Aircrew Basic Wings on Shirt - Scanner

Started by zippy, July 19, 2019, 06:10:43 AM

NovemberWhiskey

If we are to be persnickety about the details; we should have them right... "pilot" is in fact a category of certificates covering e.g. private pilot. Upon that private pilot certificate, the ratings are placed - to include category (e.g. airplane) and class (e.g. single-engine land), as well as those related to instrument operation of the same (e.g. instrument - airplane).

I don't think anyone is suggesting that CAP issues pilot certificates or ratings; rather simply that being certificated as a private pilot with rating for aircraft / single-engine land doesn't immediately imply any CAP-specific qualification; but is just one of the pre-requisites towards achieving CAP qualifications with names like "CAP Pilot", ref. CAPR 70-1.

Possibly I'm just not understanding your point, however.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 26, 2019, 10:17:02 PM
If we are to be persnickety about the details; we should have them right... "pilot" is in fact a category of certificates covering e.g. private pilot. Upon that private pilot certificate, the ratings are placed - to include category (e.g. airplane) and class (e.g. single-engine land), as well as those related to instrument operation of the same (e.g. instrument - airplane).

I don't think anyone is suggesting that CAP issues pilot certificates or ratings; rather simply that being certificated as a private pilot with rating for aircraft / single-engine land doesn't immediately imply any CAP-specific qualification; but is just one of the pre-requisites towards achieving CAP qualifications with names like "CAP Pilot", ref. CAPR 70-1.

Possibly I'm just not understanding your point, however.

Holders of the aeronautical rating of Pilot are not limited to Private Pilots. Commercial and ATP certificate holders can also hold that rating. Also, holders of the Pilot rating are not limited to VFR only.

The name of the rating is Pilot. Whatever other titles anyone wants to append for other Pilot purposes (VFR Pilot, Mission Pilot, Cadet Orientation Pilot, etc. does not change the rating and is separate snd spart from the aeronautical rating.

In short, when talking about ratings, as was the case higher up in the thread (Master Observer and VFR Pilot) the latter was incorrect. They would be a Master Observer and a Pilot.

That's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NovemberWhiskey

I see now: when you were referring to "aeronautical rating", you're talking about things listed in CAPR 35-6, which does indeed list six such ratings for pilots of various kinds and tenures; rather than the qualifications in CAPR 70-1 which are the basis for those ratings or the Part 61 ratings.

The pilot qualifications are indeed orthogonal to ES specialty qualifications, but they are still managed in Ops Quals (c.f. also the title CAPR 35-6: "Operations Ratings, Awards and Badges", emphasis mine).

What is tagged as "VFR Pilot" in Ops Quals is exactly the "CAP Pilot" qualification from CAPR 70-1, which results in (at least) the "CAP Pilot Rating" from CAPR 35-6. I suppose it is tagged that way for the purposes of disambiguation.

I would argue that from most practical perspectives, the "aeronautical rating" is much less relevant than the actual qualification.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on August 26, 2019, 10:57:53 PM
I see now: when you were referring to "aeronautical rating", you're talking about things listed in CAPR 35-6, which does indeed list six such ratings for pilots of various kinds and tenures; rather than the qualifications in CAPR 70-1 which are the basis for those ratings or the Part 61 ratings.

The pilot qualifications are indeed orthogonal to ES specialty qualifications, but they are still managed in Ops Quals (c.f. also the title CAPR 35-6: "Operations Ratings, Awards and Badges", emphasis mine).

What is tagged as "VFR Pilot" in Ops Quals is exactly the "CAP Pilot" qualification from CAPR 70-1, which results in (at least) the "CAP Pilot Rating" from CAPR 35-6. I suppose it is tagged that way for the purposes of disambiguation.

I would argue that from most practical perspectives, the "aeronautical rating" is much less relevant than the actual qualification.

Call ops pilots anything you want. "Flight Admiral of the Skies Above," for all I care. But that will not be their aeronautical rating. And, the badge for holding the aeronautical rating is and always has been "Pilot," not "VFR Pilot."That's all I'm saying and I have said it, so I'm moving on for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

After rereading this a number of times, I see this conclusion:

1. The wings represent CAP ratings - Pilot, passed a Form 5; Senior Pilot, a Pilot with 1000 hours and 3 years; Command Pilot, Pilot with 2000 hours and 5 years.

2. VFR Pilot, Instrument Pilot, Commercial Pilot, etc. represent skill levels, some being FAA ratings, and others being subsets within CAP to designate who can fly what and when (VFR, HP, Mountain, etc.).

I think we're done here. Got additions, PM me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret