Whatever Happened to the Plain Blue Suit?

Started by Eclipse, July 22, 2008, 11:39:06 PM

Eclipse

An interesting article I stumbled upon this afternoon.
(I used the search but didn't find it posted here before)

http://www.afa.org/magazine/July2006/0706bluesuit.asp

"When the Air Force opened shop as a service separate from the Army in 1947, USAF leaders wanted the airmen to wear a "plain blue suit," unadorned except for rank insignia, award ribbons, and aviation badges. Things haven't exactly worked out that way..."

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

In actuality, the Air Force has  changed it's uniforms just about every 5-7 years.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2008, 11:39:06 PM

"When the Air Force opened shop as a service separate from the Army in 1947, USAF leaders wanted the airmen to wear a "plain blue suit," unadorned except for rank insignia, award ribbons, and aviation badges. Things haven't exactly worked out that way..."
This is a bit of an oldie.  I read it from time to time.  In the end the more traditional uniform triumphed...until McPeak.  Then the real feelings about the "plain blue suit" were expressed.  Thus, the HERITAGE JACKET!!!!  I think that uniform will be scaled down until a more modern version of the 50s-90s uniform (minus the IKE of the early part of that) is restored.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 23, 2008, 01:07:07 AM...(minus the IKE of the early part of that) ....

I always kinda liked the Ike jacket concept. An outergarment, but a bit more relaxed than the service coat. Plus, you could wear decs and badges on it.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 23, 2008, 01:16:19 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 23, 2008, 01:07:07 AM...(minus the IKE of the early part of that) ....

I always kinda liked the Ike jacket concept. An outergarment, but a bit more relaxed than the service coat. Plus, you could wear decs and badges on it.

You know,  if the CAP wanted to save members a lot of money, adopting the light weight blue jacket with dec and badges in lieu of the sevice coat would not look all that bad.  This would be a modern Ike Jacket from an already existing uniform item, make it distinctive enough and still be a USAF style uniform.   (oh, and this is merely a thought...not a proposal.  We are still allowed free thought, after all)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 23, 2008, 01:29:58 AMYou know,  if the CAP wanted to save members a lot of money, adopting the light weight blue jacket with dec and badges in lieu of the sevice coat would not look all that bad.  This would be a modern Ike Jacket from an already existing uniform item, make it distinctive enough and still be a USAF style uniform.   (oh, and this is merely a thought...not a proposal.  We are still allowed free thought, after all)

Agreed on free thought. But decs and badges on a windbreaker? It's just not the right style. Even the current service coat just never looked right with that stuff on it. Still looked like the suit coat it was.

Naw, ribbons and decs look best on a jacket that is obviuosly military. The Ike jacket was such a an animal, even if it did look a bit on the odd side. There wasn't, and isn't anything similar to it today that isn't military derived. It was sharp and unique.

MIKE

War Service Dress

Putting ribbons and junk on something does defeat the "plain blue suit" though.

Pentagon Battle Dress is the [mess].  ;D
Mike Johnston

stratoflyer

This is the place for free thought! Hooah!

I just thought that the Billy Mitchell heritage uniform was a real eye-catcher, but not really reflecting the Air Force attitude (what I perceive to be the AF attitude).

Obviously there was those who were upset...

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: stratoflyer on July 23, 2008, 04:11:13 AM
This is the place for free thought! Hooah!

I just thought that the Billy Mitchell heritage uniform was a real eye-catcher, but not really reflecting the Air Force attitude (what I perceive to be the AF attitude).

Obviously there was those who were upset...

Honestly, I really liked this uniform concept. Not so much for an everyday wear type thing, but as a formal attire thing. Kind of a blue version of the Navy choker whites.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

stratoflyer

Yeah, at first sight it looks cool...but the Hap Arnold to me seems more balanced...this seemed just too uptight. The female version just doesn't look right. Back in Mitchell's day, not a whole lot of women were wearing this thing...
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

O-Rex

High-collared jackets are not something you want to spend all day in: ask any Marine or Navy Officer.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2008, 11:39:06 PM

I don't know...that is pretty much what we have had for the last 20 years....90% of the AF do not wear the special duty badges and with the exception of the US and US circles and name tag (and a student leader shoulder cord back in tech school) rank, ribbons and duty badges is all that I have worn on my blues.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP