Main Menu

Unit Citation

Started by C/2d Lt, June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

C/2d Lt

I have seen lots of cadet that have this ribbon. How are squadrons able to get this or is it a personal thing awarded to a cadet.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

This is a unit (squadron, group, wing, etc) award, hence the name Unit Citation. It is awarded for superior performance over a specified period. There's more about it in CAPR 39-3.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

CAPR 39-3 AWARD OF CAP MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND CERTIFICATES
Corrected Copy 7 February, 2012 - Page 7

"Unit Citation Award. Awarded for exceptionally meritorious service or exceptionally outstanding achievement which clearly sets the unit above and apart from similar units. Members are awarded the Unit Citation ribbon if they were members of the unit during the time period for which the citation is awarded.
(1) Recognition of meritorious service should cover a period of at least 12 months in order to permit the recommending authority to consider simultaneously units with related missions, compare all the units within their wing or region, and select the truly outstanding unit meriting the award.
(2) Recognition of outstanding achievements intended to recognize a single specific act or notable accomplishment that is separate and distinct from the normal mission or regular function of the unit. The period of an outstanding achievement is normally short and characterized by definite beginning and ending dates."

EMT-83

An often-forgotten clause is where the member had to belong to the unit when the award was issued.

Angus

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 19, 2012, 07:39:48 PM
An often-forgotten clause is where the member had to belong to the unit when the award was issued.

That's true until it was pointed out everyone that joined my old unit got one when they joined.  Once it was pointed out that stopped also those of us who were wearing it when we werent'supposed to also stopped and took it off. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

spacecommand

Correct, you only wear a unit citation only if you were a member of the unit during the time period for which the citation was awarded.

SarDragon

User  "Cadet" please check your messages.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: Cadet on June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

I have seen lots of cadet that have this ribbon.

If the NYWG got a Unit Citation for the period 7/1/2011 to 12/31/2011 everyone who was a member then got it. You the new guy who joined in January 2012 will not have it but every other Cadet will have it.   8)

MSG Mac

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 20, 2012, 11:34:12 AM
Quote from: Cadet on June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

I have seen lots of cadet that have this ribbon.

If the NYWG got a Unit Citation for the period 7/1/2011 to 12/31/2011 everyone who was a member then got it. You the new guy who joined in January 2012 will not have it but every other Cadet will have it.   8)

Make sure it says "New York Wing" not "New York Wing Headquarters" Headquarters means only those who were assigned to NER_NY-001, and not the entire Wing.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

It's one of my biggest uniform pet peeves - a C/Amn with 5 Unit Citations.  >:D

HGjunkie

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 20, 2012, 03:15:25 PM
It's one of my biggest uniform pet peeves - a C/Amn with 5 Unit Citations.  >:D
I vote for the army style of unit citations where you can wear the ones the unit earned but not you specifically for as long as you're in the unit...  >:D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 20, 2012, 04:00:04 PMI vote for the army style of unit citations where you can wear the ones the unit earned but not you specifically for as long as you're in the unit...

Why?  Those serve zero purpose to anyone.  They reward nothing, and engender an attitude of entitlement.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 20, 2012, 04:00:04 PMI vote for the army style of unit citations where you can wear the ones the unit earned but not you specifically for as long as you're in the unit...

Why?  Those serve zero purpose to anyone.  They reward nothing, and engender an attitude of entitlement.
You missed the evil smiley at the end of my post. I wasn't completely serious.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Having browser issues - some of the emoticons aren't rendering correctly.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

When I have browser issues, it's usually because they're in the middle of the aisle and won't move or they're moving like pond water. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 06:57:55 PM

Odd, they look fine in IE.

(As hard as I tried, I couldn't stop myself)

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 20, 2012, 07:02:42 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 06:57:55 PM

Odd, they look fine in IE.

(As hard as I tried, I couldn't stop myself)

May the FSM strike down your broadband and banish you to the evils of AOL dial-up for all eternity for even suggesting that!

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 04:25:45 PM

Roger that. My Army Unit has a PUC from Korea 1953. 

