Main Menu

CAP Awards

Started by lordmonar, December 15, 2009, 12:11:57 AM

lordmonar

A comment from another thread got me thinking about reworking the CAP award System.

Basically I was thinking about renaming the awards to match USAF/DOD awards.

Such as:

Silver Medal of Valor=CAP Cross
Bronze Medal of Valor=CAP Star
Distinguished Service Award=CAP Distinguished Service Medal
Exceptional Service Award=CAP Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Award=CAP Meritorious Service Medal
Commander's Commendation=CAP Commendation Medal
CAP Achievement Award=CAP Achievement Medal
Commander's Unit Citation=CAP Meritorious Unit Award
Unit Citation=CAP Outstanding Unit Award
Search and Rescure ribbon/Counter Drug ribbon/O-flight ribbon/new HLS ribbon (what ever it will be called)=CAP Aerial Achievement Medal/CAP Ground Team Achievement Medal/CAP Mission Support Achievement Medal (yes trade three medals for three different medals)
Desaster Relief ribbon=CAP Humanitarian Service Medal
Community Service Ribbon=CAP Outstanding Volunteer Medal
Red Service Ribbon=CAP Longevity Ribbon
Lifesaving Award=CAP Airman's Medal

While I am at it.....
For cadets eliminate all the ribbons for each achievements and go with the following
Curry=CAP Cadet Basic Training Ribbon
Wright Brother=CAP Cadet NCO Training Ribbon
Mitchell=CAP Cadet Company Grade Officer Training Ribbon
Earheart=CAP Cadet Field Grade Officer Training Ribbon
Eaker=CAP Cadet Command Officer Training Ribbon
Spaatz=Spaatz Award

On the Senior side:
Membership Award=CAP Basic Training Ribbon
Leadership Award=CAP Professional Development Ribbon (awarded at Level II not specialty track)
Loening, Garber and Wilson awards=denoted as clasps on the CAP Professional Development Ribbon
Yeager=CAP Aerospace Education Award

Eliminate the Crossfield award, Find (change to a device on the appropriate CAP Air/Ground/Support Achievement Award).  Eliminate the AFA, AFSA, VFW, etc awards and change to CAP Outstanding Cadet Award (1 per wing per training phase...no difference in awards).

Keep the IACE, Encampment, CAC, NCSA (combining the NCC and NCG into it as well). Keep the Recruiting Ribbon but combine them into a single ribbon with the same criteria for both senior and cadets.

FLAME ON!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Mike Johnston

lordmonar

Quote from: MIKE on December 15, 2009, 12:48:25 AM
I threw this together a while back: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1695.msg26806#msg26806

I like what you did....but I was trying not to add too many new awards....but I have no problem adding those as well if there is really a need for them.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 12:11:57 AM
Eliminate the Crossfield award, Find (change to a device on the appropriate CAP Air/Ground/Support Achievement Award).  Eliminate the AFA, AFSA, VFW, etc awards and change to CAP Outstanding Cadet Award (1 per wing per training phase...no difference in awards).

What's a "training phase?"

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 12:11:57 AMBasically I was thinking about renaming the awards to match USAF/DOD awards.

Such as:

Silver Medal of Valor=CAP Cross
Bronze Medal of Valor=CAP Star
Distinguished Service Award=CAP Distinguished Service Medal
Exceptional Service Award=CAP Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Award=CAP Meritorious Service Medal
Commander's Commendation=CAP Commendation Medal
CAP Achievement Award=CAP Achievement Medal
Commander's Unit Citation=CAP Meritorious Unit Award
Unit Citation=CAP Outstanding Unit Award
Search and Rescure ribbon/Counter Drug ribbon/O-flight ribbon/new HLS ribbon (what ever it will be called)=CAP Aerial Achievement Medal/CAP Ground Team Achievement Medal/CAP Mission Support Achievement Medal (yes trade three medals for three different medals)
Desaster Relief ribbon=CAP Humanitarian Service Medal
Red Service Ribbon=CAP Longevity Ribbon
Lifesaving Award=CAP Airman's Medal
I don't really see the point of renaming them. I can see reducing a few of them. That's an action for the sake of an action. No real point, there's no problem being solved.

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 12:11:57 AMWhile I am at it.....
For cadets eliminate all the ribbons for each achievements and go with the following
Spaatz=Spaatz Award
I think it's a good idea, but I'd add a cadet "Senior NCO" ribbon. It'd be a long haul from one stripe to the officer ranks. But I'm not a cadet, so I can't really speak for it.

Loening, Garber and Wilson awards=denoted as clasps on the CAP Professional Development Ribbon
I would support this in a heartbeat. Too many ribbons for something that should be a continuation of training, not as separate actions.

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 12:11:57 AMEliminate the AFA, AFSA, VFW, etc awards and change to CAP Outstanding Cadet Award.
Those are awarded by organizations separate from CAP. I don't think it's a good idea to eliminate outside awards and replace them with one of our own. Some of those organizations may take it as a snub.

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 12:11:57 AMKeep the IACE, Encampment, CAC, NCSA (combining the NCC and NCG into it as well).
I can see making one ribbon out of these. Something like a "Special Activities" ribbon. One ribbon, add devices for additional activities.

