Plastic encased rank insignias

Started by piperl4, January 13, 2008, 01:46:35 AM

CASH172

^At the last meeting I watched, the Vanguard representative said that the usual vendor for the plastic encased ranks wasn't making them anymore.  He also said attempts to find new vendors weren't going very well and anyone that made them had such terrible quality.  He recommended that a new cloth-only type of insignia be made for the flight suit.  He said that would be much easier to manufacture and that it could be made in almost any color scheme.

Tubacap

^anybody know if it is on the agenda for this particular NB?  I just got the incomplete order from Vanguard too with this same issue.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

O-Rex

I thought I heard someone say that Vanguard got a shipment of Plastic-encased rank insignia (?)

356cadet

The Hock Shop should sell them... I'm not completely sure, though

Psicorp

Quote from: 356cadet on July 04, 2008, 04:19:59 AM
The Hock Shop should sell them... I'm not completely sure, though

The Hock is out too. I called them today and was told that they do not currently have a supplier.   
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Psicorp

I just got off the phone with Vanguard to inquire on the backorder status.  I was told that they are expecting a delivery from the manufacturer "any day now" and that they are hoping to start sending them out within two weeks.

Apparently we are waiting on AF approval to use cloth insignia on the AF flightsuit.

Just thought I'd give ya'll the update.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

I can't think of a better reason for moving away from these plactic encased ranks than lack of availabilty.  I ordered some, and got Capt's bars of a low quality.

Would a transition to sew on or velcro be a better move?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Psicorp on July 07, 2008, 06:38:29 PM
I just got off the phone with Vanguard to inquire on the backorder status.  I was told that they are expecting a delivery from the manufacturer "any day now" and that they are hoping to start sending them out within two weeks.

I would not suggest the below while you wait:

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

I was told that they are expecting a delivery from the manufacturer "any day now" and that they are hoping to start sending them out within two weeks.

Is there any reason why CAP can't just allow us to order the insignias from the original manufacturer instead of going through Vanguard??

What a load of CRAP.  CAP needs to allow anyone and everyone to produce insignia, whatever it takes, to make the cost passed on to the member as minimal as possible.  CAPNHQ really screwed us all over by going with one supplier.

What's up monkeys?

KyCAP

As a "promotable" MAJ I went ahead and placed an order with Vanguard on Monday.   They said that they had NO IDEA of an ETA for the delivery of these.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

O-Rex

Apparently we are waiting on AF approval to use cloth insignia on the AF flightsuit.

Really?  When was it an NB item?  I must've missed that one.

If so, it would cure alot of ills. . . .

Eclipse

Quote from: O-Rex on July 11, 2008, 03:39:25 PM

Really?  When was it an NB item?  I must've missed that one.

If so, it would cure alot of ills. . . .

Its been on and off the table for years, but I didn't think it was currently under review...

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Is the fabric ultramarine blue, or is it (please God) sage green ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on July 11, 2008, 06:14:20 PM

I vote for green. Anyone want to second?

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 11, 2008, 06:16:54 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on July 11, 2008, 06:14:20 PM

I vote for green. Anyone want to second?

It would never be green.  Vanguard would not make money off of us if it were readily available from EVERY supplier known. 

Once again......if it is sewn on, expect to look like a clown. 
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Anytime it was considered it was the standard CAP bright on ultramarine blue.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2008, 07:04:11 PM

In other words it automatically must look like > mess < :-[
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JayT

So, let me just get this all straight.

Rather then wear insignia that we already have sitting in our desks, and have them for all ranks, you'd rather wear some new insignia that no one else wears.

Am I in the ball park here?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

PHall

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on July 11, 2008, 08:41:13 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2008, 07:04:11 PM

In other words it automatically must look like > mess < :-[

Before the Air Force standardized on the blue on sage green rank insignia for everybody,  Air Training Command wore the white on blue grade insignia.

And the white on blue insignia is readily available...

mikeylikey

Quote from: JThemann on July 12, 2008, 11:42:31 PM
So, let me just get this all straight.

Rather then wear insignia that we already have sitting in our desks, and have them for all ranks, you'd rather wear some new insignia that no one else wears.

Am I in the ball park here?

Subdued AF Officer insignia.......cheaper than the blue and white being sold by vanguard.  Much cheaper than plastic encased.  Unfortunately, because there are not enough of your type of Officer, you will be left out in the cold.  But you should be used to that by now.  Do you yet have a gortex slide?  

We need to get costs down, and go with items that are readily available.  Subdued sew on insignia would be that item.  There are more 2nd Lt's through Lt Colonels out there than there are FO's.  So it would make sense to consider the majority, not the minority.  BUT I bet we could even find someone to manufacture FO subdued insignia for you if need be.  
What's up monkeys?