AlphaSigOU

In the olden days when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was but a young cadink CAP (and the Air Force) used to follow the Army's wear rule of unit citations. (And the Air Force used to wear unit citations over the right pocket back in the 50s. Now I'm not THAT old...  ;D ) Eventually, the rule was changed so that you only wear the unit citations earned if you were in that unit during the award period. Unfortunately, there are a great many CAP units who don't bother reading the regs and rely on incorrect information passed down by word of mouth.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

I joined the USAF in 86......and the ARMY rule was long gone by then.....anyone know when the USAF changed?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: lordmonar on June 21, 2012, 08:45:21 PM
I joined the USAF in 86......and the ARMY rule was long gone by then.....anyone know when the USAF changed?

I think it was in the 60s when the wear rule changed. I do remember back when I was a cadet older versions of CAPR 39-3 from as far back as the 70s still had the Army rule.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

The old rule was probably in effect back in the '90's. Asked a few cadet one stripers why they had three and four unit citations. Most told me that they were told to wear them.

Seem to recall at the time that it didn't specify that membership in the unit at the time the citation covered was required.

Jquick

Quote from: spacecommand on June 19, 2012, 08:03:47 PM
Correct, you only wear a unit citation only if you were a member of the unit during the time period for which the citation was awarded.

GOOD POINT, likewise, you are only authorized to wear the unit citation while serving with that unit.  I.E. when I moved to a new wing and unit, I no longer wore the unit citation.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~Alvin Toffler

Eclipse

Quote from: Jquick on June 24, 2012, 09:55:18 PM

GOOD POINT, likewise, you are only authorized to wear the unit citation while serving with that unit.  I.E. when I moved to a new wing and unit, I no longer wore the unit citation.

Incorrect.  If you received the award you do not remove the ribbon if you transfer to a different unit, echelon, or wing.
The awards are permanent.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

I've never heard a firm answer to this question...

In order to wear the award, does one have to be a member for the ENTIRE award period?

Example:  XYZ unit was awarded a unit citation for the period 1/1/2011-12/31/2011.

Member ABC joined after 1/1/2011 but before 12/31/2011.  Is that member entitled to wear the unit citation ribbon?

Jquick

I stand corrected as I just referenced CAPR 39-3; however, I disagree with this.  The unit was awarded the citation, and not the individual person or persons.  The individual should receive the commanders commendation, and that should remain in the person service jacket, the unit citation applies to unit at the time the award was bestowed.  IMHO, continued wear once you leave the unit cheapens the award, and down plays the rationale behind the receiving it.  If you disagree, that's fine, but consider submitting you personnel for commanders commendations instead of unit citations.

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument.  Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;  temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.  Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.  Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back. 
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~Alvin Toffler

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on June 25, 2012, 12:42:19 AM
In order to wear the award, does one have to be a member for the ENTIRE award period?

No, you simply have to have been on the roster during the period cited - from day 1 or day 100.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2012, 12:46:10 AM
Quote from: Woodsy on June 25, 2012, 12:42:19 AM

No, you simply have to have been on the roster during the period cited - from day 1 or day 100.

Thanks!

Eclipse

Quote from: Jquick on June 25, 2012, 12:44:05 AM
I stand corrected as I just referenced CAPR 39-3; however, I disagree with this.  The unit was awarded the citation, and not the individual person or persons. 
Actually, since the "unit" is a collection of members, it is the collective effort of the respective members that is being cited for
excellence.

The individual should receive the commanders commendation, and that should remain in the person service jacket, the unit citation applies to unit at the time the award was bestowed.  IMHO, continued wear once you leave the unit cheapens the award, and down plays the rationale behind the receiving it.  If you disagree, that's fine, but consider submitting you personnel for commanders commendations instead of unit citations.
It is not uncommon for individuals in units who are receiving UC's to also receive Comm Comms for their personal efforts in regards to the same collective efforts which earned the UC.

i.e. "SM Johnson's tireless efforts in coordinating the training activities of AZ-007 resulted in the highest level of qualified ES  personnel in the entire wing for a two-year period."  UC for AZ-007, because that's not a singular effort, and Comm Comm for Johnson.

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument. 

What lends credibility to my argument is a knowledge of the respective regulations, and checking them before making definitive statements.

Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;  temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.  Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.  Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back.

Welcome to CAP Talk.

