The King Is Dead, Long Live The King

Started by Eclipse, December 11, 2011, 11:27:26 PM

Eclipse

I wore my CSU for what will likely be the last time yesterday for a staff meeting and holiday party.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on December 11, 2011, 11:44:06 PM
Are you going to miss it?

Considering the initial expense, and the fact that a significant portion of our membership no longer have a uniform
that fulfills our mission (unless that mission is Olympic judge or real estate agent)...

Yes.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2011, 12:00:06 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on December 11, 2011, 11:44:06 PM
Are you going to miss it?

Considering the initial expense, and the fact that a significant portion of our membership no longer have a uniform
that fulfills our mission (unless that mission is Olympic judge or real estate agent)...

Yes.
Just take off the CAP buttons and you can use it to work as door man in Chicagoland :angel:  I guess that's what happens when anyone is an early adopter of ANY new CAP uniform :(   
RM

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2011, 11:27:26 PM
I wore my CSU for what will likely be the last time yesterday for a staff meeting and holiday party.
So you are in blues now?  ???

Congrats sir! :D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 12, 2011, 12:27:54 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2011, 11:27:26 PM
So you are in blues now?  ???

Congrats sir! :D

Funny.

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 12, 2011, 12:23:34 AM
I guess that's what happens when anyone is an early adopter of ANY new CAP uniform :(   

Early adopter?  The CSU was approved in 2006.

"That Others May Zoom"

RickFranz

I will get to wear mine one more time, then off come the ribbons and badges which will be placed in a display case since that will be the only place they will be able to be seen.  (I believe in the 2 badges are enough on the gray/white uniform.)
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Ned

Uniforms come, uniforms go.

If you look in the back of my closet, you might well find cotton fatigues, khaki shade 1505s, a cool 1549 shirt, light blue jumpsuits, light blue shirts without epaulets, old style service dress with exterior pockets, lightweight poplin jackets, and the odd Guyabarra shirt.

Every single one purchased at personal expense for CAP.

The single constant in CAP uniforms is change over time.  Every single one of our uniforms will become obsolete at some point and represent a loss to our members.  It is always sad to see a beloved uniform pass.

I sure miss that 1549 shirt. :(

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: Ned on December 12, 2011, 06:30:58 AM
I sure miss that 1549 shirt. :(

Amen. 1549 was the so-called "Combination 3", right?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I never had the chance to wear it, except for briefly with the blue epaulettes and nameplate.

I've still got a brushed-silver nameplate with "CIVIL AIR PATROL" on it that's never been out of its little plastic tube.

I suppose the upside, if there is one, is that the uniform was killed before I spent money on the service coat.

That uniform was handled badly from the getgo; from the way the Generalissimo introduced it, to the way it was killed after the Air Force had expressed changes they wanted to see made and CAP responded to them! >:(  I'm not sure which was handled the worst; the way it was introduced or the way it was killed, but nobody asked me, or any of the membership that I know of. :-X

I'm somewhere near the borderline of wearing the blues right now.  I've got a physical scheduled for after the first of the year.  I'll know then whether or not I can wear a uniform that has some colour to it or if I'll have to look like a photo negative.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

James Shaw

If we have anyone willing to donate one to the CAP National Collection, I am willing to take one.

PM for address.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

jimmydeanno

I kind of like uniform obsolescence.  It forces the replacement of otherwise unserviceable uniforms that people refuse to replace.  Like the see through BDUs, the blues shirts that have become white, etc.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Lord

Our Country has been divided between the "Blue" and the "Gray" before. It met with somewhat mixed results in 1861, but perhaps we can avoid bloodshed this time.....I find the irony intriguing....or maybe I am just feeling Blue......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 12, 2011, 03:10:40 PM
I kind of like uniform obsolescence.  It forces the replacement of otherwise unserviceable uniforms that people refuse to replace.  Like the see through BDUs, the blues shirts that have become white, etc.

No problem when there is an alternative.

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

I had no problem parting with mine.....a natural disater destroyed it.  It was a very sharp jacket I do say.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2011, 03:21:37 PM
No problem when there is an alternative.

The grey-only zealots would try and tell us there is an alternative...the bloody awful IMO blazer combo...but they would be incorrect.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

DakRadz

Quote from: Major Lord on December 12, 2011, 03:12:14 PM
Our Country has been divided between the "Blue" and the "Gray" before. It met with somewhat mixed results in 1861, but perhaps we can avoid bloodshed this time.....I find the irony intriguing....or maybe I am just feeling Blue......

Major Lord

Blue truly won, while Gray stayed in nay-saying denial convinced of impending doom for years afterward.

Yep, sounds familiar to me!

(This is the part where, at bivouac, the cadet officers would raise their hands to indicate a "joke" on the part of the ES class teacher)

Major Lord

Quote from: DakRadz on December 12, 2011, 04:12:25 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on December 12, 2011, 03:12:14 PM

Major Lord

Blue truly won, while Gray stayed in nay-saying denial convinced of impending doom for years afterward.

Yep, sounds familiar to me!

(This is the part where, at bivouac, the cadet officers would raise their hands to indicate a "joke" on the part of the ES class teacher)

Its just a metaphor, who would really believe that an organization based in Alabama would advocate slavery? Oooooooh....never mind....... The larger irony in my mind is the very fact of CAP identifying itself as being "Gray", that is to say, being neither black or white, good or evil, good or bad, clear or obfuscated; Or possibly just dominated by the elderly. For a metaphor, I find blue to be a better symbol: True Blue. Air Force Blue. Wild Blue Yonder.  Blue in fact, is a color, Gray is not.

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Major Lord on December 12, 2011, 05:33:38 PM
Blue in fact, is a color, Gray is not.
Major Lord

:clap: :clap: :clap: 8) 8) 8) :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :) :)

Which is what I've been getting at all along!!!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011