Main Menu

What's the diff?

Started by MSgt Van, May 15, 2009, 05:40:24 PM

MSgt Van

Ok, I give up...
What's the difference between the utility uniform and the dark blue flight suit? Other than not being Nomex I can't see a difference.
What am I missing here?

arajca

Nothing, besides the cost.

Eclipse

One's Nomex®, ones not.

With the flight suit you wear the regular flight cap, with the utility no cover is required.

One is ~$185, one is ~$35.

That's it - insignia, grade, nametag, cut, pockets, etc., are all the same.

The only reason I could see why anyone would spend the big buckos for the Nomex® would be in states that require Nomex® for aircrews.

Otherwise, my personal experience has been that the Nomex is a richer blue and tends to hold the color better when cleaned properly, but I'd rather have 4-6 jumpsuits than one flightsuit.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

And even then, you can't really tell the difference except for some minor changes. The utility uniform (buy the Tru-Spec, not the cheap crap from Rothco, which is what Vanguard and Hock sells) design is a mix between the current flight suit and the short-lived McPeak flight suit with no utility knife or upper thigh pockets, but adds a penlight pocket on the lower right leg pocket and 'happy pockets' on the sides - which is great for allowing you to adjust your undershirt.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

The one I have from VG is identical in pockets to my light blue Nomex® flight suit,including the knife pocket, except it didn't have a flap over the pen pockets.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 06:59:42 PM
The one I have from VG is identical in pockets to my light blue Nomex® flight suit,including the knife pocket, except it didn't have a flap over the pen pockets.

That's gotta be the Rothco one - they use nylon zippers; the Tru-Spec uses metal zippers.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 15, 2009, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 15, 2009, 06:59:42 PM

That's gotta be the Rothco one - they use nylon zippers; the Tru-Spec uses metal zippers.

I'm sure it is.  I have to look into the other one - the one I have is great, but I had to move the Velcro®, and its thin as tissue (one reason, actually, I like it).

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 15, 2009, 06:48:33 PM
which is great for allowing you to adjust your undershirt.
+1
exactly what I use them for.

dbarbee

Thanks for the information on the Tru-Spec coveralls, I'm going to look into getting some.

I bought the Vanguard coveralls and didn't mind the thinner material because I thought it'd be an advantage on hot summer days.  However, The first mission I wore them on the left breast pocket zipper broke. (Tab goes back and forth, but zipper teeth don't stay together)

Anyone had any success getting a zipper fixed on a flight suit without spending more than the flight suit's worth?
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region