Plastic encased rank insignias

Started by piperl4, January 13, 2008, 01:46:35 AM

SAR-EMT1

As someone who will be certified in Scanning this weekend and will immediately move into Observer training Im going to be in the market for a flightsuit.

Im wondering whether to get blue or green for the suit. Green is cheaper (surplus) which is a big plus, but I didnt know if blue would look better from a color perspective. ... comments welcome
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Blue.

Looks sharper, won't have oddly contrasting or greenhouse grade, you can wear it even if the donuts get away from you, you decide to go Grizzly Adams, or the wife likes your hair a little longer...

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Does that mean you'll find me a wife?  >:D

When is CAP officially ditching the encased rank?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SJFedor

Quote from: RiverAux on January 13, 2008, 06:49:00 PM
QuoteI sense some sarcasm there.... 
Only "some"?? 

Seriously though I think it is a safety issue,  though a very, very, very minor one. 

Yeah, but if you're on fire, the little blocks of plastic melting to your shoulders are probably the least of your concerns.  ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 15, 2008, 05:35:47 PM

I think it was already said above that its been proposed but there's been no action.  Feb NB meeting would be the next opportunity.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2008, 05:43:17 PM

I think it was already said above that its been proposed but there's been no action.  Feb NB meeting would be the next opportunity.

Getting him a wife, or loosing the plastic insignia?  :P :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RogueLeader

Quote from: SJFedor on January 15, 2008, 05:44:24 PM

I think we'd have better luck finding Steve Fossett than a wife. >:D >:D  But if you do, I need one as well.
;D

Well, for the Blue flight suit, it changed a while back.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ColonelJack

I think we'd have better luck finding Steve Fossett than a wife. >:D >:D  But if you do, I need one as well.
;D

Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it.

BTDT,

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

jason.pennington

In regards to the reply mentioning safety and the nomex material:

It really does not matter if we have plastic encased insignia.  Every place on the flight suit that has velcro patches sewn on diminishes the effectiveness of the nomex.  The velcro patches will melt a long time before the flight suit reaches its 300 degree F charring temperature!

Psicorp

I placed a uniform item order with Vanguard two weeks ago and just received an email stating that my order was shipped but shipped incomplete.  The plastic encased insignia are on back order.  I checked "the Hock" website and it says they are unavailable there too. 

Anyone know of another source?
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

piperl4

They are just not available anymore. Vertually no one makes them. The CAP needs to address it but seems not to be on the important list. Been a problem for a couple of years now. Dont worry they will have an answer within 4 years

heliodoc

YEP

CAP SHOULD get with the times.  Eliminate the plastic cased insignia and just put rank/grade on velcro
nameplate

But I know traditions die hard.  What happens when you can't buy black combat boots anymore other than Vanguard and those are probably made in China or Thailand.

CAP needs to address the new series of flight boots, too.  When black combats dies and the membership has to fork out for Bates, 5.11's, and others, then one could argue all the Belleville series tan, black, and sage green flight boots would be near the cost also.  The may not be black, BUT are ISSUE and CAP should be able to ID with that, BUT I know better

GET RID of the plastic encased rank, they are not necessary, and the real military has gotten rid 'em a LONG time ago..... Get with it CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 16, 2008, 02:33:08 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on January 15, 2008, 05:44:24 PM

;D

Well, for the Blue flight suit, it changed a while back.

I've got a wife I'd like to get rid of.  What will you trade?
Another former CAP officer

piperl4

You want a Wife, what are you nuts!!!! that is nothing more than a future alimony payment. Nevada is much cheaper including the air fare. And they dont care what rank you are.

Beleieve me after 4 I am ready to trade one for anything of value. even a set of Captains bars in green mildewed plastic.

I will even give you the pick of alimony payments you wish. :)

Major Carrales

Quote from: piperl4 on July 02, 2008, 10:22:03 PM
You want a Wife, what are you nuts!!!! that is nothing more than a future alimony payment. Nevada is much cheaper including the air fare. And they dont care what rank you are.

Beleieve me after 4 I am ready to trade one for anything of value. even a set of Captains bars in green mildewed plastic.

I will even give you the pick of alimony payments you wish. :)

4 wives?  You must really love mariage to have had so many wives.  ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

piperl4

Well sometimes in life you just got to admit you blew it. When your not good at something you should just not do it anymore. Took a while to get that through.  I will say I am a much better pilot than husband thank God.

That said my "current wife" is a CAP member and rated Scanner and enjoys the air as much as I do so there is a decent chance she will need a set of plastic encased Captains bars soon. Then again she may get hand me downs if we can't find them anywhere.

If you cant laugh at yourself in life then you have no right to laugh at others is my way of thinking.

Smokey

I gave up on trying to get the plastic rank...one of my flight suits has it, the other, well....I put embroidered on it......no other choice (except to leave rank off).....I guess they will have to gig me.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

MIKE

Gig for Smokey... Incorrect uniform.
Mike Johnston

Psicorp

Quote from: MIKE on July 03, 2008, 04:34:26 PM
Gig for Smokey... Incorrect uniform.

Which until the NB corrects the problem will be a decision we'll have to make.  Do we wear an incorrect uniform by not wearing grade on the shoulders or do we wear an incorrect uniform via incorrect grade style?   I'm all for the embroidered grade.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

FlyingTerp

Quote from: Psicorp on July 03, 2008, 05:02:42 PM
Which until the NB corrects the problem will be a decision we'll have to make.  Do we wear an incorrect uniform by not wearing grade on the shoulders or do we wear an incorrect uniform via incorrect grade style?  I'm all for the embroidered grade.

Regardless of what the NB decides to do, any change in the green flight suit will require USAF approval.  I vaguely remember it was discussed at one of the recent NB meetings.  Since minutes haven't been posted, I have no idea what they decided to do (or request).

This really puts our membership in a bad position....