Parade Rest Vs At Ease

Started by RC1488, June 26, 2010, 06:29:20 PM

SarDragon

If you call any right-turning movement on the left foot, you're gonna get a mess.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

IIRC, you call directional movements on the foot you're moving in. For example, "Column right, MARCH" would be.

-Right- Column Right
-Left-
-Right- MARCH
-Left- Pivot right

But it's also been a long time since I did drill.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vorter

Who knows where to buy the Learn 2 Lead textbook.
It was supposed to be released July 1st on Vanguard but I cant find it.
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

NIN

Quote from: Ozzy on June 29, 2010, 12:34:06 AM
Army calls pretty much all of their commands on the left foot... When doing columns, the Army keeps people marching at full steps rather then half steps until Forward March is called...  A lot of changes with Color Guard movements... I think the Army still has obliques while the AF got rid of them years ago... Does differences in calling commands count too? (Like Army says At-ten-Chun! vs. Ten-hut)

I neglected to reply to this one, but since I'm back from Annual Training and spent an inordinate amount of time with my nose in FM 3-21.5 teaching D&C, it leaps out at me..

(Note: I've spent too many years on the AF side of D&C, and every year when I teach Army D&C at AT, I remember more and more things and don't accidentally try to "Air Force-itize" things<GRIN>  This year was probably one of my best yet for doing it right all the time.  Only spent 14 years in an Army uniform, you'd think I'd get it right by now, huh?)

The Army doesn't really specifically call many more commands on the left foot than the right than the Air Force does.  I'd say 98% of the commands that the Army & the Air Force share are given on the same foot between services.

Also, the Army doesn't call a 'Forward, MARCH" after a column.  The Army does the "swinging gate" sort of thing (instead of the AF's "45-step-45" or "45-step-step-step-45" type of column) and when the members of a rank are "online" following the turns, they step off without continuing half step...

I kept having to remember to say "Aten-shun" not "Ten-hut.." :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

DC

Quote from: vorter on July 04, 2010, 01:07:59 AM
Who knows where to buy the Learn 2 Lead textbook.
It was supposed to be released July 1st on Vanguard but I cant find it.
It is supposed to be available shortly, there have been some delays with the printing, or so I've heard.

It is also available for free download here.

Out of curiosity, does this have anything to do with Parade Rest vs. At Ease?

davidsinn

Quote from: NIN on July 25, 2010, 01:30:04 AM
The Army does the "swinging gate" sort of thing (instead of the AF's "45-step-45" or "45-step-step-step-45" type of column) and when the members of a rank are "online" following the turns, they step off without continuing half step...

So they march like a marching band? >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on July 25, 2010, 01:30:04 AMAlso, the Army doesn't call a 'Forward, MARCH" after a column.  The Army does the "swinging gate" sort of thing (instead of the AF's "45-step-45" or "45-step-step-step-45" type of column) and when the members of a rank are "online" following the turns, they step off without continuing half step...

The Canoe Club calls the "45-step-45" thing a column movement, and the "swinging gate" thing a turn. We used turns almost exclusively in boot camp.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret