Silver Medal of Valor

Started by BillB, January 08, 2009, 10:41:22 AM

RiverAux

Then why are the two valor medals done that way by CAP?  That is what I was getting at. 

Hawk200

Quote from: caphistorian on January 12, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
It is interesting to note that all of the CAP award certificates have a ribbon banner across the page and part of the CAP seal in the middle. The SMV and BMV are the only ones that have a neck drape style design on them.

I don't think that we have any need to convert an existing medal that has been that way for years to a neck decoration.

On another note, even if I was outvoted (provided there was a vote) and a neck decoration was adopted, I would have far less heartburn with a design based on the certficate. To be blunt, the one depicted in the original post looks cobbled together, and it also looks like complete crap. If it was done, then it should be done right.

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on January 12, 2009, 10:20:04 PM
Then why are the two valor medals done that way by CAP?  That is what I was getting at. 

Because it mirrors the military. Same thing with the AF decs I have, and the same as the Army Achievement I received. The medal certificates design probably date  back to a period when CAP had far more similarities to the AF, with far fewer differences.

RiverAux

Well, we're both really just speculating --- thats fine.

Timbo

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 12, 2009, 10:28:01 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 12, 2009, 10:20:04 PM

Because it mirrors the military. Same thing with the AF decs I have, and the same as the Army Achievement I received. The medal certificates design probably date  back to a period when CAP had far more similarities to the AF, with far fewer differences.

Correcto!  Don't forget for a very long time the AF ran CAP.  It is only during the past 30 years or so that CAP has actually run CAP.

Interesting....."Auxiliary United States Air Force" and today's "Air Force Auxiliary".....which we really can't even use unless we are on an AFAM.

How things change.

Hawk200

Quote from: Timbo on January 12, 2009, 11:27:31 PM
Don't forget for a very long time the AF ran CAP. 

Good point. When you think about it, the original certificate design may have been actually produced by the Air Force.

ltcmark

I agree with caphistorian 100% about the comparison to military medals.   I have never and will never compare my SMV to a military award.  No, I was not getting shot at by some enemy, although the actions that lead up to my SMV were none the less dangerous.  It is a CAP award - period.  As such, my medal and award certificate does have a prominent place on my wall.  I do not sleep with it, nor do I pick it up and pet it and say nice medal.  It is recognition that my peers judge what I did as heroic.

I did not wake up that morning saying "I think I will get the Silver Medal of Valor today".  The SMV is not something that you can plan for or earn by checking off boxes.  It was not until a week later, when we were retelling the drama at the squadron meeting, that someone said that was SMV material. 

A lot of people in CAP wonder if they will ever get a chance to use their emergency services training.   You never know.  You prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  The other question to ask is yourself is; what if you are presented the opportunity?  Will you run or fight?  I know what I will do; I will put my life at risk to save another. 

When you see a SMV or BMV on someone, you know that that person will cover your back, no questions asked.  In fact, when the fire started, the only thing on my mind was the people still in the burning kitchen.  30+ years of emergency services training kicked in and came down to 5 minutes of no hesitation, running into a burning kitchen, asking myself what the hell did I just get myself into, to let's find the people and get out the back door.

THAT IS WHAT CIVIL AIR PATROL IS ABOUT.

PlaneFlyr

I've had people imply to me in the past the SMV, BMV, and even Lifesaving Award are not fair since not everyone will have the opportunity presented to them to earn one.  I have trouble grasping the logic. 

As a couple others here said, nobody wakes up planning to get a medal that day.  In fact, I've never hear of any recipient that chose to go into the dangerous situation just because it would qualify them for a medal.  What the actions leading to these decorations represent is the spirit of being willing to help others in danger, regardless of the risk.  That's a characteristic we ought to encourage in our members (except maybe the "regardless of the risk" part).

There are plenty of good people in CAP with plenty of courage who would likely perform admirably under similar circumstances, but never get the opportunity.  That in no way should diminish the contribution of those people.  Their role in CAP is as important as mine. 

I've know people who have performed actions that clearly should have resulted in high recongnition, who were not submitted for it.  I consider that a lost opportunity to recognize our members.

I even had one SMV recipient, who 6 months later helped save another person at a traffic accident, ask me not to put him in for a well deserved lifesaving award, because he didn't want people to think he was a glory-hound.  This members actions are amazing.  I wish that he could have been properly recognized, but understand his reluctance.

And I've also spoken to another member who was put in a situation where he wanted to help out, and froze up and just watched.  He told me that he was ashamed by his inaction, especially in light of knowing several SMV recipients.  I told him that there was nothing wrong with how he acted.  Sometimes, it's best to use some discretion. 

We have all types of members in CAP.  All are valuable.  And all should be recognized when they do something that benefits CAP or makes the organization look good.

Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

Timbo

Quote from: PlaneFlyr on January 13, 2009, 01:35:54 PM
As a couple others here said, nobody wakes up planning to get a medal that day. 

What?!?!

I stand outside the nitroglycerin plant everyday waiting.............

