Cadet Commandership...

Started by Stonewall, March 12, 2009, 02:05:34 AM

Stonewall

I'll be assuming the role of DCC shortly and was told the current C/CC will be stepping down and a older, more experienced and higher ranking cadet will take over.  I'm not sure why he wasn't C/CC first anyway, but I have a feeling why this happened, but I won't share it here.

The current C/CC sent me an email today stating that she isn't ready to step down because she feels like she's really getting the hang of it.  It's been one year come April and I have always felt a year as C/CC is a good run.  I've heard of squadrons putting term limits on this position as short as 6 months, but mostly around 1 year.

If you have a young C/CC, say 16, what is their next step?  I have always had cadet commanders who are either juniors or seniors in high school and somehow managed to make it their last step before transitioning into college or military status.  Honestly, it just worked that way and it worked well.  In fact, it's exactly how I did it, except my term as C/CC was about 5 months before shipping out.

Anyone else run into this situation?
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Do you really need  a "term limit"?

If you have another cadet who is ready to step up to the job, then yes, a year or so and then it's "next batter".

But if you don't have a ready replacement at hand, then let them have some more time.
And tell them to start training their replacement, now.

Eclipse

Yes, and there's no easy answer.

Its a product of our dwindling numbers and having to drill-down further and further for the C/CC.  I've seen way too many
2d Lt's get appointed as C/CC, have a good year and then stop progressing because there's no more challenges in the squadron.

That or they get self-focused because they are told to leave the new C/CC alone to fail on their own and there's nothing for them to do.  Some go off to outside activities and the squadron and sometimes even the Wing loses them for good.

Perhaps the older cadet coming in will stick long enough to normalize the situation for you, but there's no quick answer here.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

No, I don't think term limits are necessary, but like you said, if there's another batter up and ready, then let's give'em a shot.

Just curious if anyone out there has term limits and if so, what is your argument for doing so.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

I think term limits serve to focus effort.

Everyone has a mental to-do list, without a deadline, whats the incentive to light the fires?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eeyore

Our squadron had to implement term limits when one cadet and the DCC hijacked the program for themselves (they are no longer in the program). Since then we have implemented a term limit of 6 months for the c/CC, although it isn't set in stone, more of a guideline. I have no idea why they kept them around after the one cadet left.

I was recently named DCC and have decided to go along with the whole term limit thing, for now. The current c/CC wants to stay in the position even though she has stagnated and others have moved beyond her. For many reasons that I am not willing to post publicly, I can't really ask her to simply step down without major repercussions (I'll take it to PM if you want insight into why I'm handling it this way).

After our change of command we will probably can the term limits and let everything move back to the steady stream for the position.

c172drv

In our squadron and under my watch I've had C/CC step down at the 1 year mark only to come back as the C/CC at a later date.  If the up and coming cadet is ready to take over and maybe has some time restrictions, ie going to school in the next year then I see making the change.  Otherwise I might hang onto the current C/CC to keep some consistency since you are stepping in Kirt.

John Jester
John Jester
VAWG

Eclipse

Quote from: edmo1 on March 12, 2009, 03:30:06 AM
I was recently named DCC and have decided to go along with the whole term limit thing, for now. The current c/CC wants to stay in the position even though she has stagnated and others have moved beyond her. For many reasons that I am not willing to post publicly, I can't really ask her to simply step down without major repercussions (I'll take it to PM if you want insight into why I'm handling it this way).

Term limits aren't term guarantees.  You comment about stagnation is one of the argument for limits, but if she's already checked out, make the change early.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

So long as the cadet that is stepping down, is kept active and in a position to contiue contributing (let's say CAC, Cadet Staff et al).  Last thing we need is to pass on to the cadets that situation all to common in the CAP Officer Commander sitation where a former Commander disappears into CAP oblivion.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on March 12, 2009, 02:05:34 AM
If you have a young C/CC, say 16, what is their next step?

I've found that cadets that hold those positions early on like that typically can find plenty of work doing other things.  Wing CAC chairman, Encampment Cadet Executive Staff, and work on special projects for their own unit.

But utlimately, I think that having specified terms is important for a number of reasons.

The first is that it gives you an out if things aren't going that well without having to can the cadet publicly. 

The second is that it gives a clear date to the cadet so they can focus their efforts and plan out goals, etc for their term.  I know many C/CCs that didn't have a specified term and didn't want to continue but were stuck with it.  They get burned out, lose motivation, and sometimes become bored.  It helps them not stagnate and provides them an opportunity to continue their own progression if they fall behind.

The third is so that other cadets can have an opportunity to develop their skills in different arenas. 

Right now, our current staff has these terms:

ELEMENT LEADER: 3 months
FLIGHT SERGEANT: 6 months
FIRST SERGEANT: 6 months
SUPPORT NCOS: 6 months
FLIGHT COMMANDER: 6 months
C/DEPUTY COMMANDER: 6 months
C/COMMANDER: 1 year

The staggered terms helps because we have more NCOs than officers and allows for some continuity between terms.  The worse that happens is that you put the same cadet in for another term, but at least they have the opportunity to step aside without issue.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

gistek

When I was DCC my squadron changed C/CC every year unless there wasn't anyone qualified available to step up. I also required everyone in my line staff to pick and train their replacement. This way if someone missed a meeting, their trainee could step in and the other trainees down that line moved up a step for that night.