"That Others May Zoom"

spaatzmom

I stand corrected as I just referenced CAPR 39-3; however, I disagree with this.  The unit was awarded the citation, and not the individual person or persons.  The individual should receive the commanders commendation, and that should remain in the person service jacket, the unit citation applies to unit at the time the award was bestowed.  IMHO, continued wear once you leave the unit cheapens the award, and down plays the rationale behind the receiving it.  If you disagree, that's fine, but consider submitting you personnel for commanders commendations instead of unit citations.

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument.  Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;  temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.  Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.  Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back.

Wow, you are new to this forum and on the defensive already after 4 posts, while Eclipse has been here contributing well over 15k posts.  Where does it say that any debate, which this forum is has to be warm and fuzzy all the time.  These are peoples experiences, observations, and opinions.  If we all had to believe the same thing, it would be very dull and likely a dictatorship.  As long as I can reasonably defend my beliefs with documentation to support my post, I do not mind entertaining another's opinion.  Why don't you?

Jquick

This thread has far digressed from the intended topic.

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse, I apologize for my ignorance in CAPR 39-3; however, take my advice, Starting any post as confrontational as that on does not lend any credibility to your argument. 

How is it confrontational? Because it said you are incorrect?

Discussion boards like these are intended to be a free exchange of ideas, not a place to become argumentative;

Free? Yes. Freely accepted? No.

temper your post and avoid the usage of trigger words.

Incorrect? Really?

Trust me I have years of experience typing documents, emails, position paper,  well as other professional correspondence.

I also have years of experience typing documents, emails, position papers, and other professional correspondence.  I'm 22.

Once you hit enter, it's hard to get it back.

There's always the edit button, but I suppose I actually agree with this one.

spaatzmom

Quote from: Jquick on June 25, 2012, 01:58:30 AM
This thread has far digressed from the intended topic.

Many of them do just as in normal conversation.  So what is your point?  Don't like the way the thread is going attempt to get it back on track via the moderators or don't respond letting it die on the vine.  Believe me, the moderators are very capable and do their voluntary job quite well.

spacecommand

I have no problems with a member continuing to wear a unit citation when they move to another unit.  It represents part of the member's career along with all the member's other ribbons, in this case it represents that they were a member of a unit that did something that warranted a citation and no way "cheapens" the award.  In my parts it's completely opposite of what you say, I had members transfer into my unit with unit citations, and generally we all view it in high regard. 

Майор Хаткевич

Something semi-related: Why isn't there a ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction?

Gets a streamer just like the UC, but doesn't have a way to be represented on the chest resume.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2012, 02:24:44 AM
Something semi-related: Why isn't there a ribbon for Squadron of Merit/Distinction?

Gets a streamer just like the UC, but doesn't have a way to be represented on the chest resume.

I've wondered that myself, though the criteria for the merit / distinction is not necessarily on a par with a UC.

I'd say it could be justified that a unit awarded merit could be put in for a UC on that basis, though a UC decorates the
whole unit while merit is specific to the cadet side of the house, and we all know far too many units where the 'twain
ner' meet.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

If you were in the unit when issued, it was permanent. That remains as part of the rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 25, 2012, 02:43:43 AM

I've wondered that myself, though the criteria for the merit / distinction is not necessarily on a par with a UC.

I'd say it could be justified that a unit awarded merit could be put in for a UC on that basis, though a UC decorates the
whole unit while merit is specific to the cadet side of the house, and we all know far too many units where the 'twain
ner' meet.

Could be a specific cadet ribbon then. Just something that was on the mind anyway.

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 25, 2012, 04:21:56 AM

ner' meet.

Could be a specific cadet ribbon then. Just something that was on the mind anyway.

No.  Just because it is on the cadet side of the house; there are seniors that make the program run. Pt just the cadets themselves.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

ner' meet.
Ummmmm NO.....it is a SQUADRON of distinction and a SQUADRON of Merit.....i.e. the whole unit.  Yes it only looks at the Cadet Side of things.....but same story for the UC......If you get it for doing a great job on an ES mission......even those AE and CP guys who did not do any ES stuff get it.

