New Pamphlet 1-2, Replaces CAPR 10-1

Started by RogueLeader, October 11, 2016, 10:52:49 PM

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jeders

Just like the new drill manual, more wasted effort. If you're going to rip off The Tongue and Quill, just tell everyone to use The Tongue and Quill.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RogueLeader

Quote from: jeders on October 12, 2016, 04:26:08 PM
Just like the new drill manual, more wasted effort. If you're going to rip off The Tongue and Quill, just tell everyone to use The Tongue and Quill.

That's what we have done for as long as I've been in, and while I don't really care for the style or tone, there is some updated information related to the "modern" technology/society to help impress the need for the use of the publication.

The downside is that they would first need to look in the pamphlet to see how much they need to use it.  <sigh>
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hyperion

An unfortunate bump, but I just noticed that 10-1 was replaced:

The new pamphlet does not specify if the default business card template is required or merely suggested. After creating a new professional business card that represents my unit, I was informed by my next level of command that my cards may not be appropriate as they're no longer the default; however, my command was unable to verify their claim when I inquired and they no longer know. Can anyone help me find a clear-cut answer here? Thank you much very.

- Hyperion
To serve in silence.

Pylon

Quote from: Hyperion on November 23, 2016, 01:23:48 PM
An unfortunate bump, but I just noticed that 10-1 was replaced:

The new pamphlet does not specify if the default business card template is required or merely suggested. After creating a new professional business card that represents my unit, I was informed by my next level of command that my cards may not be appropriate as they're no longer the default; however, my command was unable to verify their claim when I inquired and they no longer know. Can anyone help me find a clear-cut answer here? Thank you much very.

- Hyperion

Pamphlets are generally understood to be guidance and not regulatory. But even that being said, the pamphlet merely says that templates are available. There is no language used whatsoever to imply that their designs must/shall/will be used by members. P1-2 says, in part (with my emphasis added), "Business card templates are available for download from CAP's Public Affairs branding resource guide web page."  Being available for you to use and being mandatory are far different things.

Furthermore, you go to the referenced web page and all it says remotely about this topic is (with my emphasis added), "Below are three variations of the CAP business card presently being used by many of the CAP leadership."  So not all of the CAP leadership is even using these templates and certainly that language doesn't sound obligatory upon members in any sense.

But thankfully those templates are not mandatory, because, like most things that are designed by NHQ, they are heinous.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hyperion

Thank you, Pylon.

I am happy to know that I am not required to use those templates, because just like you said:

Quote from: Pylon on November 23, 2016, 01:38:16 PM
... they are heinous.

(It's nice to create a business card that matches the units' design, colors, logos, and mission.)

- Hyperion
To serve in silence.

arajca

As one who pushed National to create a standard business card design, I'm glad they did so. How many different business cards have you seen CAP members hand out, even from the same unit? I can get 10 cards from 10 members and none will look alike. Go to almost any professional organization and get business cards from 10 members. The only difference will be the personal details (name, phone, email, etc). The design will be identical.

I also recommended National work with a printing company (Kinko's, OfficeMax, Vista Print, etc) to provide them with an easy to get business card template.

I will suggest, if you have issues with the design, contact the folks at National with your concerns.

Continuing to use the plethora of different business cards make it appear as if there are a plethora of Civil Air Patrols.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hyperion on November 23, 2016, 01:56:49 PM
(It's nice to create a business card that matches the units' design, colors, logos, and mission.)

Why would your a unit's "design, colors, logos, and mission" be different from NHQ's?

I looked at the designs, thought "meh, they are business cards, I'm going to use 4 a year, why ice skate uphill?"
and moved on.

This is 2016, it's not like it's going to go in a Roledex on Doris' desk and represent the unit for 10 years.
The info is copied into a phone somewhere and discarded, sometimes before the person is home.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

The only reason that business cards of private businesses are the same except personal details is, wait for it, because the company pays for it! When NHQ pays for all our business cards, then should we expect uniformity. But when I have to pay for my business cards, I will deal with what is cheaper.

