How to recruit cadet members...

Started by Stonewall, February 21, 2009, 10:13:00 PM

Stonewall

A spin off from this thread abotu recruiting seniors.

Currently at my squadron (cadet side), I have seen 5 active cadet staff members (officer & senior NCO types) and 2 cadets in complete uniforms followed by 3 brand spanking new cadets, one or two in partial BDUs, which I am totally against.

As I said in the senior thread "have a program and they will come".  My squadron does not have a "program" for new members.  I have hashed this out before and I think it's important to say again, but allowing new cadet members to trickle in and just sort of be on their own program does them a disservice, makes them bored, doesn't give them any indoctrination to the program and chances are will not stick with the program. 

Here is proof:  Out of our 5 cadet staff members, ALL of them have been in the program longer than 3 years.  They all came in when the DCC at the time had an indoctrination program similar to what I call "T-Flight".  Everyone else since he left has trickled in and lasted 6 to 12 months before bailing out.  What was in it for them?"

Seriously, if you have a program in place, you will not have to go out and recruit.  Initially, yes, to get a handful of active members in the program.  But after your first T-Flight, you won't have to recruit.

Food for thought.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Don't let your "program" become "the program"... i.e.  You have a complex T-flight or whatever that brings in members, but once they get out of T-flight they see what is really on offer and quit... Start new T-flight next quarter, lather, rinse, repeat.  Become a drain on those in the squadron that stick around, sap morale. 

Instead keep it fast and light achieving a minimum training objective that complements rather than supplements what is already part of achievement testing... And do it less often, don't siphon time, resources and personnel away from the real program.

Mike Johnston

Stonewall

T-Flight is just a drop in the bucket; a small piece that creates the foundation for the individual cadet and the rest of the squadron.  The squadron is the meat and potatoes, T-Flight is just the starting point.  We generally ran 3, maybe 4 cycles a year and rotated cadet staff so as to give as many cadet NCOs and officers a chance to experience running T-Flight.

It's such an easy program to support and maintain, it requires little effort from more than 2 squadron members, 1 senior and 1 cadet, maybe 2 cadets, one being an officer.

Here's the program...

BASIC CADET TRAINING PROGRAM OUTLINE
TRAINING FLIGHT

ZERO WEEK:  Cadet and parent(s) attend squadron meeting and receive briefing from Squadron Commander or designated senior member.  This briefing will include the following:  CAP History, missions, activities, and explanation of T-Flight program.

WEEK ONE:  

•   Introduce SMIC, and C/NCOIC and/or C/OIC of T-Flight.
•   Review all requirements to complete T-Flight and be promoted to airman.
•   Introduce basic military customs and courtesies.
•   Explanation of what is expected from each cadet.
•   Overview of training material and memorization requirements.

WEEK TWO:

•   Introduction to military drill (teach position of attention, parade rest, and at ease).
•   Military ranking system and the process to earn rank in CAP.
•   CAP Structure (break down of different command headquarters).
•   Military customs and courtesies continued from week one.

WEEK THREE:

•   Stationary drill movements to include all facing movements (one hour).
•   CAP Chain of Command up through National Commander and how the chain of command is used in CAP.
•   CAP missions with emphasis on Emergency Services.

WEEK FOUR:

•   Introduction to moving drill (one hour).
•   Cadet uniforms (insignia, nametags, patches, and ribbons).
•   Grooming standards.

WEEK FIVE:

•   All stationary and moving drill commands (one hour).
•   Reporting procedures.

WEEK SIX:

•   Review all drill commands (one hour).
•   Practice review board techniques.

WEEK SEVEN: 

Note:  Cadets are to bring (not wear) complete set of BDUs.

•   Instruction on uniform maintenance (ironing and boot shining).
•   Review Chapter one, Leadership 2000 for next week's testing.

WEEK EIGHT:

•   30 question test, Leadership 2000.
•   Review Boards.
•   Drill evaluation.

GRADUATION (WEEK NINE):

•   Invite family members to witness your graduation from T-Flight and promotion to Cadet Airman. 
•   Upon graduation cadets will report to their new flight sergeant and fall in their new flight.
•   Refreshments will be available.
•   Graduation time will be 2030.
Serving since 1987.

mprokosch11

Very well put together, Stonewall. I've been trying to implement a similar program for my squadron. But, very good ideas, indeed.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

Stonewall

I just found this in my file of CAP shtuff...

The Fairfax Times was a community newspaper that allowed non-profit groups to post small advertisements for upcoming events for free.

This is one I posted several times over a 3 year period.  You may have something similar in your community:

--------------
Civil Air Patrol is looking for young adults, ages 12 to 17 to join our ranks.  Interested in aviation?  Or maybe the military?  If so, the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program is for you.  If you're looking for a challenge, join us for an informative introduction to Civil Air Patrol, the official civilian auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force.  Meet CAP cadets and hear first-hand what it's like to be a cadet.  Learn about the incredible opportunities CAP has to offer, including flight training, leadership development, search and rescue, military drill, and much more.  We'll explain all the benefits of belonging to one of America's finest youth programs.

Visit the Fairfax Squadron on September 15th at 8:00 pm during our open house.  Fairfax meets every Monday from 7:00 to 9:15 pm at the Fairfax American Legion, 3939 Oak Street in Fairfax.  For more information call (703) 742-XXXX or write fairfaxsquadron@comcast.net, and be sure to visit the squadron website at www.fairfaxsquadron.org.
--------------
Serving since 1987.

Pumbaa

one of the more informative posts on this board.. Thanks Stonewall...