I use the last few National Commander's Unit citations handed out recently.....Katrina, Fosset Search, New Horizons, etc.   I did nothing during the Fosset Search....but got an NCCUC for it it.

On a side note....I have seen units (mine) get turned down for a UC because "you just won SoD, you don't need another award".

So....I too wonder why there is not a ribbon for the SoD and SoM.

ol'fido

Not to add to our ribbon mess, but maybe we should mirror the USAF on this and have about degrees of unit citation. The current UC could be our organizational excellence ribbon, NCCUC could be our equal to the PUC, and add a couple more in between for wings and regions to award that would be the unit version of the Com Com and ESM(?).

CAPMajOhio

On the other hand, the members helped the Unit earn the award and should continue to receive recognition for their participation on excellent Team work.

Shawn W.

QuoteIncorrect.  If you received the award you do not remove the ribbon if you transfer to a different unit, echelon, or wing.

If you move to a different squadron, wing, etc... Why would a unit citation follow you if it was a citation for that particular unit?  Cite please...

Thanks

RogueLeader

Quote from: Shawn Warneke on July 16, 2012, 01:53:38 AM
QuoteIncorrect.  If you received the award you do not remove the ribbon if you transfer to a different unit, echelon, or wing.

If you move to a different squadron, wing, etc... Why would a unit citation follow you if it was a citation for that particular unit?  Cite please...

Thanks

Because a unit citation awards all people in that unit for that time. I earned it, I keep it. Cite otherwise please.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: Shawn Warneke on July 16, 2012, 01:53:38 AM

39-3 is the cite.  Unit citations are awarded to the individual members who were assigned to the respective unit as their primary assignment
during the period cited, not the "unit" per se.

Processed properly, the Form 120 will contain a list of specific names to whom the UC applies (to the exclusion of all others), either directly or as a PA.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on June 25, 2012, 04:17:05 AM

If you were in the unit when issued, it was permanent. That remains as part of the rules.

I wish the regs were clearer...so many interpretations...In my unit in WIWG, we had 3 UC awards. When I moved to ARWG, they had none. They won 3 while I was there, so I just kept the ribbon and 2 clasps. Should I have upped the ante and gotten a silver clasp denoting another 3 UCs? If half the camp here is correct, I should have a silver clasp. If the other half are correct I should stick with what I have...

*checks 39-2*

ah HA! Here's the bugger...

CAPR 39-2 Section A subsection 2, paragraph 12, subsection a(2):

blah blah blah "Unit commanders will post the members' records to show their eligibility to wear the ribbon. Once awarded, members may continue to wear the ribbon even if they transfer out of the unit at a later date."

So...If I can prove I was a member of my unit when they got the UC award in WI, then I get more thingies to put on my ribbon.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

LGM30GMCC

Sometimes the two camps are:

Those who are correct and those who are mistaken for one reason or another. 8)

As you dug out the cite, there is no matter of interpretation at all.

The CAP Unit Citation Award somewhat resembles the USAF Outstanding Unit Award. You were a member, you get the ribbon for all time.

I got one for my USAF unit because I processed in to the unit 6 July and the criteria was membership from sometime up until 30 July of that year. I did precisely squat other than in-process and house hunt. Silly though it may be, there's the AF Outstanding Unit ribbon in my records. It may not seem 'fair' or 'right' to some folks, but that doesn't change the simple reality.

2 of my CAP unit citations are for post 9-11 actions of NYWG (not the HQ, NYWG as a whole) and NER. I was a member, my unit did absolutely nothing other than exist. But that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Garibaldi

Honestly, I wasn't trying to be a d-bag. It just came out that way. I am very tired as I write this and that post as well, so things came out in a d-baggy fashion. Apologies to anyone who was offended or angered. I'm off to bed. I have a test for the TSA in the morning and I need to sleep for a change.

Eclipse

NHQ recently updated the language for the UC to insure the understanding was correct, so anything your units won earned more than a year or so ago could have fallen under the olde school of "we know the rules, but this way means we can pretend everyone gets a ribbon..."

I had a unit that awarded themselves UC's because the unit had, years previously, been awarded the SoM.  That was a fun conversation.

And yes, if you were a part of those units during the period cited on the UC and/or the 120's, you should be wearing all 5.  Your best bet would be to hit up those former units or wings for copies of the citations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shawn W.