ColonelJack

I've had people imply to me in the past the SMV, BMV, and even Lifesaving Award are not fair since not everyone will have the opportunity presented to them to earn one.  I have trouble grasping the logic.

That is probably because there is no real logic there to grasp.  That's the same mind-set that leads to everyone on a team getting a trophy or medal, whether it was earned or not, so "no one feels left out."  The trophies or medals are thus rendered essentially valueless.

Fair?  Somebody better tell those folks that life is not fair, nor was it ever guaranteed to be so.  Life is unfair, get used to it.  That's what I would say.

Sheesh.

Jack 
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

jimmydeanno

The SMV, BMV and Lifesaving awards are three decorations that I hope I never have the opportunity to earn.  For those of you who have earned them, thank you for your sacrifice and willingness to help others in a time of great need.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

FlexCoder

Quote from: caphistorian on January 08, 2009, 02:22:42 PM
My suggestions would be!

Corporate Uniform only (not the AF style jacket)
CAP Mess Dress (either neck drape or mini medal but not both.)
Blazer Combo

Our suggestions would be for you to start doing something constructive for CAP rather than focusing on medals & boosting your ego.  90% of your posts are focused on your medals or rank.   What happened to CAP history?  It's a Great Honor that your a hero of CAP but it's not at best that you want more than the Valor such as life membership, neck piece, etc.  Be humble and leave it at that!

BillB

FlexCoder, If you'll notice CAPHistorian did not start the thread. He was just voicing his opinion of the existing thread on wether the SMV and BMV should be worn as neck drapes.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: FlexCoder on January 26, 2009, 09:47:15 AM
My suggestions would be!

Blazer Combo

Our suggestions would be for you to start doing something constructive for CAP rather than focusing on medals & boosting your ego.  90% of your posts are focused on your medals or rank.   What happened to CAP history?  It's a Great Honor that your a hero of CAP but it's not at best that you want more than the Valor such as life membership, neck piece, etc.  Be humble and leave it at that!

FlexCoder, I'm not sure how much you've contributed to CAP, but I'm willing to bet it's a lot less than what CAPHistorian does on a regular basis.  That's just inconsiderate to flame someone who's giving germain responses to other people's posts.  He has as much right to reply the posts on here as you do.

And lest you think CAPHistorian "is focusing on medals & boosting [his] ego"... go down a few of my posts in this thread to where I mentioned some unnamed SMV recipient "who asked me not to put him in for a well deserved Lifesaving award, lest people think he was a glory hound".  CAPHistorian was the person I was talking about.  He's (most likely) saved more people's lives in the past 3 years than you ever have.  And he's done it on at least 2 occasions that I'm aware of, aside from the one he earned the SMV for.  And he CHOSE not to be recognized for the other actions, even though he absolutely would have been justified.  So I would politely ask that you back down before you make yourself look any more inconsiderate.  Why don't you simply thank the man for his service, and stop making personal attacks.

And to the rest of you reading this... thank you all for your service.  I consider all of our members to be heros simply for volunteering to do the hard work CAP asks of them... just because it's the right thing to do.
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

James Shaw

My suggestions would be!

Blazer Combo

I don't mind you voiceing your opinion but I do not appreciate personal attacks. If you are that interested in my work you can check the SER webpage and go from there.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

tarheel gumby

My suggestions would be!

Blazer Combo

Flex I really think that you missed the point made by CAPHistorian, and do not think that anybody has tried to inflate their egos or the importance of the MOV.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Rotorhead

As a couple others here said, nobody wakes up planning to get a medal that day.  In fact, I've never hear of any recipient that chose to go into the dangerous situation just because it would qualify them for a medal. 
That is the point. Not everyone will get the opportunity.

(What's next, the "I had the opportunity to perform in a manner worthy of decoration but I failed" medal?)

This is, sadly, what happens when you give every kid on the soccer team a trophy just for showing up. 
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

lordmonar

Even on active duty we have had a similar discussion about medals.

I was in a combat communications unit stationed out of germany.  On the average I would spend 3 months on station then deploy from anywhere from 2 weeks to 120 days.

Each deployment came with an opprotunity to get decorated depending on the mission and what actually happened.

So in my 4 years with the Combat Comm...I got 1 joint service acheivement medal for Bosnia, 1 AF aceivement Medal for Kosovo and 1 Commendation Medal for my end of tour, plus a lot of campaign and service medals. 

Compared to my overseas comm brothers they could normally only look forward to their end of tour medal at 2 or 3 years depending on their tour lengths.  Compared to my stateside brothers who would only be considered when they PCS'es (4-5 years on average).

So was this "fair" because no one really has any control of what type of assignement they are going to get (you volunteer for Germany not for specific units in Germany)?  Yes and No.

It is fair in that if you do the deed you get the medal...it is not fair in that I got the opportunity to do the deed.

That is what they call life.  Get over it.  When I was on acitive duty I did not ever want to "win" a combat medal......but I don't give those who got the opportunity and answered the call a hard time about it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

^ Bravo Zulu
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340