Part 107 flight rule waivers

Started by CFToaster, June 30, 2019, 03:48:42 PM

CFToaster

As a non-pilot getting into the sUAS world (I just plunked down for the Kings course today), there's something I'm not clear on. Are waivers (flying over people, etc.) issued on a per-mission/per-flight-plan basis, or are they permanent, like an air brake endorsement on a CDL?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: CFToaster on June 30, 2019, 03:48:42 PM
As a non-pilot getting into the sUAS world (I just plunked down for the Kings course today), there's something I'm not clear on. Are waivers (flying over people, etc.) issued on a per-mission/per-flight-plan basis, or are they permanent, like an air brake endorsement on a CDL?

Neither. Waivers come with an expiration date. I see some with 2 years , some with 4.  It varies.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Important to note that for CAP Missions, sUAS MPs do NOT request waivers from the FAA. All waivers are to go through Hdqs as SGI requests. (Special Government Issuance). Whereas a pilot requesting a waiver can take weeks or months, Hdqs can get these approved in minutes for emergency situations. See the webinar linked in another thread for more details.

CFToaster

Quote from: etodd on June 30, 2019, 04:32:10 PM
Important to note that for CAP Missions, sUAS MPs do NOT request waivers from the FAA. All waivers are to go through Hdqs as SGI requests. (Special Government Issuance). Whereas a pilot requesting a waiver can take weeks or months, Hdqs can get these approved in minutes for emergency situations. See the webinar linked in another thread for more details.

I did catch that in the webinar, thanks!

Looking through some of the waivers that have actually been accepted, it looks like it is more of the endorsement model, with the difference that waivers always expire. Waivers are tied to a given "responsible party," and are generic in application, "You can fly over crowds as long as you meet x, y and z preconditions" not "You can fly over the crowd at the Electric Daisy Carnival at x location on y date."

etodd

......  (I just plunked down for the Kings course today) .....

Did you ask for the Civil Air Patrol discount?

CFToaster

Quote from: etodd on July 01, 2019, 12:42:36 AM

......  (I just plunked down for the Kings course today) .....

Did you ask for the Civil Air Patrol discount?

I was not aware that was a thing. I will see if I can get it ex post facto. Thanks for the tip!