Non Corporate Incentive Rides

Started by Stearmann4, June 03, 2011, 01:56:44 PM

Stearmann4

Guys,

What is the policy for CAP cadets flying in personally (non corporate) aircraft for incentive purposes? I'm not looking for reimbursement, but frequently at the end of a busy show where the local CAP squadron has provided great support, I'll offer to the commander to load the Huey up for a couple of patterns, or if at home at least offer to take a couple cadets up in the Cub or some other warbird.

I don't want to deny the kids the opportunity of flying in some neat aircraft, but at the same time contradict corporate, squadron, or wing policy.

Mike-
Active Duty Army Aviator
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM)
www.Silverwingsflying.com

Bayareaflyer 44

Don't make it a CAP event (i.e. no uniforms).  Then, it's just you flying a bunch of teens around.  Just make sure it's cool with the parents.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

lordmonar

If it is self funded....then no problem.  Don't make it a NON-CAP event as that takes all the CAP liability insurance away.

Check with you wing DO and or CC on how to make it happen.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 03, 2011, 02:40:35 PM
If it is self funded....then no problem.  Don't make it a NON-CAP event as that takes all the CAP liability insurance away.

Check with you wing DO and or CC on how to make it happen.

That's the key, you can't do it impromptu, especially as a group.  Get permission or you may ruffle feathers unnecessarily.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bayareaflyer 44

The issue of making it a self-funded, CAP event is that the CAPR 60-1 is very specific on how member-furnished aircraft are used.  The member has to execute a hold-harmless that is recognized by the state director.  Then, you have to ask and get permission, and it will go pretty far up the chain to get approval - for each event the member intends to use the aircraft for. 
So, if you are prepared to wait and can accept the run-around, then sure - give it a whirl.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

lordmonar

I don't know why you think he would automatically get the run around.

Do the paperwork, get the mission number, do the flights.

The need to get permission to use member owned aircraft has always been we were not using our corporate aircraft enough.

In this case we are talking about a Helocopter.....so no issue there.  If there are no CAP or USAF funds being used.....no issue there.

It should be a pretty simple thing really.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Stearmann4

Here's the scenario, I fly a restored UH-1 and a AT-6 for a museum which hosts an annual airshow that the local CAP squadron assists with. On the last day of the show, the owner of the museum allows me to take some riders while using up the remainder of the sponsored fuel. This usually occurs late Sunday which means all the cadets are still in uniform, and technically on duty. I'm not officially associated with CAP during the show.

I did have a squadron CO tell me i couldn't take the kids flying, which is understandable from a liability perspective. I would just rather spend the gas on cadets who worked in the sun all weekend rather than media folks or joy riders.

Mike-
Active Duty Army Aviator
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM)
www.Silverwingsflying.com

a2capt

...and the most recent thing that I received from CAWG, that sure looked like it came from NHQ, basically nullified O-Flights in anything but a corporate aircraft. Maybe a CA thing only, or may be the same way now anywhere else.

Plus rotary wing is near verboten with 60-1 anyway. But what the hey...

Now, the other thing, it's easier to just take them all flying as Young Eagles, at least the kids. EAA depends on civilian provided aircraft, just do it on a different day, or "after" the activity ends and is "closed". Have it specified as an EAA activity instead, for the flight portion and of course, fulfill all the prerequisites for EAA Young Eagles flight.

FW

Quote from: Stearmann4 on June 04, 2011, 12:46:15 AM
Here's the scenario, I fly a restored UH-1 and a AT-6 for a museum which hosts an annual airshow that the local CAP squadron assists with. On the last day of the show, the owner of the museum allows me to take some riders while using up the remainder of the sponsored fuel. This usually occurs late Sunday which means all the cadets are still in uniform, and technically on duty. I'm not officially associated with CAP during the show.

I did have a squadron CO tell me i couldn't take the kids flying, which is understandable from a liability perspective. I would just rather spend the gas on cadets who worked in the sun all weekend rather than media folks or joy riders.

Mike-

Mike, let's keep this simple. Since these aircraft are part of the show exhibits, your flying cadets as a reward for hard work is just fine; if the museum allows it and, there is parental consent.  This would be a CAP event and needs to be coordinated with the Squadron Commander.  CAPR 60-1 does not apply here as, these are not Cadet O'flights; just rides.  This is like cadets flying in the CAF B-17 or B-24.  (You and the museum would be assuming liability; BTW.) 

The focus should be on parental consent and coordination with the squadron in advance.  I think it is great you (and the museum) would be willing to do this.  If you wish to make sure everything is OK, have your wing/cc call the CAP/EX.