Here's why we changed C/CC every year.

The position looks good on a college application, resume, or job application, but less than 1 year could look as if the person didn't do an adequate job.

Group and Wing prefer someone with squadron command staff experience to be C/CC at their events.

There are many jobs a former C/CC can move up into. Much depends on their area of interest. I've seen former C/C's become C/ES officers, C/Leadership Officer, Commander's Aid-de-Camp, CAC Chair, Mini-Encampment/Basic Cadet Training Coordinator at group and wing levels, and some have even taken positions at group level, like Cadet Programs Officer, Logistics Officer, and Administrative Officer.

Senior

I would say the short answer is "it depends".  WIWAC in MOWG we had
about 6 C/Col at about the same time.  All from different parts of the state
and in different squadrons.  I and the other C/Col were treated with respect.  I would answer that" it depends" on the cadets maturity and willingness to stick with the program after their tenure as Cadet Commander.  If the cadet is mature give them added responsibility.
Within reason don't treat the cadet like a child, challenge them with leadership situations, problem solving, try to encourage the past commander to grow intellectually with a professional reading program.
Consider this; if the cadet has performed well as a the cadet commander that cadet probably has the qualities to expand their knowledge and
boundaries in areas outside of the weekly meeting. 

I have just started participating in my squadron.  I have a cadet 2nd Lt.  that I challenge with leadership questions and situations to help him think.
I treat him like the mature cadet he is.  He plans to go into the Army next year. ;) I hope this helps.

PlaneFlyr

Personally, I like term limits.  Most new commanders want to make a difference and improve the unit, and knowing there's a limited time gives you a sense of urgency. 

Term limits, if any, should be determined on a squadron by squadron basis.  Some have lots of cadet officers who could use the leadership experience.  I've seen 12 month routinely, but a really well staffed unit might reduce that to 6 months.  And some units have a single officer or NCO, and a bunch of newbies (obviously, not a good choice for limits). 

After their C/CC term is up, most became an "advisor".  We used them to run special projects (airshows, SAREX's, etc.) so the new C/CC didn't have to spend quite as much time on the project, and could focus on regular training and activities. 
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

jimmydeanno

I think we're actually talking about two separate but related thing here:

1. Whether or not defined terms are appropriate.  Is it better to have a set period of time where someone is expected to hold a job and has a clear end point.  Or is it better to have an open ended job assignment?

and

2. Having a limit on those terms.  Is it good to only let someone serve one term or two terms. 

While I can understand a squadron that had one cadet officer and a bunch of new cadets, is it really fair to 'require' that the cadet stay the Cadet Commander for 2 years until someone else comes up?  Don't they deserve the opportunity to try new things and hold different positions?  It really isn't their fault that the squadron demographic is messed up.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ol'fido

MY old squadron did not have term limits per se but it usually rotated every year or so. The outgoing c/CCs were then made part of the "Honor Cadre" and served as advisors and mentors to the younger cadet officers. They were also treated as essentially senior members(or senior members in training) as far as the regs would allow. We were fortunate enough to have good c/CCs that did not let the position go to their heads and try to be the Cadet Dictator of the squadron.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

fighterjet05

Having been the C/CC of 3 squadrons, I find that having term limits is helpful. It takes the subconscious stress off that is caused by the fear of not having a replacement.  It allows time limits to set goals and measure these achievements.  If there is no replacement after the term have a talk with the C/CC and if they are willing let them continue but if they aren't then it allows them to have that choice.  An important factor to the success of the C/CC is Sr member support.  The C/CC is still learning as well and needs support too.  As for things to do after C/CC, CAP is a big organization with lots of opportunities, Wing Staff is an option, CAC as mentioned, Advisers to the C/CC, Encampment command staff, etc. I am now KSWG Cadet PAO.
Mitch Edwards, Capt, CAP
High Plains Composite Squadron Commander
Spaatz #1757

Nathan

I think the issue is a little different than what some people think.

The question we should first answer is, "In order for the cadet program to be at the maximum quality, does the program need to be at the maximum effectiveness?" The answer, as far as I am concerned, is no. In fact, having a cadet program running 100% smoothly would be counterproductive to what we are trying to achieve.

For instance, if we have a cadet commander that has been the sterling example of a cadet commander, then for the program to run 100% efficiently, the obvious choice would to be to keep said cadet commander. However, if our goal in this program is to teach leadership, problem solving, critical thinking, and other such skills to cadets enrolled in the program, then having a cadet commander that makes no mistakes and can solve any problem quickly and easily would actually deprive the other cadets of the chance to practice these skills themselves.

So, if I got an emal from a cadet asking what the OP was asked, I would not necessarily ask if the cadet commander was "finally getting the hang of it", but rather the following two questions:

A) Has the current cadet commander demonstrated a proficient knowledge in what we wanted her to learn?

B) If there are other candidates, are they in a position where they would be better benefited taking over the cadet commander slot than the cadet currently holding the position? Or is there another position that might still be a good learning opportunity?

Remember that if there are no real problems with the cadet program, then they probably aren't learning everything they need to. This isn't to say that we should intentionally choose poor commanders, but once a commander "has the hang of it", I would say it's time to pass the buck to someone who doesn't yet. Unless, of couse, that cadet commander already has the skills the position would have allowed them to develop.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.