Photos of Loring AFB

Started by Nikos, May 31, 2015, 12:07:17 AM

Nikos

Photo of the old Loring AFB.

winterg

I did both of my Class A Encampments in the late 80's at Loring.  Fond memories.

Nikos

PHall

Ah yes, Loring AFB. As close as the Air Force ever came to a gulag. >:D

MSG Mac

Protecting the US from the Canada
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 07, 2015, 01:14:14 AM
Protecting the US from the Canada

Have you seen a Canadian? That blazing white skin will blind you...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: PHall on June 07, 2015, 12:13:42 AM

That was Minot, Phil.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on June 07, 2015, 01:57:19 AM

Quote from: PHall on June 07, 2015, 12:13:42 AM

That was Minot, Phil.

Who said there was only one? ;)

SarDragon

Minot is a lot closer to real civilization then Loring.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nikos

Another photo I took at Loring.  Don't know what this building was used for.  There is some writing above the number 40.

Luis R. Ramos

Zoomed in the number 40. Was able to read some letters, others I was not able to do so.

At the top, either W P A ? ? ? or W F A ? ? ? Below this, Load Trai ? ? ? ? Makes me think it involves some sort of training related to loading airplanes...

Maybe someone else with actual Air Force experience, or better yet SAC experience can connect those letters with their service.

Found a website dedicated to Loring.

http://www.loringairforcebase.com/index.html

Part of that website were photos and documents from a project at the Library of Congress...

http://www.loringairforcebase.com/loc/
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Nikos on June 07, 2015, 08:28:57 PM
Another photo I took at Loring.  Don't know what this building was used for.  There is some writing above the number 40.

Here is the best I was able to darken it considering I am not working with a RAW file but a JPEG.  Attached as a PDF.

Luis R. Ramos

Oh, still not very clear, but much better now! I think I can read the following...

At the top, Weapons, next line is Load Training!

I guess the building was used so the loadmasters of the airplanes would learn and practice loading different combinations of bombloads. And/or other weapons carried by those bombers...

There are people with more experience in SAC and USAF. Maybe they can talk now about their duties on arming airplanes?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 07, 2015, 09:40:33 PM
Oh, still not very clear, but much better now! I think I can read the following...

At the top, Weapons, next line is Load Training!

I guess the building was used so the loadmasters of the airplanes would learn and practice loading different combinations of bombloads. And/or other weapons carried by those bombers...

There are people with more experience in SAC and USAF. Maybe they can talk now about their duties on arming airplanes?

First, Bombers  do not have Loadmasters.

Weapons are loaded and unloaded by load crews from the Munitions Maintenance Squadron.
The Radar Navigator (B-52)/Offensive Systems Operator (B-1) are the folks who target and release the weapons from the aircraft.

The Weapons Load Trainer was used to train and certify Weapons Load Crews.

Nikos

This is a photo of what I think is an aircraft hanger. 

Nikos

This is a photo of the old Columbia Falls Air Force Station, in Columbia Falls Maine.  What looks like a fence is part of the Radar receiver.  There are 3 of these buildings all in the same general location.  The towers point towards Bangor.