The CAC. What can it really accomplish.

Started by Eclipse, August 13, 2008, 07:18:58 AM

Eclipse

Well, we're two pages and 500+ views into this and no one has really come up with anything yet, which is kind of my point....

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: helper on August 15, 2008, 03:52:12 AM
Does anyone have suggestions that a Wing CAC should/could do to improve the situation? Because cadets must give up a Saturday and travel a few hours (more or less), what will motivate them to participate? For example, provide training or an activity. I'd like to share your thoughts with our CAC rep.
An alternative is to not meet in person as often. When I was on CAC, we only met in person at Commander's Calls once per quarter. Transportation was simple, we could hitch a ride with any number of SMs going to the meeting. In between those meetings we had conference calls, or used a chat room to meet, this eliminated the need to go anywhere.

I think the primary purpose of the meeting should be to accomplish CAC related business, and if the reps are serious about their job, they shouldn't need an extra draw to want to go. That being said, a fun teamwork excersize will be fun, promote unity, and will improve everyone. Not a bad idea, but it should only be done when you run out of CAC business to attend to.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2008, 03:54:33 AM
Well, we're two pages and 500+ views into this and no one has really come up with anything yet, which is kind of my point....

Because what they do isn't a task list - it is to advise each echelon commander on CP related issues.  Just because they aren't being used properly doesn't mean that they don't serve a purpose.

"Advising" isn't something you can quantify, which is what you are looking for.  It isn't the "Cadet National Board Proposal Writing Council" or the "Cadet Activities Council."

When I was on CAC, we did plenty.  The Wing CC would ask our opinion on cadet related NB voting items, etc to give him a different perspective on which way to vote.  Whether or not he listened is his choice, but we did our job of "advising."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Lancer

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2008, 03:54:33 AM

How about you take this topic to Cadetstuff and see what kind of feedback you get?

NavLT

I think that CAC is an effective Feedback loop when employed by the commander, if not it is the commanders fault not CAC.  If the Wing Commander has a policy they are considering (Cadet, ES etc) and he runs it by the CAC in advance for a formulated opinion of what the bottom feels then it could offer a fresh/non-political response to the idea.  

Much of the Problem is that many commanders pass this off to the CP person who runs the meeting and directs the CAC, instead of teaching them to run the meeting and letting them and having tasking from the commander to review and comment.

This sort of tasking also generates the mindset to look at policy and critique it for changes, once that mindset exists CAC might review existing policy and make recommendations independent of the tasking.

If the commander does not have regular contacts with the CAC then the mission has failed.  Commanders should consider the CAC like any other "directorate" for tasking and to hear their voice.

V/R
LT J.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Does anyone have suggestions that a Wing CAC should/could do to improve the situation? Because cadets must give up a Saturday and travel a few hours (more or less), what will motivate them to participate? For example, provide training or an activity. I'd like to share your thoughts with our CAC rep.

I got a cord and a ribbon out of the deal.
Mike Johnston

kpetersen

Different things I've seen done as "perks" to the CAC:

• For late morning or early afternoon meetings, lunch (pizza) was provided.
  • Registration and/or hotel room provided for conference level equal to the CAC level.
  • IF the squadron commanders send their high-speed, active cadets to the CAC, it gives them an opportunity to network and discuss common issues among the squadrons.
  • CAC meetings held jointly with SARExes or other activities; therefore they're not just traveling for the CAC meeting.
  • If they do Congress (speech/debate event), it gives them practice making speeches ^_~
  • Midnight CAC run to iHop.

The most productive CAC meetings I've seen are ones held in person.  The problem with conference calls is getting the time scheduled, and then you have a  cut-off point when you have to be finished.  It doesn't give you the ability to take breaks and just mingle with people casually.  You also can have a lot of people doing other things, such as surfing the web or watching tv when not meeting face to face.  This can at least be mitigated by being in person.  It's also harder to feel close to people that you've never seen.
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP