An Open Message to Cadets

Started by anonymous former c/col, May 17, 2011, 02:03:29 AM

anonymous former c/col

This is a message for current cadets.

1) No matter what you do in your life, "real" military or not, CAP will be a huge benefit to you. 

It won't be a waste of time even if you're "just a civilian." 

I was dead set on being an officer, and it didn't work out for medical reasons.  I am now in a civilian job that demands integrity, leadership, extreme confidence, and a very level head.  If it hadn't been for my cadet life, I promise you I would not be as successful as I am in this job.

Being a CAP cadet is the ultimate "leadership lab" and practice for adult life.  Do as much stuff as you can.  Don't limit yourself to CAP, though.  Balance.

2) Poop happens.  Have a back-up plan.

Some of my most high-speed and motivated cadets did not get into the military.  One got very sick and was PDQ (permanently disqualified) because of that illness.  One lost a toe mowing his lawn - also PDQ.  They thought it was the end of the world.  I did too - for a while.

Would you?  See #1.

Adults who were cadets, feel free to comment.  I'd love to hear some stories of support.  Testify!   ;)

AlphaSigOU

Well said! I went through the cadet program from 1977 through 1985 and topped out at cadet major. (Hindsight being 20/20 these days I could have gone all the way to cadet lieutenant colonel and at least tried for the Spaatz. But that's way in the past...) Went senior after going AD AF and stayed for a couple of years before other interests  took over and I let my membership lapse in 1988. Fast forward 17 years later and I rejoined in 2005... still active as of today, even though my work keeps me far away from most CAP activities.
Cadets: don't let the little stuff discourage you - what you put into CAP as a cadet will help you in your adult life.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

raivo

More than once (at OTS and in college) I knew the answers to test questions on leadership from CAP tests in years past.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

CT074CC

CAP is a great resource!  I have to agree that without CAP, I would not have advanced as far as I have in my career.  Having served every cadet position including Cadet Commander of Encampment, I know firsthand the value of the program.  I've seen cadets come and go, but they all take something valuable from it, if they really put something into it.  Now, as a Captain and the AO, ESO, CP; I can give back what I have received.  The biggest regret as a cadet was having the mentality that NCO's were more superior to Cadet Officer's, trying to use the AD mentality.  However, at an Encampment one year, I woke up and smellled the roses, and went from C/MSgt to C/Capt quite quickly and onto many opportunities in CAP.  You can't get time back, but you can help others see the dangers of a philosophy skewed at its very core!