Got it.. Thanks all for the clarification. :-D

Cheers,

S.W.

ColonelJack

Adding my $0.02 to the fire ...

When I first joined in 1981, the "understanding" was that if you were in the unit, you could wear whatever UCs the unit had earned.  That meant, according to the CC at the time, I could wear the UC with one silver and two bronze clasps.  I thought that looked kind of silly on a brand new SM (right next to the Membership ribbon), so I didn't wear the ribbon at all.  Somewhere along the way, the wing earned a UC, and I wore the plain green ribbon from that time on.

Now, having been a part of the wing when we earned a NCUC, I wear it - and still the plain green ribbon.

I think I did the right thing all along.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

On the topic of Unit Citations; has a Squadron or a Group received one? Usually it is the Wing or Wing HQ that is awarded the UC as far as I know.

What about the NCUC?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 17, 2012, 12:49:04 AM
On the topic of Unit Citations; has a Squadron or a Group received one? Usually it is the Wing or Wing HQ that is awarded the UC as far as I know.

What about the NCUC?

My current squadron has 3.

SarDragon

Were you a member of the unit when they were awarded?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Actually, exactly the opposite.  With the exception of a few high-visibility wings, the UC is generally awarded to the actual unit, not the unit and its downstream components.

The "001" unit might get a UC, but not the subordinates.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

CAWG (the entire wing) has been awarded two UCs since I transferred in.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 17, 2012, 01:18:30 AM

NYWG, FLWG, & CAWG, seem especially inclined towards this practice, although in their defense some tend to get a lot of
high-visibility, large scale missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on July 17, 2012, 01:02:04 AM
Were you a member of the unit when they were awarded?

Me? Yes. Not the NCUC, but the basic UC.

ol'fido

What about the NCUC?
I wear the UC with one clasp. My squadron won SoM in 80 and SoD in 82 while I was a cadet. The unit citation streamers somehow ended up on the Group guidon after the squadron folded in 89. How about that? i hadn't thought of it that way until just now. Top squadron in the country one year and kaput 7 years later.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 17, 2012, 01:24:57 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 17, 2012, 01:18:30 AM

NYWG, FLWG, & CAWG, seem especially inclined towards this practice, although in their defense some tend to get a lot of
high-visibility, large scale missions.

These were awarded by NHQ, not the wing. One was for Challenger, and I believe the other one was for Fossett.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LGM30GMCC

Pretty sure you mean Columbia. Challenger fell into the ocean.  ;)

NER and NYWG were for 9/11

SarDragon

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on July 18, 2012, 12:30:51 AM
Pretty sure you mean Columbia. Challenger fell into the ocean.  ;)

NER and NYWG were for 9/11

Well, they both start with 'C'.   ::)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 17, 2012, 12:56:18 AM

What about the NCUC?

And none of the cadets and only a few of the seniors where in the unit at the time the last one was earned never mind all 3 but I constantly see personnel from your unit sporting the ribbon.  I have personally talked to one of your seniors about this who was sporting 3 clasps on hers....

PLEASE help me fix this because it makes me twitch....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Private Investigator

What about the NCUC?

I was just wondering what a Squadron would do for a Unit Citation? Work the County Fair? SoD and SoM I guess   :)

Garibaldi

Quote from: cap235629 on July 18, 2012, 06:33:32 AM

What about the NCUC?

And none of the cadets and only a few of the seniors where in the unit at the time the last one was earned never mind all 3 but I constantly see personnel from your unit sporting the ribbon.  I have personally talked to one of your seniors about this who was sporting 3 clasps on hers....

PLEASE help me fix this because it makes me twitch....

Taken to PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 18, 2012, 08:39:07 AMI was just wondering what a Squadron would do for a Unit Citation? Work the County Fair? SoD and SoM I guess

Be the host for large activities with a scope outside the unit.

Be the lead / only unit involved in a large ES response.

Significantly increase membership / proficiency / qualifications.

Cumulative performance in all three missions above that of their peer units.

