Battle Buddy vs Wingman

Started by NewDCC, August 23, 2011, 01:31:38 AM

NewDCC

After 18 months in the program I think I will scream if I hear the term Battle Buddy one more time.  I have been in the AF and ANG for the past 26 years and have heard the term Wingman used when referring to looking out for your fellow airman.  It is used in all of the suicide prevention and sexual assault prevention training material.  I have heard the term Battle Buddy used by my joint friends in the Army for similar purposes. 

I am not sure how the term Battle Buddy took hold so pervasively in my squadron and wing, but I feel the term Wingman is more correct for an organization that is the Auxiliary of the Air Force.

Is anybody out there using the "Wingman" term anywhere?

Eclipse

I think it is becoming pervasive because of the high number of cadets in the Army Guard and Reserves who stay active in the program.

We used BB at Spring Encampment last year - didn't really give it a second thought, though wingman is probably more appropriate for CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2011, 01:42:37 AM
I think it is becoming pervasive because of the high number of cadets in the Army Guard and Reserves who stay active in the program.

I don't think there are that many. I've run across a total of...three? in 5 years of active participation.

If anything it's because we get more Army SMs than Air Force.

LGM30GMCC

Neither is strictly speaking appropriate to CAP.  8)

[Snarky]
Consider, we do not routinely fly in formation nor fight in battle.

Therefore I propose:
"Copilot"

(Besides we're the CIVIL Air Patrol both of these terms are too MILITARY for use by us CIVILIANS)
[/snarky]

In all honesty it doesn't matter much, but if you are going for service representation then yes, Wingman would make more sense. I'm not a huge fan of the overuse of the term in the USAF.

Ed Bos

Quote from: NewDCC on August 23, 2011, 01:31:38 AM
I am not sure how the term Battle Buddy took hold so pervasively in my squadron and wing, but I feel the term Wingman is more correct for an organization that is the Auxiliary of the Air Force.

Don't discount the sweet sonic seductiveness that allows Airmen to admire alliteration... Army folks in CAP aside, Battle Buddy is probably just more fun to say.

I have been in the AF and ANG for the past 26 years and have heard the term Wingman used when referring to looking out for your fellow airman.

FWIW, When I went through AF BMT the term Battle Buddy was thrown around quite a bit during Warrior Week. I think, despite the attractiveness of a term that's got sequential starting consonants, Wingman would be preferable in CAP simply because we're the non-combat auxiliary of the AF.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

HGjunkie

Eh, we use both at FLWG encampments.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

capme

How about shipmate?  There are as many Navy Vets as Army or AF Vets in my wing.
Joyce A Gaddis, Maj, CAP

ol'fido

Plus the term "wingman" has some social connotations that might not be appropriate for our cadets. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Quote from: capme on August 23, 2011, 02:20:11 AM

Shipmate  has had an unpleasant connotation over the years, and many Sailors are reluctant to use it, for that reason. I think its use in CAP would be inappropriate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

We use wingman in our entire wing.  As the CoC of the last encampment, "Wingman" was the term of the day.  "Cadet, where is your Wingman!"  It was written into their knowledge books, and used by the staff.  Wingman is what it is - no battle buddies.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Briski

How is this any different from the pervasiveness of terms like "cover" and "Class A's"?

I got it. Encourage USAF-style terminology where you have the influence. But is it really worth expending emotional energy in situations where you don't?
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Huey Driver

At my basic encampment, the staff would always say BB, but if we said BB, we'd get yelled at. Therefore I now only say wing man.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

RiverAux

Seems like wingman would be more appropriate for CAP and I don't think it would be all that hard to change the culture.  Keep in mind that cadets aren't around for a while and if a senior keeps using wingman it won't take but a few years for battle buddy to become uncommon as the cadets that used it move on. 

That being said, I probably wouldn't make a big stink about it to the cadets, just start using it yourself and lead by example and eventually it will work out. 

titanII

FWIW, we used "Battle Buddy"'at my BE this year. I don't know why we did, and I don't have a huge problem with it. I guess "Wingman" would be more appropriate. IMO it sounds less childish than "Battle Buddy" (please don't eat me alive about that one, Army people)

"And that's all I'm gonna say about that." -Forrest Gump
No longer active on CAP talk

lordmonar

After 18 months in the program I think I will scream if I hear the term Battle Buddy one more time.  I have been in the AF and ANG for the past 26 years and have heard the term Wingman used when referring to looking out for your fellow airman.  It is used in all of the suicide prevention and sexual assault prevention training material.  I have heard the term Battle Buddy used by my joint friends in the Army for similar purposes. 

Is anybody out there using the "Wingman" term anywhere?

I don't use either.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SamFranklin

The new leadership books explain the wingman concept on page 45 of Volume 1.

"I look after my wingman, he looks after me. We work together. We fight together."  - Gabby Gabreski

capme

Quote from: SarDragon on August 23, 2011, 02:29:25 AM
Quote from: capme on August 23, 2011, 02:20:11 AM

Shipmate  has had an unpleasant connotation over the years, and many Sailors are reluctant to use it, for that reason. I think its use in CAP would be inappropriate.

That was a tongue in cheek suggestion.  As a retired MAC I would oppose such terminology of course.
Joyce A Gaddis, Maj, CAP

JC004

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 23, 2011, 01:59:38 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2011, 01:42:37 AM

I don't think there are that many. I've run across a total of...three? in 5 years of active participation.

If anything it's because we get more Army SMs than Air Force.

I've known a lot more than 3.  Several were cadets with me, but I've known several more recent as well.

Quote from: Briski on August 23, 2011, 02:36:46 AM
How is this any different from the pervasiveness of terms like "cover" and "Class A's"?

Class A is now CAP-appropriate since it is now Air Force terminology. 

Persona non grata

Who cares! OMG lets get it regulated!!!!!!!.  I just say BFF ;D in my group
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Persona non grata

Quote from: JerseyCadet on August 23, 2011, 02:47:08 AM
At my basic encampment, the staff would always say BB, but if we said BB, we'd get yelled at. Therefore I now only say wing man.

They really yelled at you for that? If they did they were wasting their energy.   ::)
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........