Cloth insignia for flight suit

Started by biomed441, March 05, 2019, 05:37:01 PM

biomed441

I know this was discussed in other threads at some point many years ago... Possibly more recent though my forum search skills are lacking as of late.

Has there been any new words, rumors, discussion from the powers above regarding moving forward with allowing cloth grade on the flight suits?  I haven't worn one in years. Decided to pull it out again and discovered it still has my 1st Lt bars sewn to it.  Been a Maj for almost 4 years now. Took it in to have my local tailor swap out. She won't do it any more. Too much of a hassle and she cursed at me once for breaking a few needles on the Lt bars.  Soppose I could just take a nail to it and punch holes in them. But that's a lot of effort when I could just throw the polo on and call it good.

Also curious if cloth name badges have been re-considered. I feel like I read somewhere that a proposal was made but got shot down? 

GaryVC

This is something I would strongly support. We should use the already available cloth rank insignia created for the ABUs. I wore cloth rank on my flight suits the entire time I was in the Air Force (1970s and 1980s) and it worked well.

Eclipse

Cloth insignia is already authorized on both versions of the blue flight suit.

This and the nametag have been discussed, rumored, and new words have been made up.

No announced changes.

I never had issues with a consumer sewing machine, nor broke a needle, but you
have to take your time.  Interesting your tailor doesn't want to do it with (presumably)
a commercial machine.

If she can sew leather, she should be able to sew plastic.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2019, 05:55:44 PM
Cloth insignia is already authorized on both versions of the blue flight suit.

Both versions?  I only see one, unless you are referring to both the Nomex & cloth outfits that actually look the same.

Or is this like the dark blue windbreaker that is specifically authorized despite the fact it doesn't exist?

Eclipse

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on March 05, 2019, 08:04:10 PMBoth versions?  I only see one, unless you are referring to both the Nomex & cloth outfits that actually look the same.

Correct, both versions are now considered CFDUs configured the same and subject to the
same wear restrictions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Briank

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2019, 05:55:44 PM
I never had issues with a consumer sewing machine, nor broke a needle, but you
have to take your time.  Interesting your tailor doesn't want to do it with (presumably)
a commercial machine.

If she can sew leather, she should be able to sew plastic.

Yeah, that's very odd.  I've sewn a few of them myself on a consumer grade machine (but with quality needles) and no issue whatsoever. 

Jester

I think it was rumored to be a part of the next 39-1 that was supposed to be out Q4 of 2018.

SarDragon

Quote from: Jester on March 06, 2019, 01:05:27 AM
I think it was rumored to be a part of the next 39-1 that was supposed to be out Q4 of 2018.

It wasn't mentioned at the uniform presentation at last yer's National Conference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on March 06, 2019, 02:10:55 AM

It wasn't mentioned at the uniform presentation at last yer's year's National Conference.

FTFY   >:D

Mitchell 1969

Does anyone know the actual reason for insisting on plastic vs cloth in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

jeders

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 06, 2019, 11:46:25 AM
Does anyone know the actual reason for insisting on plastic vs cloth in the first place?

Because once upon a time that's what the air force wore, just like ultramarine blue name tapes. Just like the name tapes, this is something that should have been updated long ago.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PHall

Quote from: jeders on March 06, 2019, 04:04:26 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 06, 2019, 11:46:25 AM

Because once upon a time that's what the air force wore, just like ultramarine blue name tapes. Just like the name tapes, this is something that should have been updated long ago.

The "real" reason is that it makes us "visually different" from the Air Force thus complying with the requirement in AFI 10-2701.
The entire Air Force has now standardized on the subdued cloth grade insignia on their flight suits.
So CAP could ask to wear the dark blue cloth grade insignia on their flight suits and it would meet the requirements in AFI 10-2701.
And be a LOT easier to sew too!

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on March 06, 2019, 06:54:02 PM
The "real" reason is that it makes us "visually different" from the Air Force thus complying with the requirement in AFI 10-2701.
The entire Air Force has now standardized on the subdued cloth grade insignia on their flight suits.
So CAP could ask to wear the dark blue cloth grade insignia on their flight suits and it would meet the requirements in AFI 10-2701.
And be a LOT easier to sew too!

:clap:The software for this site needs to be updated so like reddit we can upvote posts like this. :clap:

I have a Singer 4423 and it handles plastic encased insignia just fine.   I just had to change all of mine.

Occasionally have problems with thread, but I use really cheap stuff.

wacapgh

Quote from: SarDragon on March 06, 2019, 02:10:55 AM

It wasn't mentioned at the uniform presentation at last yer's National Conference.

"... to be released Q1 FY19. So I've got till the end of December!"

Seemed like plenty of time back in August  ;D

SarDragon

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on March 06, 2019, 07:58:30 PM
:clap:The software for this site needs to be updated so like reddit we can upvote posts like this. :clap:

I have a Singer 4423 and it handles plastic encased insignia just fine.   I just had to change all of mine.

Occasionally have problems with thread, but I use really cheap stuff.

That feature is available, but has been disabled, due to previous abuse.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret