterone-fueled rage...

SJFedor

Quote from: Daniel L on July 29, 2010, 01:30:49 AM

Seriously? I'm only 24 and I don't remember ever seeing fights at any but 1 school dance when I was growing up.

Clubs and the like? Different story.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

raivo

Heh. My first thought on reading the thread title was "Encampment dance? Is that like a rain dance?"

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

exFlight Officer

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2010, 05:41:55 PM

Click the pic for a labeled picture.

Okay, so here's how our social went about. Conducted in a fully lit room, similar to a high school gym. No dark spots, SMs were everywhere, so no off-limits. You could eat, socialize, or dance. No one danced with each other- it was more Cha-Cha, Cupid Shuffle, rap, country and rock and roll. All fast stuff to have fun to. All appropriate. CAP/Staff member-owned items were used, no paying a DJ.

The picture is fairly well to scale- small dance area, except for when the Train went around the whole room ;D
Mostly socializing and enjoying *lemonade! and sweet tea* and the BBQ Pork or Chicken plates.

So, it wasn't a problem for anyone.

This was NOT a have-a-date dance. There was no slow-dancing, or dancing together. It was fun, plain and simple.

That is how I remember it as well DakRadz...until the train came around :D It was fun and I had a great time..even as a SM  :D

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2010, 08:31:25 PM
As I was trying to say in my previous post, no sir, not at all. The planned stress of encampment with activities, marching, etc. etc., that's something which should be taken and dealt with personally- you should know what's coming there.

When a cadet can't breath, hasn't told anyone he needs an inhaler frequently (parents were wrong here as well), and no one can find his PT shorts where he left that inhaler- things like this cause stress many teenagers aren't used to. This kind of stress upsets our SMs as well, so I'm sure that's not supposed to be a part of the "average" encampment.

For that, I enjoy the chance to relax, for a few hours. I think our social was 2 hours long. Before that, we were conducting a normal daily encampment schedule- activities, classroom, meals. After the social was over, we were sent back to our rooms where we were inspected for Honor Cadet/Honor Flight purposes ( :D ). Not exactly Easy Street anytime other than at the social.

If someone feels Flt/Sgt Ermey was too hard on him because his bed wasn't made, drink a nice tall glass of Suck It UpTM. That doesn't require or warrant decompression.

I remember that cadet with the asthma problem. I was the Safety Officer Assistant at this years encampment. I think the social was a little less than two hours but it was much needed for the cadets!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: raivo on July 30, 2010, 07:53:52 AM
Heh. My first thought on reading the thread title was "Encampment dance? Is that like a rain dance?"

^^^

Also agree with SJFedor on the Clubs, but that's a WHOLE other world from CAP.

As for "relaxing" after encampment, I personally loved the Full/Half Moon right off base. :)

Flying Pig

Sheeeeeeesh....

CAWG 1987-1993. Cadet Programs Conferences, Encampments at Vandenberg, all ended with formal dances.  I had a blast! 

bosshawk

Did you shave your head then?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

OldGuard

Same here Lord Steht... Good times   :)
Eaker#000 Earhart #8175 Mitchell#21034

Flying Pig

I had a mean looking flat top then!