Bachelor of Science-Professional Pilot

Started by Flying Pig, December 05, 2008, 09:57:49 PM

Flying Pig

http://www.uvscaviation.com/

Has anyone here gone this route?  Any comments.  I can get credits towards my degree for the ratings I already hold.  On-line is the only way I can attend college with working full time, CAP and life.  But Id like to finish up the BA.

I looked at Embry-Riddle online, then after I regained consciousness.......Holy Cow!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SilverEagle2

This is a new incarnation of an older program when UVU was UVSC. I hear some good things, but as I recall, it is still a very new 4 year degree program. It is getting some praise, but some has been the hype generated by the schools recent accreditation change.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

A.Member

What is your objective with the degree?   

My honest suggestion, if you want an aviation related degree, would be to look at a more "useful" degree program, such as Aviation Business/Administration or Aerospace Engineering.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Flying Pig

My objective really is just to further my education for work.  In Law Enforcement there are so many morons with degrees that are promoting who werent worth a crap as cops......but when promotion time comes, they are the few who meet the minimum requirements.  I have done more work getting my Instrument and 2 Commercial ratings than most of those bone heads with their online Crim degrees.

Now that my rant is over.....Pay Incentives ie. $200 extra with a Bachelors, I need a Bachelors degree to get my Advanced POST Certificate which brings in an extra $100.   Grand total....$300 per month extra.  Not to mention, I like to learn a thing or two and maybe set myself up for the future.  I can retire in 9 years with my 20 at age 43.  Id like to be able to leave if I want.

Like I said above.....I am pretty restricted to online education.  Id love nothing more than to go to a traditional college.  For those cadets reading this......GO TO COLLEGE,  NOOOOOWWWWWW.  Or at least get your AA done, then go blow stuff up.

A.Member

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 05, 2008, 10:40:38 PM
My objective really is just to further my education for work.  In Law Enforcement there are so many morons with degrees that are promoting who werent worth a crap as cops......but when promotion time comes, they are the few who meet the minimum requirements.  I have done more work getting my Instrument and 2 Commercial ratings than most of those bone heads with their online Crim degrees.

Now that my rant is over.....Pay Incentives ie. $200 extra with a Bachelors, I need a Bachelors degree to get my Advanced POST Certificate which brings in an extra $100.   Grand total....$300 per month extra.  Not to mention, I like to learn a thing or two and maybe set myself up for the future.  I can retire in 9 years with my 20 at age 43.  Id like to be able to leave if I want.

Like I said above.....I am pretty restricted to online education.  Id love nothing more than to go to a traditional college.  For those cadets reading this......GO TO COLLEGE,  NOOOOOWWWWWW.  Or at least get your AA done, then go blow stuff up.
With that being the case, I stand by my previous recommendation.  If you're going to put the effort into earning a degree, get one with some benefits.  A Professional Pilot degree doesn't gain you much, even if your goal is to be just that -  a "professional" pilot; it's the actual hours that make the real difference there, not the degree. 

Again, for your purposes, if you're interested in an aviation-related degree, get an Aviation Business/Administration degree.  You can do this online and it provides you with a greater knowledge of business in general; a much more transferable degree/skill set should you ever need it.  If you're an AOPA member, AOPA's Flight Training magazines December issue contains a list of accredited degree programs.

Just my $.02.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

caprr275

that might not be a bad choice for you. most 141 schools who are part of a university will NOT give you college credit for ratings that you allready hold.

it looks alot cheeper than the $100,000 price tag I just paid Western Michigan University.... but for me who is going to make a living on flying it was the right choice....

Bloodhound

I completed my BS Degree in 2006 while working full time rotating shifts as a police officer through Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ.  I too could not afford the time to attend "regular" classes, but found the distance learning option worked for me.  TESC was one of the pioneering schools in distance learning, and their tuition is much more affordable than ERAU.

They have a BS Degree in "Aviation Flight Technology" that might work for you:  http://www.tesc.edu/2733.php.  They give credits for FAA ratings and are generous with previously earned credits.

I found the courses to be challenging and also a good learning experience.  I'd do it again through TESC.

One word of caution:  you will have to have a lot of self-discipline to keep at the reading and homework assignments - it is easy to get sidetracked at home and put things off.   ;)
Amy Binder, Capt, CAP
CFI, CFIG
Hilltown Senior Squadron
NER-PA-251

Duke Dillio

I'm in a completely online program through Devry University working on a Bachelor's in Business Admin.  They have lots of online programs which help me since I work rotating 12 hour shifts.  I am already 3/4 of the way to my degree.  I also like their online classes a lot better than some of the other colleges I have seen with the same types of programs, i.e. University of Phoenix, National American University.

Flying Pig

Man-O-Man....

The price on some of these online programs is about as much as actually attending the school in person.

caprr275......

Whats your degree in?

rightstuffpilot

True true that most 141 colleges do not give you credit for prior ratings.  In particular ERAU on campus and UND both require you retake their course, not even excepting your prior experience (there are a few exceptions to this rule).  WMU is expensive for what you get (sorry Bowden).
HEIDI C. KIM, Maj , CAP
CFI/CFII/MEI
Spaatz # 1700

Cedar Rapids Composite Squadron- Commander

flyerthom

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 05, 2008, 09:57:49 PM
http://www.uvscaviation.com/

Has anyone here gone this route?  Any comments.  I can get credits towards my degree for the ratings I already hold.  On-line is the only way I can attend college with working full time, CAP and life.  But Id like to finish up the BA.

I looked at Embry-Riddle online, then after I regained consciousness.......Holy Cow!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.concordlawschool.edu/index.asp?source=106813&ve=60120&phid=11&gclid=CMfW0NXErZcCFRlRagod4SAmjA

It's only BAR eligible in CA but since you're there that's not an issue.
TC

CASH172

Quote from: rightstuffpilot on December 07, 2008, 01:45:28 AM
True true that most 141 colleges do not give you credit for prior ratings.  In particular ERAU on campus and UND both require you retake their course, not even excepting your prior experience (there are a few exceptions to this rule).  WMU is expensive for what you get (sorry Bowden).

Can't speak for UND, but I can certainly say ERAU will give credit for prior ratings.  Also, ERAU is part 142, so the requirements may be different.  ERAU can even give some part 142 credit for an uncompleted rating by doing a check flight on certain items. 

I'm not sure about credit for prior ratings for the worldwide program.  I would also recommend against getting a Professoinal Pilot degree in your situation. 

caprr275

I will be graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Aviation Flight Science.

True some schools both part 141 and 142 can give credit for a rating if you complete the schools "short course" (WMU lingo)  however you still paying to fly the same lesions you did on your own again and your paying for the university credit.

Heidi, you know WMU is better than UND any day :P   
*ducks left hook*

SarDragon

Quote from: caprr275 on December 09, 2008, 06:00:08 AM
I will be graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Aviation Flight Science.

True some schools both part 141 and 142 can give credit for a rating if you complete the schools "short course" (WMU lingo)  however you still paying to fly the same lesions you did on your own again and your paying for the university credit.

Heidi, you know WMU is better than UND any day :P   
*ducks left hook*

Flight lesions????   Are those contagious????  ;D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret