Main Menu

Heat Dome warnings.

Started by Garibaldi, July 17, 2016, 05:21:29 PM

Garibaldi

Just saw this on CNN.com. Food for thought in the coming weeks, especially for our brothers and sisters in the midwest.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/weather/extreme-weather-heat-dome/index.html

Stay safe, stay hydrated.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Meh. It's summer it gets hot.

Not looking forward to walking from the train to the lakefront next week for a client.

For me it's the humidity. I like furnace hot, but I sweat through a shirt on the walk when it's humid.

Maybe I'll grab a divvy or an Uber.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

It's nothing I haven't lived through. I lived through the 1995 heatwave in Milwaukee, and the one in 1998 when the air didn't move, and 13 years in Arkansas where it was like breathing underwater, going into 140 degree attics to run cable and internet lines. Here in Georgia it isn't so bad, but it'll probably get much worse.

PHall

It's summer, the climate is changing, get used to it...

stillamarine

Try wearing 30 pounds of gear plus armor in Alabama. I've lost ten pounds in a week
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

sardak

The daily nationwide heat index forecast and the probabilities of the heat index being 95° and above in 5° increments: http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/heat_index_MAX.shtml

Heat safety: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/index.shtml

Mike

Sapper168

Heck that looks awesome for IL Wing Summer Encampment starting Saturday.  :o  ::)  8)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Live2Learn

Exactly how is this heat wave different from past torrid summers?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Pre-internet: Gonna be hot. Highs in the low to mid 90s to day.

Post internet: OMGWTFBBQ WHO TURNED ON THE OVEN IT'S BURNING MY EYES OUT OH MY GOD THE SUN IS SO BRIGHT HIGHS IN THE LOW TO MID 90s HYDRATE HEAT WARNING HEATAPOCALYPSE MUST POST TO FACEBOOK AND TWITTER ABOUT HOW I'M MELTING OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE GLOBAL WARMING CLIMATE CHANGE OMG OMG

Eclipse

"Excessive Heat Warnings" have started popping up on the various weather services, I'm sure the local
news will be wall-to-wall with apocalypse stuff.

The neighbor has a black asphalt driveway, I might try the egg fry thing just for snicks.

The highest I've personally experienced was 109° in Arizona.  It actually got to 112° that day but
I didn't get outside until the temps started dropping in the evening.  It literally felt like an oven
and I actually enjoyed it.

It hit 106° with like 1500% humidity down in MIWG when we were there, that's a lot worse.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

((*sigh*))

And so begins the parade of emails, both original and forwarded, telling us about how when it's hot you
should drink water and try to get cool.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2016, 05:53:19 PM
((*sigh*))

And so begins the parade of emails, both original and forwarded, telling us about how when it's hot you
should drink water and try to get cool.

And it will keep happening until people stop dying of heat-related issues to such a degree as they do now.

THRAWN

Just so I have this all straight in my head....it is hot in the summer...it is cold in the winter....coffee is hot...in WWII the Germans were bad....carry on....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2016, 11:27:03 PM
"Excessive Heat Warnings" have started popping up on the various weather services, I'm sure the local

The neighbor has a black asphalt driveway, I might try the egg fry thing just for snicks.

The highest I've personally experienced was 109° in Arizona.  It actually got to 112° that day but
I didn't get outside until the temps started dropping in the evening.  It literally felt like an oven
and I actually enjoyed it.

It hit 106° with like 1500% humidity down in MIWG when we were there, that's a lot worse.

I spend a bit of time in Oklahoma each year. It is hot in the summer. Keep the AC on and if you need to, change your shirt. It has only been like this for a few hundred thousand years. .
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2016, 11:27:03 PM

If you do, please lay down foil first.