Rotorhead

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 16, 2010, 12:02:39 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 15, 2010, 10:05:00 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 15, 2010, 03:34:28 PM
Quote from: MSgt Van on February 15, 2010, 02:47:36 PM
Quote from: pthorburn42@gmail.com on February 15, 2010, 01:37:40 AM
"it is punishible by federal law. "

:o  Uh, what? Yougoddabekiddinme.

It is against Federal Law to wear the uniform or parts of it unless you are RM or belong to an auxiliary or other organization permitted by law to wear it.

I don't buy this. Again, I'd like to see a cite of the law.

It s about half way down the page of this thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4395.msg84695#msg84695
Nope. Read it.

I want to see the cite from the CFR or USC that makes it against federal law to wear CAP insignia under false pretenses.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

heliodoc

OMG!!!

Now the worries of impersonating CAPers?!?!?

Will the horrors ever end?  Get Stonewall out there to do CAP legit checks, pronto.

Quickly!!!    The program is sliding out of control ......... MP  and GT impersonators  ...oooooohh   nnnooooo >:D >:D >:D >:D

Is there a CFR out on that? 

Hawk200

SarDragon

I am a Cadet Chief soon to be switching over to Senior member and working on wing staff. I have attended the national Honor Guard Acadmey and no cadet should every wear false rank on there uniform. it is punishible by federal law. Also, it can be grounds for termination. officers cant compete on the color guard compeition at any level. anyone who says otherwise is wrong. However they can preform and go to hga!

C/Cmsgt Thorburn
First Sergeant

Federal law? Really?

Tell you what, I'll even get you started on where to find a cite:  http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/

That's the current set of US laws that apply to what we're talking about.

Enjoy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

heliodoc

^^^^^
Now that is one great website!!

That ought to keep those CAP folks who are wanting to "cite please" Federal laws

Probably alot cleaner explanations on OPSEC and FOUO and NOT in the CAP sense either.  If one digs far enough.....

CAP folks quoting Federal law (cadets or seniors) need some clear educatin!     Or is that edumuckation?

Hawk200

Starting to wonder is there is a difference between a troll and toad.

I do know you should wash your hands after touching either one of them.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 15, 2010, 10:05:00 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 15, 2010, 03:34:28 PM
Quote from: MSgt Van on February 15, 2010, 02:47:36 PM
"it is punishible by federal law. "

:o  Uh, what? Yougoddabekiddinme.

It is against Federal Law to wear the uniform or parts of it unless you are RM or belong to an auxiliary or other organization permitted by law to wear it.

I don't buy this. Again, I'd like to see a cite of the law.

Quote from: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode10/usc_sec_10_00000771----000-.html

§ 771. Unauthorized wearing prohibited

Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may wear—
(1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the uniform, of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; or
(2) a uniform any part of which is similar to a distinctive part of the uniform of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps.

SarDragon

However, I contend that Cadet Joey Bagodonuts wearing incorrect rank insignia is NOT a federal crime. That's the statement that prompted posting the link.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JoeTomasone

Quote from: SarDragon on February 16, 2010, 12:08:19 PM
However, I contend that Cadet Joey Bagodonuts wearing incorrect rank insignia is NOT a federal crime. That's the statement that prompted posting the link.

Correct, and I never said it was.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 16, 2010, 01:06:35 AM
I want to see the cite from the CFR or USC that makes it against federal law to wear CAP insignia under false pretenses.

The section I posted above would include CAP insignia inasmuch as it is similar to USAF insignia -- but it would have to be on a uniform. 

Anyone can get a set of bottle caps and wear them on their t-shirt.  Put them on ACUs and it's another story.

Rotorhead

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 16, 2010, 12:45:04 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 16, 2010, 12:08:19 PM

Correct, and I never said it was.

But that's what I asked for, because it is what the cadet stated.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

pthorburn42@gmail.com

Maybe in your wing! but as said in national regulations, We are not subject to the uniform code of military conduct and thus cant be locked up for wearing a cap uniform outside of cap. the only thing that will happen is if you are a member then you will more thank likely be put on Suspension.

And by the way about wing staff, I will be a senior in 2 days and then my postion on wing staff we become official.

raivo

Quote from: pthorburn42@gmail.com on February 21, 2010, 10:46:00 PM
Maybe in your wing! but as said in national regulations, We are not subject to the uniform code of military conduct and thus cant be locked up for wearing a cap uniform outside of cap. the only thing that will happen is if you are a member then you will more thank likely be put on Suspension.

Erm... that's not what you said in your previous post, but okay...

Quote from: pthorburn42@gmail.com on February 21, 2010, 10:46:00 PMAnd by the way about wing staff, I will be a senior in 2 days and then my postion on wing staff we become official.

Okay.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

AirAux

I think the law everyone wanted to see is this one posted by John Kachenmeister in Feb. of 2008 under a different topic:

"False Personation of an Officer of the United States" (18 USC 44) is a felony, but requires specific intent to defraud another.

18 USC 33 sec. 702 makes it a misdemeanor (6 months in jail, max) to wear the uniform of the Armed Forces of the US, the Public Health Service of the US, or any auxiliary thereof.

Therefore it would appear that since we are the auxilary of the AF, anyone wearing our uniform or impersonating themselves as a CAP officer would in fact be violating a Federal law and subject to punishment.

Eclipse

Quote from: pthorburn42@gmail.com on February 21, 2010, 10:46:00 PM

I concur with AirAux - we wear a USAF variant under their direct authority - whether its based on wearing a USAF variant, or just the CAP uniform, per se, you could probably be prosecuted.  Further, if you in any way damage the corporation, whether in reputation or actual monetary damage, you'd be open to civil liability as well.

It might be unusual, but "unusual" doesn't mean "can't".  You might be surprised how tenacious a national corporation with the backing of the DoD and Congress can be if you poke them enough times with a stick.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 03, 2009, 06:55:05 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but a Color Guard can EASILY put together a team that goes to National in their first year. 

Our unit did it three times in the last 6 or 7 years. Each time the Color Guard make up was all new cadets, and one of them, two of the cadets had just gotten involved two weeks before they presented to a home game opening of the San Diego Chargers. The poor girl.. :)  Her first public presentation was on the jumbotron.. Low pass fly-by's, and lots of military like action on the field at the same time. It was the opening of Fleet week in San Diego.

They did excellent, and they have done the Chargers twice and the Padres three or four times.

C/Martin

Hello, I am rather new to this (the website). And I have not read every reply. I have been a CAP cadet for a year and a half along with my second year of AFJROTC. And since I was i AFJROTC first I kinda have their opinion on it. I do not get why rank is a matter when it comes to drill. No one really stops in the middle of a color guard detail to look at ranks. In AFJROTC we have an honor guard that competes all across the State. The Cadet Colonel (the only one in our unit) did not serve as a flight, element, detail, or individual Commander. But, i the event he participated in he was an element leader or just someone in the formation. This is like that with every school that goes to competition. We give everyone a shot to participate and command. My CAP squadron's last Color guard detail I commanded it and the VA Flag was my Sq Commander still wearing his C/2Lt ranks and I in my C/MSgt ranks.

And to answer the question of integrity. Regardless how small of a lie or standard practice it is at the Academies and Active duty lying is lying.
Regards,
C/CMSgt
Todd Martin
Executive Officer/Chief
VA-023