Started by Stonewall, July 25, 2012, 02:09:36 AM

What do you think?

Stonewall's uniform for EVERYONE
Stick with BDU/BBDU's
Hold out for ABU's

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 25, 2012, 07:37:44 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 03:22:55 PM
1 - The USAF itself will not be wearing ABU's much longer, the writing's on the wall.

Cite please from a valid source and not military.com or a AF Times snippet.

I just checked with the person who made this assertion - he's right.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 08:42:56 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 25, 2012, 07:37:44 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 03:22:55 PM
1 - The USAF itself will not be wearing ABU's much longer, the writing's on the wall.

Cite please from a valid source and not military.com or a AF Times snippet.

I just checked with the person who made this assertion - he's right.

Again cite with a valid verifiable source.  Unless your source is SECAF, CSAF, or CMSAF then i doubt it is valid.

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 25, 2012, 09:43:16 PM
Again cite with a valid verifiable source.  Unless your source is SECAF, CSAF, or CMSAF then i doubt it is valid.

There's no source to cite, this is simple deduction and logic.  The writing is on the wall, it's just painted in
subtle colors.  You can choose to ignore it right up to the point where it's highlighted in a bright contrasting color.

What is certain, and verifiable, is that our military's field uniforms have been in a state of flux for a decade -
both on the whole and respective to each service, and between some in Congress who would like to see
a consolidated multi-service uniform, and the various tidbits about the Army's abandoning the ACU, the situation,
which a year ago looked like it was finally going to settle down, is only going to get less stable in the next 3-5 years.

So while there are a number of changes that should be made to our uniforms and regulations, the whole-scale adoption
of a new pattern and cut, which would have to include new rules for the hows and wheres of various insignia, would
not be a worth-while endeavor, since it is very likely that by the time we reached a new sundown, the USAF would be
into their new field uniform, be it a multi-service or something unique to the USAF.

The best thing CAP NHQ could do for its members would be to fix 39-1, continue to allow cadets to wear camo, and
move all seniors to the BBDU. Seniors with camo today could pass it down for units to issue, and we'd all be in the same
git-ups.  Then once things have stabilized (say 2015-2018), we consider something "new".

I'd put a 1-year sundown on senior camo, and a 3-year moratorium on significant changes.  That ends the issue and the debate
until further notice from NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 10:39:13 PM

The best thing CAP NHQ could do for its members would be to fix 39-1, continue to allow cadets to wear camo, and
move all seniors to the BBDU. Seniors with camo today could pass it down for units to issue, and we'd all be in the same
git-ups.  Then once things have stabilized (say 2015-2018), we consider something "new".

Attachments and other options

Disagree. Although the ability to wear the AF style uniform is a PRIVILEGE, I don't want to wear the BBDU. If forced, then...I don't know. We seniors already have a distinctive uniform, the golf shirt combo, which is also worn by the AF.

Now, if they make us go back to the Smurf Suit, then I'll find another way to spend my time. BBDUs are OK for those of us who don't conform to weight or grooming standards, but for those of us who have chosen to stay with the AF style BDUs, I can say one of two things.

1. Don't tease us with ABUs. If authorization doesn't happen at this National Conference, I guess the issue will be dead in the water.
2. Leave CAP as the only organization that wears BDUs. I mean, every branch already has their own version of Multicam or Digicam or ACU or whatever. There was some sense of unity when every service wore BDUs. Now it's all hodgepodge. Four uniforms for four service branches. Why not a fifth for us?

Remember the time we were going to have to wear the silver braid on the sleeves of our dress blue jackets instead of epaulet sleeves? How long did that last? Less than a year? I guess my point is, if I have one, is that the uniform debate is going to go on, regardless of what we get to wear or don't get to wear. Eventually, we'll move on from BDUs, I suppose. Exactly what is anyone's guess, but FWIW I don't think ABUs are in our future either, but for different reasons.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 10:39:13 PM

There's no source to cite, this is simple deduction and logic.  The writing is on the wall, it's just painted in
subtle colors.  You can choose to ignore it right up to the point where it's highlighted in a bright contrasting color.

What is certain, and verifiable, is that our military's field uniforms have been in a state of flux for a decade -
both on the whole and respective to each service, and between some in Congress who would like to see
a consolidated multi-service uniform, and the various tidbits about the Army's abandoning the ACU, the situation,
which a year ago looked like it was finally going to settle down, is only going to get less stable in the next 3-5 years.

So while there are a number of changes that should be made to our uniforms and regulations, the whole-scale adoption
of a new pattern and cut, which would have to include new rules for the hows and wheres of various insignia, would
not be a worth-while endeavor, since it is very likely that by the time we reached a new sundown, the USAF would be
into their new field uniform, be it a multi-service or something unique to the USAF.

