The use of FaceBook jobs wanted as a recruiting tool!

Started by OldGuy, August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM

G+10

+1000

Quote from: Commo on August 31, 2017, 04:31:14 PM

How is that relevant?  Retention will be based on the individual's experience with CAP, the squadron, the squadron's seniors, and the squadron's cadets over the next 365 days.  The spark that piqued their interest may be remembered, but will be long irrelevant at renewal time at next year.

Unless the naysayers are suggesting that recruiting method A is always superior over method B, and method C will only bring in the "worst sort" to CAP, then with continued all due respect... a speculative comment to next year's retention is irrelevant.  (It would be just as irrelevant if it was a postive speculation, too)

Commo

donaldfmorgan - FANTASTIC job in thinking outside of the box!

OldGuy

commo and G+10 - thanks!

Credit Wing PAO, this was her idea. And a great one, as far as I have seen so far.

etodd

Give it maybe 10 more years and there will not be many old naysayers left.  Time for all the young whippersnappers to take hold and run with the ball ....
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: Commo on August 31, 2017, 04:31:14 PM
Quote from: PHall on August 31, 2017, 02:44:34 AM

And then there's the REAL test. Will they be around to renew in a year?

How is that relevant?  Retention will be based on the individual's experience with CAP, the squadron, the squadron's seniors, and the squadron's cadets over the next 365 days.  The spark that piqued their interest may be remembered, but will be long irrelevant at renewal time at next year.

Unless the naysayers are suggesting that recruiting method A is always superior over method B, and method C will only bring in the "worst sort" to CAP, then with continued all due respect... a speculative comment to next year's retention is irrelevant.  (It would be just as irrelevant if it was a postive speculation, too)

Kudos to your initial success.  Facebook may have brought them to your door, but it will be the quality and camaraderie of your squadron that retains them. 

Commo

CAP has over the past 40 years or so, only kept about 40% of it's new members past the first year. With most of the drop outs leaving in the first 6 months.

NIN

Quote from: stillamarine on August 31, 2017, 02:16:28 AM
Yeah that doesn't always help. I have an ad on a website for internships. It is for an UNPAID internship with my PD. We don't pay, we don't relocate, we don't provide housing. All of these are in the description, heading, all caps. You are required to be enrolled in a course receiving credit. I get multiple applications weekly from people that don't read the requirements.

Sure, but why is it the posting organization or individual's fault that the person can't read the plain text?   (Note: I'm not saying you or your dept.. this gets back to the FB ads thing)

If this works, brings people thru the front door, increases interest, etc, then do it.  As the phrase goes "If its stupid and it works, then its not stupid."  They are clearly identifying volunteers opportunities in a place where people advertise volunteer opportunities (even thought FB calls it "FB Jobs")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBnqxXH5kVY

Majors McCormick & Gerstein talk about using different online tools and opportunities to match interested volunteers to units in a targeted way.  Some of these ideas are a little radical because they're "not how we do it."   We, guess what: We've seen what "business as usual" gets us.  A former commander of mine used to say "If you're doing things the same way you were doing them 20 years ago, chances are you're doing them wrong."

Or "If you keep doing what you always did, you'll keep getting the results you always got."

Naysayers aside, the National Recruiting and Retention Manager thinks this is a great idea.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

BTW, I already met with Capt Jerwa.  She's got a handle on this.  WA Wing's PAO & Recruiting team have their stuff together and a plan to make things happen.

We'll be featuring this going forward to facilitate other wings and units to give it a shot.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on September 01, 2017, 02:01:19 PM
BTW, I already met with Capt Jerwa.  She's got a handle on this.  WA Wing's PAO & Recruiting team have their stuff together and a plan to make things happen.

We'll be featuring this going forward to facilitate other wings and units to give it a shot.

Indeed they do! Capt Jerwa is a serious "force multiplier". I expect to see Eagles on her in the not so distant future.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on September 01, 2017, 03:10:38 PM

Indeed they do! Capt Jerwa is a serious "force multiplier". I expect to see Eagles on her in the not so distant future.

She pending promotion to Major, has LV4 done, and was selected as next Wing CC?

OldGuy

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 01, 2017, 03:32:01 PM
Quote from: donaldfmorgan on September 01, 2017, 03:10:38 PM

She pending promotion to Major, has LV4 done, and was selected as next Wing CC?

Unknown and not within my nine dots. I just recognize the immense talent and motivation. She is a true servant leader. Best in class. After the eagles, then the stars!

[fixed quotes]

Live2Learn

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Update: Facebook "Jobs" Feature a SUCCESS!

See https://www.facebook.com/pg/SpokaneCAP/jobs/1955649024720256/

and https://www.facebook.com/pg/SpokaneCAP/jobs/1491477284268062/

and https://www.facebook.com/pg/SpokaneCAP/jobs/263820430802708/

H/T to WAWG PAO Jessica Jerwa!

Why do we accept and voluntarily gift the intrusive and very comprehensive upload of "personal an private" information to social media (Facebook a primary recipient) while decrying less comprehensive "spying" by NSA and other agencies?  Are Facebook and Zuckerberg... or other social media mogels somehow more 'trustworthy' than NSA or??

NIN

If you prefer not to use Facebook,  don't. 

Don't like the privacy policy,  click "refuse" and don't sign up.

It's that easy.  Civil Air Patrol isn't requiring you to use it.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on September 01, 2017, 06:12:57 PM
It's that easy.  Civil Air Patrol isn't requiring you to use it.

That's not entirely true - more and more lazy PAOs are using only FB for announcements
and after-activity photos and information, forgetting that not everyone uses it, and our youngest
members aren't allowed to.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2017, 06:23:20 PM

That's not entirely true - ....
In fact, it is. Entirely true. No where does Civil Air Patrol force anyone to use social media.

Eclipse

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on September 01, 2017, 06:33:03 PM

In fact, it is. Entirely true. No where does Civil Air Patrol force anyone to use social media.
If the only source of information for a given subject is social commercial media, that is a defacto requirement.

Any unit or activity which >only< has a Facebook site, with no website, is requiring it's members to us commercial media,
and there's lots of those.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2017, 06:50:30 PM

If the only source of information for a given subject is social commercial media, that is a defacto requirement.

Any unit or activity which >only< has a Facebook site, with no website, is requiring it's members to us commercial media,
Nope. Everyone in CAP has this great tool to get squadron information known as the "chain of command." They are reachable by phone.

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2017, 06:50:30 PM

Again not true. There are phones, emails, even old fashioned post cards. No where does Civil Air Patrol require the use of social media. Period.

Eclipse

Reality is a dish best served warm, but you have to actually consume it.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: etodd on August 31, 2017, 09:30:27 PM
Give it maybe 10 more years and there will not be many old naysayers left.  Time for all the young whippersnappers to take hold and run with the ball ....

Looks like its about time in the thread to repeat comment. LOL

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on September 01, 2017, 07:53:49 PM
Quote from: etodd on August 31, 2017, 09:30:27 PM

Looks like its about time in the thread to repeat comment. LOL

And this is how that generally works out on Twitbook:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FuR-7NaGTE

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2017, 08:05:48 PM

And this is how that generally works out on Twitbook:

You made a funny!   ;D

But just confirmed your negative view of the up and coming future leaders of CAP.  :(