Promoted ?

Started by Daniel, August 11, 2009, 10:14:54 PM

lordmonar

Type in "how long between cadet promotions" into knowledge base and it is answer 315 IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Besides the fact that I have inputted a promotion into the system 56 days after the last one and it accepted it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

majdomke

Yes, it will allow you because you are using the admin feature. By way of regulations, incorrect answers in the CAP Knowledgebase withstanding, promotions are no sooner than 2 months. You can either follow what the regulations say or go it your own way. Don't say you weren't warned or that people on this board won't seek an investigation. I've sent off an email to NHQ asking them to correct their answers since they are leading people astray.

davidsinn

Quote from: Lt Domke on August 13, 2009, 12:17:42 AM
Yes, it will allow you because you are using the admin feature. By way of regulations, incorrect answers in the CAP Knowledgebase withstanding, promotions are no sooner than 2 months. You can either follow what the regulations say or go it your own way. Don't say you weren't warned or that people on this board won't seek an investigation. I've sent off an email to NHQ asking them to correct their answers since they are leading people astray.

I've been using the data entry feature for the past year. We only used admin to get it caught up when it first came online. Two months is a vague term and can be as short as 56 days or as long as 63 depending on which months and what days it falls on. Regardless of how you interpret a poorly written reg the fact is the system is designed to work on eight week intervals.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

I see some references to two months being as long as 63 days. Someone help me with the math here. I can only get a max of 62 days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Promoted July 1,  31 days in July, 31 days in Aug, Promoted again on Sep 1 = 63 days. I prefer the 8 week definition for promotions better.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Ah, common error. You shouldn't count the first promotion day itself.. One day elapsed from 1 July takes us to 2 July. And so on. Subtract 1 July from 1 Sep in an Excel spreadsheet, as dates, and see what you get - 62.

But I do agree with 8 weeks as being the best way to go on this.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: Lt Domke on August 13, 2009, 12:17:42 AM

Warned?  By who.....if national says it is okay to promote every 8 weeks....who is going to get mad at me?  Go ahead and start and IG investigation.  As for sending a letter off to national....I can see the answer now......KB is considered gospel by National 90% of the time.

IceNine

READ WHAT THE REG SAYS.  Don't remove the parts that make your argument correct.

2 Months (Approx 8 Weeks)

There is no defined number of days anywhere in the reg.  Period.

It says 2 months which can equal as much as 62 days.

OR approx 8 weeks which is 56 days.

Therefore a cadet promotion that happens beyond the 56 day range is legal by the letter of the reg.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Daniel

Quote from: IceNine on August 13, 2009, 09:17:11 AM
READ WHAT THE REG SAYS.  Don't remove the parts that make your argument correct.

2 Months (Approx 8 Weeks)

There is no defined number of days anywhere in the reg.  Period.

It says 2 months which can equal as much as 62 days.

OR approx 8 weeks which is 56 days.

Therefore a cadet promotion that happens beyond the 56 day range is legal by the letter of the reg.

My brothers and sisters, let us turn to the gospel of CAPF 52-1.

Which states two terms for promotion on it

1.    Each achievement will be completed in numerical sequence and then dated and signed by the unit commander or deputy commander of cadets. the cadet also signs on the appropriate line

2.     Except for achievement one, achievements may not be completed at less then a 60 day interval. phase 1 may not be completed less then 6 months from the date the cadet joined CAP
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

NC Hokie

Quote from: Daniel L on August 13, 2009, 10:38:54 AM
My brothers and sisters, let us turn to the gospel of CAPF 52-1.

Which states two terms for promotion on it

1.    Each achievement will be completed in numerical sequence and then dated and signed by the unit commander or deputy commander of cadets. the cadet also signs on the appropriate line

2.     Except for achievement one, achievements may not be completed at less then a 60 day interval. phase 1 may not be completed less then 6 months from the date the cadet joined CAP

+1 for going to the regs.  However...