You cannot compare private businesses to volunteer organizations, nor should you expect the same results.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 23, 2016, 05:20:59 PMBut when I have to pay for my business cards, I will deal with what is cheaper.

Fair enough.  Why would the cost be different based on the design or who is paying for it?

Every unit has at least one color inkjet printer, if not several.  A pack of Avery clean-break business cards is ~$10 for 200.

At the rate a typical staffer or CC uses them, that's going to be several years worth of cards, and they can be printed in small
batches as needed.  I do about 10 at a time - can't remember the last time I gave one out.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

That is another thing.

I tried printing cards sometime ago using those Avery clean-break cards, it was yelling at me "El Cheapo" card. You still had the edges coarsely separated. It would not have impressed anyone.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 23, 2016, 05:28:54 PMIt would not have impressed anyone.

As to the cards themselves - never had the issue.  BITD the perforated ones tended to look fuzzy, but the clean-breaks
are just that - "clean break"?

I suppose you could be this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

"Welcome to all things business cards, where if you don't have a card like mine, IT'S CRAP!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2016, 05:25:22 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on November 23, 2016, 05:20:59 PMBut when I have to pay for my business cards, I will deal with what is cheaper.

Fair enough.  Why would the cost be different based on the design or who is paying for it?

Every unit has at least one color inkjet printer, if not several.  A pack of Avery clean-break business cards is ~$10 for 200.

At the rate a typical staffer or CC uses them, that's going to be several years worth of cards, and they can be printed in small
batches as needed.  I do about 10 at a time - can't remember the last time I gave one out.

Uh no. Not every unit has a printer. Some barely have meeting places.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

Quote from: stillamarine on November 23, 2016, 08:00:35 PM

Every squadron in CAP is supposed to be issued at least one notebook PC and one printer. 

Any unit that doesn't have one refused the issue for "reasons".

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2016, 08:25:15 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on November 23, 2016, 08:00:35 PM

Every squadron in CAP is supposed to be issued at least one notebook PC and one printer. 

Any unit that doesn't have one refused the issue for "reasons".

Interesting. I'll have to follow up on that. Is there a cite somewhere? We just got radios and a ELPR.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

Quote from: stillamarine on November 23, 2016, 08:43:15 PM
Interesting. I'll have to follow up on that. Is there a cite somewhere? We just got radios and a ELPR.

Nothing I can point to other then the information in the Vector or similar pubs about the annual purchases.
(There wasn't one in FY2016 but there was the year before).

My until has 4 issued and 3 printers. Many (most?) wings are swimming in equipment and looking for a place to issue
it.  One of ours is an old XP machine that I installed Ubuntu on to give it a little more life.

To my understanding the TOA supposed to call out at least one notebook and one all-in-one printer for every charter.
If you don't have any, someone else got yours.  This goes back to the early 2000's.

Slide 5 here: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/IT03Commanders_Corner_57A67F4E58B6F.pdf
Mentions that each unit is supposed to have a notebook and a printer.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

CAP has not purchased/distributed printers en masse to unit in several years. Many of the ones that were distributed are wearing/worn out and merely take up space. The retirement process for these is a pain.
Once the provided printer/all-in-one craps out, National is not replacing it.

Eclipse

We "discovered" last night that thanks to the re-work of the document numbers and the inexplicable insistence that pamphlets
are non-directive, even when referred to by a reg, the "required" email signatures...

...aren't.

Follow the lines.

CAPR 10-1, Aug 2015, carried the verbiage regarding the requirement that all members follow the
email signature prescription in attachment 5.  It can still be found here: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R010_001_A8B5F10FA5AC7.pdf

10-1 was rescinded in November 2016 in favor of CAPP 1-2.

CAPP 1-2, Nov 2016: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPP_12_7_Nov_16_90473D63CC1FC.pdf
The relevent new verbiage is on page(s) 42-44, and uses the word "preferred" in regards to email signatures pointing to the
graphic one with a lot of "mays" and "shoulds".

Per CAPR 1-2, Nov 2016, page 5, pamphlets are "non-directive by definition".
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPR_12_7_Nov_2016_21418BE1E4A98.pdf

Ergo...

"That Others May Zoom"