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 12:11:57 AMKeep the Recruiting Ribbon but combine them into a single ribbon with the same criteria for both senior and cadets.
Agreed. No real reason to have dual standards or separate awards.

WheelsUp

I still think those of us who deployed overseas in the military should be allowed to wear our right-shoulder "combat patch" on our CAP uniform. My BDU's just don't feel "right" without it.
ES Training Officer/Mission Scanner

Hawk200

Quote from: WheelsUp on December 15, 2009, 02:53:14 AM
  I still think those of us who deployed overseas in the military should be allowed to wear our right-shoulder "combat patch" on our CAP uniform. My BDU's just don't feel "right" without it.

I've got combat patches myself, but I don't think they belong on a CAP uniform.

Besides, you've got a flag on that side, it should feel fine. What should feel strange is not having a patch on the left.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 15, 2009, 01:25:53 AM

I thought you were a CP guy?

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 15, 2009, 02:38:59 AMThose are awarded by organizations separate from CAP. I don't think it's a good idea to eliminate outside awards and replace them with one of our own. Some of those organizations may take it as a snub.

Then stick them on the bottom like ROTC ribbons.

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 03:12:04 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 15, 2009, 02:38:59 AMThose are awarded by organizations separate from CAP. I don't think it's a good idea to eliminate outside awards and replace them with one of our own. Some of those organizations may take it as a snub.

Then stick them on the bottom like ROTC ribbons.
Works for me.

lordmonar

Let's keep this about CAP ribbons and not open it up to military awards and what not.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 15, 2009, 03:09:59 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 15, 2009, 01:25:53 AM

I thought you were a CP guy?

I thought you were using it in a different way - disregard.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

I like the idea because it doesn't involve changing our current ribbons, making very few things obsolete, combining truly redundant or superfolous items (two recruiter ribbons, NCGC and NDC), and makes our awards structure obvious to those in big brother blue.  In other words, they'll (and a lot of other people will) understand what a "CAP Longevity Ribbon" is for versus what "Red Service" is supposed to mean.  For the majority of awards, it simply means just starting to call them something different.  No new ribbons, no big reg changes, very little cost to members, and able to be phased in gradually over time.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PHall

That is a ARMY practice, the Air Force does not do that. And since we are the sometimes Auxiliary of the Air Force, we usually follow the Air Force practices.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on December 15, 2009, 05:12:27 AM

That is a ARMY practice, the Air Force does not do that. And since we are the sometimes Auxiliary of the Air Force, we usually follow the Air Force practices.

That, and the Air Force no longer practices the wearing of Army patches on Air Force uniforms.

arajca

Basically I was thinking
Bad habit. Shame on you!  ;D

You're actually trading four for three.

Not sure about this one. Sounds like a completely different award. Community Serivce = hours of service to the community. More than one per unit per year. Outstanding Volunteer Medal = only one outstanding volunteer. If you change the requirements, what happens to those who already have the Community Service ribbon?

QuoteWhile I am at it.....
Spaatz=Spaatz Award

On the Senior side:
Membership Award=CAP Basic Training Ribbon
Leadership Award=CAP Professional Development Ribbon (awarded at Level II not specialty track)
Yeager=CAP Aerospace Education Award
I'd keep the Wilson as a separate award since it is the capstone. What about the Benjamin O. Davis award?

QuoteKeep the Recruiting Ribbon but combine them into a single ribbon with the same criteria for both senior and cadets.
Perhaps first at 2 recruits, second at 5 (three more), then every 5 afterward?

SarDragon

QuoteI don't really see the point of renaming them. I can see reducing a fewof them. That's an action for the sake of an action. No real point,there's no problem being solved.

+1
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

Good idea! I have long thought that the CAP has too many meaningless ribbons and there isn't enough prestige in the major awards. They are basically just another ribbon and certificates. A presentation medal would give the awards system a little more meaning. Here's another idea, why not limit the senior member professional development ribbons to one -- the highest earned. It would eliminate a lot of uniform clutter.

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on December 15, 2009, 06:12:48 AM
Not sure about this one. Sounds like a completely different award. Community Serivce = hours of service to the community. More than one per unit per year. Outstanding Volunteer Medal = only one outstanding volunteer. If you change the requirements, what happens to those who already have the Community Service ribbon?

You are right....that should be CAP Oustanding Volunteer Service Medal to match the Military Oustanding Volunteer Service Medal.

QuoteI'd keep the Wilson as a separate award since it is the capstone. What about the Benjamin O. Davis award?

I'll buy keeping the Wilson....the Davis Award does not currently have a medal to go with it. 

QuoteKeep the Recruiting Ribbon but combine them into a single ribbon with the same criteria for both senior and cadets.
Perhaps first at 2 recruits, second at 5 (three more), then every 5 afterward?
I don't understand the sliding rule on this sort of thing.  If recruiting 2 people is a good thing....then let's reward for every two.  It is like the credit card company giving you one year at 5% then slamming you with 25% instrest later.  Six of one half dozen of the other.  If the hang up is that you start getting too many pips and ribbons for recruiting....we can always just change the system to use number instead.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 15, 2009, 06:49:13 AMA presentation medal would give the awards system a little more meaning.

I agree, but who pays for them?

I just blew through $100 on frames and ribbons for this years round of holiday party decs.  Add the medals in there and that's probably +50% again.

"That Others May Zoom"