Main Menu

new to CAP

Started by dholden, July 11, 2017, 01:16:38 PM

KASSRCrashResearch

No idea what you're going on about, but teaching CPR or counseling families with medical issues has little to do but in the most general sense with
herding cadet cats in a CAP paradigm.

Allow me to highlight something for you since you are struggling with comprehension: You missed the bit about me RUNNING A CADET PROGRAM.  So yeah...I do know how to herd cats and turn them into people who, unlike 95-99% of the CAP cadets I have met, are actually not more of a burden in a real world event than they are a burden.

QuoteIf you don't want to work cadets, so be it, then why did you take the TLC test to start with?

Not to invoke the Nuremberg defense but I was following orders. I think I pointed that out.  Oh yes....here:
QuoteBut this TLC course was one I was pointed in the direction of.

Quoteinsinuate you've got some magic experience where you don't.
The only one saying that I have some sort of "magic experience" is you.  I simply pointed out that I actually have some experience teaching cadets and other teenagers including in a paramilitary/para-emergency services role.  Granted, I never had to teach them how to stand in formation or march but when the hell does that ever come in handy in a practical sense? 

QuoteNo one said you needed to go near cadets, but don't dismiss things you have no idea about or

Pardon me for taking the word of people I've actually met and answer to over the commentary of someone on the internet who is apparently just trying to pick a fight.

My argument is "Let's get this over with".  I don't care how it's done just so long as I never have to do it again.

Now....kindly, drop it.

Quote from: waukwiz on July 14, 2017, 09:39:38 PM
Quote from: dholden on July 11, 2017, 01:16:38 PM
I'm guessing this is friendly place to get answers for all matters CAP not specific to your squadron.
I suppose you've found your answer to this question.

Quote from: zippity on June 12, 2017, 03:25:18 PM
Is someone keeping a spreadsheet on how many prospective members CT has run off over the years?

Hahahahahahaha.  Yeah, the easily frightened who cannot spot a paper tiger when they see one. 

I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

NIN

Dave?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jester

You obviously are the bestest ever, so why not go to TLC, treat it like Eclipse stated, and then grace the rest of us with your fount of knowledge regarding our business? 

etodd

Quote from: dholden on July 11, 2017, 01:16:38 PM
I'm new to CAP.  A buddy convinced me to pal along after tinkering with this for several years.  Looking forward to being of service.  I'm guessing this is friendly place to get answers for all matters CAP not specific to your squadron.

^^^^ The original post in the thread in case anyone wants to get back on track.  >:D
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on July 14, 2017, 10:23:02 PM
Dave?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote from: zippity on June 12, 2017, 03:25:18 PM
Is someone keeping a spreadsheet on how many prospective members CT has run off over the years?

No, but the sheet I built to tally up the "measuring contests" and urinating competitions crashes Excel every time I try to load it.

General comment - If y'all would spend less time finding fault with and bad-mouthing our training, and transfer that effort to finding value with it, or helping improve it, I think we would be a happier lot.

Specific commentary for Crash - If you don't like the training, or find fault with it, what are you doing to help improve it? If TLC seems to be a time waster, and you are in a senior squadron with no desire to associate with cadets, why are you bothering to take it?

I trained as an instructor in the Navy, and take great pleasure in using that skill here in CAP. I teach Communications, SLS, CLC, and anything else that comes up. I give myself a B grade as an instructor. I'm not perfect, but my students seem to like the what and how of my presentations, and usually leave the classroom happy.

The curriculum I have to work with isn't perfect, either, but I work with it, and wring as much benefit out of it as I can. Maybe you should do the same thing at your level.

I'm going to leave this open for the moment, but if it doesn't get back on track in the next few posts, it's gonna get locked.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

KASSRCrashResearch

QuoteSpecific commentary for Crash - If you don't like the training, or find fault with it, what are you doing to help improve it? If TLC seems to be a time waster, and you are in a senior squadron with no desire to associate with cadets, why are you bothering to take it?

Like I said, following orders.  As for improving it...it's hard enough to get practical stuff changed in large organizations.  If I suddenly develop the free time to tilt at windmills, that's not one I would be focusing upon.  It's a hoop to jump through once and to never look back at.

QuoteI give myself a B grade as an instructor. I'm not perfect, but my students seem to like the what and how of my presentations, and usually leave the classroom happy.

About the same way here.  I'm not perfect but I have never had good students complain.  I actually hope to be able to help teach other SMs as I progress. 

My apologies for my part in the derail.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.