Main Menu

Service Coats

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, September 14, 2018, 04:59:21 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

Does anyone have any service coats they are willing to sell? Please provide the size of the service coat and selling price
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Wildbilly1760

Coleman's Surplus has new.  Size small only. 36r.   On sale now for $3.00 each  Reasonable shipping prices.

Adam B

What?
New service coats for $3?

Is there a link? I checked their website and I didn't see any thing like that.
Adam

Color Guard Rifleman

Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Adam B

Adam

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Adam B on March 07, 2019, 12:30:29 AM
Not exactly "new."

"NOS." (New, old stock). They are the old 10 button coats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 07, 2019, 12:50:00 AM
Not exactly "new."

Have fun finding matching trousers.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: PHall on March 07, 2019, 04:41:43 AM
Not exactly "new."

The Smithsonian Museum might have some pants that match the coat.  ;)
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Not exactly "new."

I have no idea why members push this like it matters.

Cadets have been wearing mis-matched trousers forever and no one notices.
Why rain on the parade here?

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on March 07, 2019, 04:01:36 PM
Not exactly "new."

I have no idea why members push this like it matters.

Cadets have been wearing mismatched trousers forever and no one notices.
Why rain on the parade here?

Even though people do it, doesn't mean it's correct
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on March 07, 2019, 04:10:20 PM
Even though people do it, doesn't mean it's right

I would say "doesn't make it correct" is more appropriate.

It is, in fact "right" from the perspective of the cadets' experience to let them wear what they have.

This is another of the 38.726583 where 39-1 is inconsistent or ignores reality, and
cadets should not be penalized for that.

Especially in a universe where things like "weight & grooming" are routinely ignored by the adults.

Give it the mom test.

Would the "comedy" of a senior member pressure-testing his service coat while chastising a cadet for mismatched material
be shared or lost on her?

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 07, 2019, 04:26:01 PM
Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on March 07, 2019, 04:10:20 PM
Even though people do it, doesn't mean it's right

I would say "doesn't make it correct" is more appropriate.

It is, in fact "right" from the perspective of the cadets' experience to let them wear what they have.

This is another of the 38.726583 where 39-1 is inconsistent or ignores reality, and
cadets should not be penalized for that.

Especially in a universe where things like "weight & grooming" are routinely ignored by the adults.

Give it the mom test.

Would the "comedy" of a senior member pressure-testing his service coat while chastising a cadet for mismatched material
be shared or lost on her?

People who ignore little rules tend to ignore big rules too. Maybe there needs to be a push for more funding for proper uniforms, and a greater enforcement of rules
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Quote from: JayT on March 07, 2019, 04:59:12 PM
People who ignore little rules tend to ignore big rules too.

I agree with that on the mean, but in this case tie goes to the runner, since the runner
is likely 14 and just trying to look his best for CAP within the constraints of reality, and the
issue is all but invisible absent a Klieg light. (and also ignored by the adults who routinely
wear mis-matched service dress, unaware there is even an issue).

Also recognizing that CAP's official uniform supplier is selling knock-off field uniforms that are more pink
then green.

Maybe there needs to be a push for more funding for proper uniforms, and a greater enforcement of rules

There certainly is.

"That Others May Zoom"

Adam B

Maybe there needs to be a push for more funding for proper uniforms, and a greater enforcement of rules

Fixed that for you.

Total cost of outfitting a cadet in minimum Blues and ABUs is about $375 on Vanguard, and that's assuming they live in a warm region where outwear isn't needed. CAP covers less than a third of that with the Curry voucher. We'd certainly have fewer mis-matched cadets if they could afford to buy everything at once... And yes, a field uniform isn't "required," but completing encampment in only Blues can't be any fun... 
Speaking of encampment... we teach cadets the importance of wearing their uniform properly... and then send them to encampment or another activity, where some c/"Command Chief" is in ABUs, wearing his grade insignia pinned to the front of a red baseball cap. Literally violation on violation, but it's okay, it's just for training. How else will basics know how important he is?

Large scale training events are the perfect opportunity to enforce an actual standard across a broad range of members, including seniors, but instead it's treated like an excuse to see what we can get away with.
I can enforce the rules within my squadron, but it's frustrating when a cadet come's back from a large activity and we have to explain that: no, you can't wear ranger tabs on your ABUs; if you want a service cap, get your Mitchell; if you want grade insignia on your hat, get your Mitchell; the term of address is Chief, not First Sergeant; filling an officer's role doesn't entitle you to salute because you're still an NCO; etc, etc, etc.

<\rant>
Adam

Eclipse

Quote from: Adam B on March 09, 2019, 04:12:36 PM

Fixed that for you.

Total cost of outfitting a cadet in minimum Blues and ABUs is about $375 on Vanguard, and that's assuming they live in a warm region where outwear isn't needed. CAP covers less than a third of that with the Curry voucher. We'd certainly have fewer mis-matched cadets if they could afford to buy everything at once... And yes, a field uniform isn't "required," but completing encampment in only Blues can't be any fun... 
Speaking of encampment... we teach cadets the importance of wearing their uniform properly... and then send them to encampment or another activity, where some c/"Command Chief" is in ABUs, wearing his grade insignia pinned to the front of a red baseball cap. Literally violation on violation, but it's okay, it's just for training. How else will basics know how important he is?

Large scale training events are the perfect opportunity to enforce an actual standard across a broad range of members, including seniors, but instead it's treated like an excuse to see what we can get away with.
I can enforce the rules within my squadron, but it's frustrating when a cadet come's back from a large activity and we have to explain that: no, you can't wear ranger tabs on your ABUs; if you want a service cap, get your Mitchell; if you want grade insignia on your hat, get your Mitchell; the term of address is Chief, not First Sergeant; filling an officer's role doesn't entitle you to salute because you're still an NCO; etc, etc, etc.

<\rant>

FWIW, that kind of stuff is not OK, people are called out on it when they see it, and
in some cases change is implemented, there are, however, people entrenched in CAP
who "will do what they will do" despite being told multiple times.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on March 09, 2019, 04:44:29 PM
Quote from: Adam B on March 09, 2019, 04:12:36 PM

Fixed that for you.

<\rant>

FWIW, that kind of stuff is not OK, people are called out on it when they see it, and
in some cases change is implemented, there are, however, people entrenched in CAP
who "will do what they will do" despite being told multiple times.

"Those who know better, know better."

TX CAP Mom

Quote from: BradWood on March 06, 2019, 01:56:16 AM
Coleman's Surplus has new.  Size small only. 36r.   On sale now for $3.00 each  Reasonable shipping prices.

Where did you see that size? I guess I should take a shot that it's the small. I actually need a 36xs for my cadet and bought one off eBay. The color was off and when I took the stripes off the sleeves it was damaged. It basically fell apart when I tried to clean it. So so hard to find the smaller sizes for kids! I'm willing even to pay for a brand new coat but his color guard commander wants them all to have the matching old style.

Eclipse

That's the problem with the old jackets, many have stripes which makes them generally unusable for cadets,
and they are probably 40+ years old.

You can be on a color guard w/o the service coat or bus driver hat.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on March 16, 2019, 06:15:05 PM
You can be on a color guard w/o the service coat or bus driver hat.

You also don't need to be in Blues to conduct a Color Guard detail.