I'd put a 1-year sundown on senior camo, and a 3-year moratorium on significant changes.  That ends the issue and the debate
until further notice from NHQ.

So basically you are speculating and assuming with nothing to substantiate it?  The ABU per AF leadership is going to be here for a while, and I do not see congress anytime soon cramming a standard uniform across the board.  They want to cut 500 billion out of defense spending alone in order to reduce the deficit.  There is no writing on the wall in subtle colors slowly becoming brighter and brighter. 

Fact CSAF has said all uniform changes are on hold indefinitely until other issues are ironed out and with the AF having to make cuts that hold may be a long one. 

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on July 25, 2012, 06:18:53 AMI rarely make absolute statements...but we are NOT getting ABU's.

Rather bold statement. Is that something you can cite a source for or is that your personal opinion?
Because to eliminate confusion by the readers it really should be labeled as either a fact or opinion.

AngelWings

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 25, 2012, 11:27:43 PM
So basically you are speculating and assuming with nothing to substantiate it?  The ABU per AF leadership is going to be here for a while, and I do not see congress anytime soon cramming a standard uniform across the board.  They want to cut 500 billion out of defense spending alone in order to reduce the deficit.  There is no writing on the wall in subtle colors slowly becoming brighter and brighter. 

Fact CSAF has said all uniform changes are on hold indefinitely until other issues are ironed out and with the AF having to make cuts that hold may be a long one.
Exactly. The USAF is much more worried about operating than how they look right now.

GroundHawg

I love ODs.

I wish we would have never went to BDUs and just stayed with OD Jungles.

I hope we never go to ABUs. I have to wear them on drill weekends and that is quite enough thank you!

I hope and pray that someone at NHQ realizes that 39-1 is a SERIOUS PROBLEM. We need and want it fixed!

I should think vanguard would be on board with the switch as now they could market a uniform that every single member must wear, think of the profits off that.

AngelWings

How about we all just go to EOD bomb suits! Problem solved! It's rugged, is military, integrated cold weather gear, no need to shine boots, makes us look good, and we'll all be the same! Plus, SAFETY FIRST!  >:D We could even use Green for those in H/W, and grey for those who are not. I think we've found the answer to all of our problems!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Dad2-4

IMHO, same field/utility/fatigue uniform for everyone, fat and fuzzy or slim and slick. Solid color. Military style, two piece, untucked, i.e. BDU/ABU style. Tapes' background color to match the uniform, white lettering. Boots, black and clean. Patches to a minimum: US flag, qualification badges/wings (background color to match uniform), unit patch.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dad2-4 on July 26, 2012, 01:43:51 AM
IMHO, same field/utility/fatigue uniform for everyone, fat and fuzzy or slim and slick. Solid color. Military style, two piece, untucked, i.e. BDU/ABU style. Tapes' background color to match the uniform, white lettering. Boots, black and clean. Patches to a minimum: US flag, qualification badges/wings (background color to match uniform), unit patch.

Yes, please.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Quote from: Stonewall on July 25, 2012, 02:57:58 AM
Meh, I think the blue uniform looks dorky and even less military-esque than a solid OD uniform.
Yeah, so?  Why do we need to look military-esque? CIVIL Air Patrol.  CIVILIAN Auxiliary.  We are not military.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

SarDragon

Oh, no! It's RM's twin brother!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on July 26, 2012, 01:48:55 AM
Quote from: Dad2-4 on July 26, 2012, 01:43:51 AM

Yes, please.

OK OK...I'd do all-black. Best case, OG jungle fatigues with subdued patches. >:D just like the old days...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AngelWings

From now on every time someone says CIVIL Air Patrol, a puppy is put through 5 years worth of safety briefings. Do not abuse the puppy this way.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AngelWings on July 26, 2012, 05:44:49 AM
From now on every time someone says CIVIL Air Patrol, a puppy is put through 5 years worth of safety briefings. Do not abuse the puppy this way.

Might as well add Cyborg with his Confederate colors. He may be against it, but I feel that he's posting it up so much that he's doing "their" work for them.  >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 26, 2012, 06:03:21 AM
Might as well add Cyborg with his Confederate colors. He may be against it, but I feel that he's posting it up so much that he's doing "their" work for them.  >:D

Just taking the mick out of the "grey is the only way" zealots. :P

I am firmly against any cute, cuddly little animals being put through five minutes of a safety briefing...and I was a safety officer for several years. :-X
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2012, 03:40:45 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on July 25, 2012, 02:21:56 AM
Sir, I don't want to be a pickle.

I was a pickle BITD, and it was OK. There's been no serious mental scarring, and I was proud to wear it. I much prefer it to the BDUs, which I have also worn.

I've noticed the funny twitch of the head you have.   ;D