There is no 52-1 on the Forms and Publications section of the national website.  Perhaps you mean 52-16?  If so, you're looking at an out of date copy, as neither of those statements show up in the most current revision (1 Oct 06 w/ Change 1 of 1 Jul 09).

Also, if you're gonna quote the gospel, please be kind enough to give chapter and verse (better known as the paragraph reference, such as 2-2c).  Makes it much easier for us Bereans (that's a real Bible reference) to verify the quote.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 13, 2009, 12:29:53 PM
There is no 52-1 on the Forms and Publications section of the national website. 

He's talking about CAP FORM CAPF 52-1.  It's the one that people who don't use the online system (now) use to record their cadets promotions, sign off on each one, fax it to NHQ for record and phase certification.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/capf052_001_D904BA1506749.doc
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

NC Hokie

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 13, 2009, 12:35:48 PM
He's talking about CAP FORM CAPF 52-1.

DOH!  Epic fail for the L-T.  Carry on, Squid.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Daniel

Update:

I got my ribbon 8/20 :)

I also failed the Wright Brothers test then too.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spike

^ Don't rush into testing, just to test.  You failed, which means you do not understand the material.  Go back, take 2 months to reread everything and ask questions. 

DC

Quote from: Spike on August 22, 2009, 06:45:24 PM
^ Don't rush into testing, just to test.  You failed, which means you do not understand the material.  Go back, take 2 months to reread everything and ask questions.
+1

Just because you can promote every two months doesn't mean you should. Most cadets that do this do not develop the proper leadership skills or gain enough experience to perform at a level commensurate with their rank. Take your time, learn, experience, and remember that not everything in life should be done like a 100m Dash.

lordmonar

Quote from: DC on August 22, 2009, 06:53:14 PM
Quote from: Spike on August 22, 2009, 06:45:24 PM
+1

Just because you can promote every two months doesn't mean you should. Most cadets that do this do not develop the proper leadership skills or gain enough experience to perform at a level commensurate with their rank. Take your time, learn, experience, and remember that not everything in life should be done like a 100m Dash.
Just because you pass a test does not mean we have to promote you.

Don't blame the fact that some cadets promote too fast on the cadets.  It is the commander's responsibilty his DCC andhis cadet staff's responbilitby to withhold promotion if the cadet is has not "develop the proper leadership skills or gain enough experince to perform at a level commensurate with their rank".

DC

That's absolutely true, unfortunately far too many squadron commanders are terrified of hurting their cadets' feelings or incurring the wrath of an angry parent if they decide to hold a cadet back. Too few people realize that getting promoted in the cadet program is a privilege and not an entitlement earned by passing written tests.

Daniel

Ok, so now I'm a bad cadet because I failed the Wright brothers test by 1-percent point
(%79)

You guys jump to A LOT of conclusions by the little things someone says.

Also, you guys would be insulted if I said "Just  because you got promoted doesn't mean you deserve it."

I honestly just want you to think about that, you guys have never seen my leadership skills. My commander didn't actually promote a couple cadets that were 'eligable' this week, actually they had taken all thier tests.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

arajca

Quote from: Daniel L on August 23, 2009, 12:24:32 AM
Ok, so now I'm a bad cadet because I failed the Wright brothers test by 1-percent point
(%79)
No one said you're a bad cadet. They said you didn't have full understanding of the material you were tested on. Big difference.

QuoteAlso, you guys would be insulted if I said "Just  because you got promoted doesn't mean you deserve it."
Mostly not. You'd be surprised how often that is said.

QuoteI honestly just want you to think about that, you guys have never seen my leadership skills.
You're right. All WE have to go by is what is posted here. That definitely does not produce a full knowledge of anyone.

QuoteMy commander didn't actually promote a couple cadets that were 'eligable' this week, actually they had taken all thier tests.
Good on your commander. That is something that very rarely happens in CAP.