Battle Buddy vs Wingman

Started by NewDCC, August 23, 2011, 01:31:38 AM

Ford73Diesel

At CG boot camp "Shipmate" was overused. It is almost never used out in the fleet. I've always thought it was funny calling people "Shipmate" because I have never been on a vessel over 47 feet.

There are not too many reservist/ NG who are still cadets. I'd say my wing had 4, my brother and I making up two of them, although I participated in very few meetings as a reservist cadet. Two were CG, the other two were Army NG and one fo them was a very active phase 4 in the wing.

Battle buddy is not the most appropriate for CAP, because it's not battle oriented. But then again. most of the military is not directly battle oriented. I don't think it is something that needs to be spelled out in the regs. The command should make the decision and keep it consistent.

NIN

"Ranger Buddy" was the term that was in common usage when I went thru BCT.

As in "Where the @#$% is your @#$% Ranger Buddy, Private @#$%?  You not supposed to go @#$$%  any-@#$&-where without your @#$% Ranger Buddy, Private @#$%@&!!! Go get your @#$% Ranger @#$% Buddy RIGHT @##$% NOW!"  (and the whole time I'm hearing this, I'm laughing on the inside about the guy on the first day of BCT who very confidently said "Yeah, they can't swear at you, you know!"  Something like 9 minutes later, we knew that to be a lie..)

At some point in the late 1980s, early 1990s, the term "Battle Buddy" came into the lexicon, and as they say, it all went downhill from there.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sarmed1

"......Sgt Cotez, no matter how short your stay with this command may be, there are two words you WILL learn to put together....TEAM, MATE!......, carry on."

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

ol'fido

Quote from: NIN on August 24, 2011, 12:07:57 AM
"Ranger Buddy" was the term that was in common usage when I went thru BCT.

As in "Where the @#$% is your @#$% Ranger Buddy, Private @#$%?  You not supposed to go @#$$%  any-@#$&-where without your @#$% Ranger Buddy, Private @#$%@&!!! Go get your @#$% Ranger @#$% Buddy RIGHT @##$% NOW!"  (and the whole time I'm hearing this, I'm laughing on the inside about the guy on the first day of BCT who very confidently said "Yeah, they can't swear at you, you know!"  Something like 9 minutes later, we knew that to be a lie..)

At some point in the late 1980s, early 1990s, the term "Battle Buddy" came into the lexicon, and as they say, it all went downhill from there.
I just had a Ft. Benning flashback. It was deja vu all over again. :o
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

manfredvonrichthofen

I use the term Battle Buddy because it was drilled into me while in the Army, granted it fit being Infantry. I have never grown out of it simply because I heard it used across the military. Same with Class A.

Ron1319

Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ol'fido

Cap'n

It would be weird for me to say Wingman, as I watch 'How I Met Your Mother'. >:D

But my squadron uses Battle Buddy only; I've never heard someone say Wingman, but personally I like it better.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Pomegranate on January 08, 2012, 09:42:13 PM
It would be weird for me to say Wingman, as I watch 'How I Met Your Mother'. >:D

But my squadron uses Battle Buddy only; I've never heard someone say Wingman, but personally I like it better.
Our encampment training guides said wingman...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

titanII

;D Agreed.
No longer active on CAP talk

Cap'n

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 08, 2012, 11:36:05 PM

Our encampment training guides said wingman...

I apologize I guess I worded my post weird. I actually do like Wingman better then Battle Buddy. I think Wingman is more appropriate for the Air Force Auxiliary than Battle Buddy, which I believe is an Army term.

Extremepredjudice

I was just stating what my experience was. ETGs are different per wing, per encampment.

Personally I don't care.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

rustyjeeper

In this day and age of policical correctness......
"signifigant other" >:D
but sarcasm aside- Battle Buddy is the term from WIWAC and what I learned in the
Army, so I still use that ( I am not too PC)

AngelWings

Whatever happened to sis or bro? If I were to ever trust you in the field or trust you on my wing than you better be able to be like family to me.

HGjunkie

I always prefer saying "Dude" or "Man" myself.

Keeps it friendly. >:D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Littleguy on January 10, 2012, 09:08:47 PM
Whatever happened to sis or bro? If I were to ever trust you in the field or trust you on my wing than you better be able to be like family to me.

you got it....
if ever we are teamed up you will be addressed as "Sis" by me! And it wont be considered hazing because I am printing a copy of your written request to keep on file >:D :clap: >:D

AngelWings

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 17, 2012, 03:34:54 AM

you got it....
if ever we are teamed up you will be addressed as "Sis" by me! And it wont be considered hazing because I am printing a copy of your written request to keep on file >:D :clap: >:D
Alright, ma'am  ;)

ol'fido

Quote from: Littleguy on January 17, 2012, 09:42:58 PM
Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 17, 2012, 03:34:54 AM

you got it....
Alright, ma'am  ;)
We won't ask but we might tell. ::)