Frankly I think that SoM / SoD would be something to include in the narrative for a UC, but in and of themselves SoD / SoM are already awards,
so you're double awarding the membership if you give a UC to members who earned the SoM / SoD.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

But there is no ribbon to go along with SoM/SoD. Not that the UC is a good replacement, but now with ComComs and Achievement Ribbons, I suppose it is possible to reward the players who made it happen.

MIKE

Makes more sense to have unit award ribbons for SoM/SoD than to award individual decorations to an entire unit for SoM/SoD.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Frankly there are so many issues with how and why units receive the SoM / SoD, I wouldn't even know where to start with that.

It's both objective and subjective, is based on factors which may be largely out of a unit's hands, and tends to favor smaller units, especially
new ones.

Quote from: MIKE on July 18, 2012, 04:50:53 PM
Makes more sense to have unit award ribbons for SoM/SoD than to award individual decorations to an entire unit for SoM/SoD.

I agree, and since the SoM / SoD is entirely a cadet-focused award, those not involved in the "cadet-side" should not be decorated - that's
another kettle of fish.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 18, 2012, 04:38:39 PM
But there is no ribbon to go along with SoM/SoD. Not that the UC is a good replacement, but now with ComComs and Achievement Ribbons, I suppose it is possible to reward the players who made it happen.
I agree that the SoM/SoD either should have their own ribbons or automatically get UCs.
And yes if you are putting together a program that results in a SoM/SoD.....then you do need to be writting up and awarding CCComs and Acheivement Medals.

Eclipse

The ribbon on the flag >is< the reward.

In fact, since a UC is another streamer, that's more reason >not< to award one for the SoM / SoD. 

"Hey!  Why'd you get the red streamer?"

"Because we got the yellow one!"

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2012, 05:10:55 PM
The ribbon on the flag >is< the reward.

In fact, since a UC is another streamer, that's more reason >not< to award one for the SoM / SoD. 

"Hey!  Why'd you get the red streamer?"

"Because we got the yellow one!"

Which is why I said ComComs and Achievement Ribbons. Someone has to be the driving force (Say the deputy of cadets), and then support characters such as O-flight pilots, leadership officers, activity planners, etc. While some SoM/SoD are trivial, I bet there's typically at least one or two people who can be rewarded on the Senior side for a job well done.

Eclipse

Yes their reward is the streamer.

Being a part of a unit selected as SoM could certainly be one line in a larger 120, but not the whole thing, and not for the whole unit.

The SoM essentially says "You were the best of those who did actually did what you're supposed to, Thank You".

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on July 18, 2012, 04:32:59 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on July 18, 2012, 08:39:07 AMI was just wondering what a Squadron would do for a Unit Citation? Work the County Fair? SoD and SoM I guess

Be the host for large activities with a scope outside the unit.

Be the lead / only unit involved in a large ES response.

Significantly increase membership / proficiency / qualifications.

Cumulative performance in all three missions above that of their peer units.

Frankly I think that SoM / SoD would be something to include in the narrative for a UC, but in and of themselves SoD / SoM are already awards,
so you're double awarding the membership if you give a UC to members who earned the SoM / SoD.

I know Units put themselves in for Unit Citations for 9/11/2001 response, but did any Units get a UC for 9/11?

Garibaldi

Is there a database listing all the units who earned a UC over, say, the last 20 years or so? I've tried checking with my old Wing but no dice.

spacecommand

I doubt so.  Many UC's are approved at the Wing level and if the Wing has no record and the squadron has no record (good research job for the unit historian if there is one), then you'll need to seek other sources.

Browse through the unit files (if kept), look for certificates in the back closet.  Research local newspaper databases for any news articles that might of mentioned the unit etc.

Майор Хаткевич

You would think wing has to send something up for NHQ...

PWK-GT

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2012, 04:38:42 AM
You would think wing has to send something up for NHQ...

And you would be right.

Currently, the F120 for the UC is approved by the Wing, and then NHQ approves the F120 when it sends the 'kit' with certificate and streamer back to the Wing for presentation.
"Is it Friday yet"

ßτε

As I read CAPR 39-3, it looks like the UC must be approved at the national level, not just wing and region.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 22, 2012, 03:58:01 AM
Is there a database listing all the units who earned a UC over, say, the last 20 years or so? I've tried checking with my old Wing but no dice.

Occassionally I see where it lists XXWG (5th Award) ZZWG (3rd Award) in the CAP magazine but i never see Petticoat Junction Cadet Squadron, XX-123 (44th Award) listed. Or any Squadron or Group listed for that matter. It is always a Wing, Wing HQ or Region.

SARDOC

Quote from: ßτε on July 22, 2012, 11:46:08 AM
As I read CAPR 39-3, it looks like the UC must be approved at the national level, not just wing and region.

That's the way I read it too...but then doesn't it become the National Commander Unit Citation.  The Approving authority for the UC is not clearly defined in the Regs.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I think it should be redesigned along the lines of the AF OSU ribbon.

Right now it looks like a stick of Dentyne Spearmint Gum.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Quote from: SARDOC on December 06, 2012, 05:54:25 AM
Quote from: ßτε on July 22, 2012, 11:46:08 AM

That's the way I read it too...but then doesn't it become the National Commander Unit Citation.  The Approving authority for the UC is not clearly defined in the Regs.

The NCUC award is strictly top down. A regular UCC can be initiated at the Group, Wing, and Region level.

Squadrons do get them, but not very often.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Those saying the UC should be ditched upon transfer are wrong. The ribbon goes with the individuals who earned it. The Personnel Officer of the Unit should be preparing a Personnel Authorization  listing all members of the unit who were members during the cited period.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: CyBorg on December 06, 2012, 06:32:17 AM
I think it should be redesigned along the lines of the AF OSU ribbon.

Right now it looks like a stick of Dentyne Spearmint Gum.

What's even more confusing is that the Unit Citation award streamer is red, while the ribbon is green. (The 'Green Weenie'!) If I remember correctly the NCUC streamer is gold with blue lettering.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Drop the NCUC and use the ribbon for the merit and distinction awards (then they would have some meaning to the membership), and change the UC to RED.  Change IACE to solid the solid green, since that affects very few members, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Before the Great Ribbon Redesign of the late 1970's-early 1980's, the UC was green with 4(IIRC) white stripes and IACE was red with white propellers scattered on it. Therefore, the power-that-were made the UC green (I think to avoid confusion with a military ribbon) and IACE red.

Eclipse

Another reason we should just wear CAP decorations and move on.  The constant discussion / concern about being confused with
decs from other services shouldn't be the primary reasoning behind a given award. 

"That Others May Zoom"

LGM30GMCC

This is probably why the UC mini medal is green with two edging white stripes. And the IACE mini-medal retains its props.

Eclipse

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on December 07, 2012, 05:31:58 PM
This is probably why the UC mini medal is green with two edging white stripes. And the IACE mini-medal retains its props.

Never noticed that before (never paid attention, either)

The SAR Ribbon has extraneous white edging as well:

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2012, 03:06:11 PM
Another reason we should just wear CAP decorations and move on.  The constant discussion / concern about being confused with
decs from other services shouldn't be the primary reasoning behind a given award.

Or another reason to ask the wearer for clarification:
Member A: Hey, is that a [insert military dec here]
Member B: No, it's a [insert CAP dec here]
Member A: Cool.
Member B: Yupp.

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2012, 03:06:11 PM

The only folks that are going to recognize that some ribbons worn by CAP members are real military ribbons are those who were in the real military and by the time they're close enough to see a ribbon they'll have had ample opportunity to notice the other things that make our uniforms look different. 

[Although some civilians may recognize a few military awards -- Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, and CIB, but thats about it]

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on December 07, 2012, 02:17:30 PM
Before the Great Ribbon Redesign of the late 1970's-early 1980's, the UC was green with 4(IIRC) white stripes and IACE was red with white propellers scattered on it. Therefore, the power-that-were made the UC green (I think to avoid confusion with a military ribbon) and IACE red.

According to my multiple sources, the UC has had the same design since its inception in 1960 - a solid green ribbon. I still have my plastic one from my cadet days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Does National maintain a list of when Squadron's may have been issued Unit Citations?   I know my unit has been around since the 40's and has gotten multiple citations since then.  However, I'll be darned if I've ever seen a Streamer of anything along those lines.

MSG Mac

There have been several Wings and units that have asked for that information, but National does't have the list.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member