Main Menu

Another question

Started by Tactics, February 23, 2019, 09:04:56 AM

Tactics

What's the first sergeant diamond for? Not the ones in the MSgt, SMSgt, Or CMSgt, I mean the one that's juts plain. I've seen this allot and asked allot of people and now I turn to CapTalk.

JayT

Until a few years ago, there was no grade suggestion for the First Sergeant position. Thats what those diamonds were for.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

coudano

It was a little while ago yet, but there didn't used to be C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt ranks at all,
and C/MSgt was all six stripes down (no rocker above)

So the diamond was pinned separately, above the shield, for first sergeants bitd.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: coudano on February 23, 2019, 01:58:39 PM
It was a little while ago yet, but there didn't use to be C/SMSgt and C/CMSgt ranks at all,
and C/MSgt was all six stripes down (no rocker above)

So the diamond was pinned separately, above the shield, for first sergeants bit.

Was it pinned on the epaulets when wearing the blues uniform?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Adam B

It went right above the insignia for SSgt, TSgt and old MSgt.
Imagine if you had a modern FirstSgt insignia with the diamond in the middle, then just removed the to top stripes.

I don't think cadet NCOS ever wore their insignia on their epaulets in blues, at least not in the past two decades.
Adam

Adam B

This imagine from Google can give you something of an idea:
Adam

NIN

Some place in my picture stash, I have a photo from a unit's recruiting open house where another cadet from another squadron visited, and he was that unit's "First Senior Airman".

I would not have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. And I took a picture just so people would believe me. I will find it
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: NIN on February 25, 2019, 01:19:44 PM
Some place in my picture stash, I have a photo from a unit's recruiting open house where another cadet from another squadron visited, and he was that unit's "First Senior Airman".

I would not have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. And I took a picture just so people would believe me. I will find it

I recall seeing a cadet from a unit once at an activity that was also a C/SrA appointed First Sergeant with the lozenge. That comes from a culture of "But we need a First Sergeant...and he's worked so hard..."

Eclipse

I know of units that have had C/SrA's as C/CC's, because "they are the oldest".
Probably some with C/Amn at some point.

These situations usually end as well as you'd expect.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

OK, first - WOW.

I couldn't find a decent photo, but I'm guessing NIN has some of these as well.

BITD Cadet NCO grade insignia were USAF grade pins with the CAP prop and shield glued on top of the
USAF star, so an etsy kit of the diamond for first shirt isn't all that unusual in that paradigm.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on February 25, 2019, 11:56:37 PM
Quote from: NIN on February 25, 2019, 08:05:44 PM
Found it!!

First Airman? >:D  Cool!

Not even worn right.  I'd put it up there with the C/CMSgt wearing a star and campaign hat...

Adam B

Goodness, the diamond isn't even right.
Adam

MSG Mac

Years ago (up to at least the 70's or 80's)Air Force First Sergeant was a career field, not a position and you could've appointed as early as SSgt.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 26, 2019, 03:25:38 AM
Years ago (up to at least the 70's or 80's)Air Force First Sergeant was a career field, not a position and you could've appointed as early as SSgt.

Has been for forever and a day I have never seen an AF SSgt as a First Sergeant.  Everyone I have seen has been a MSgt or above..

jhighman

WIWAC in a composite squadron in 1990, we had a cadet airman first class rocking the diamond. I'm not really sure why, but we did.  These were the days when cadet master sergeant was the highest cadet NCO grade so perhaps a minimum wasn't as emphasized. He was 14 or 15 if I recall and was a hard charger who took the job seriously but was basically made into an administrative assistant for the cadet commander.

Odd times.

Jester

Enlisted history hijack:

Did the SNCO as first sergeant thing come as a result of the E8 and E9 grades being established?

SarDragon

Quote from: Jester on February 26, 2019, 04:47:47 AM
Enlisted history hijack:

Did the SNCO as first sergeant thing come as a result of the E8 and E9 grades being established?

Not sure, but there were First Sergeants in the cadet ranks prior to the introduction of C/SMgt and C/CMsgt.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Quote from: Jester on February 26, 2019, 04:47:47 AM
Enlisted history hijack:

The distinct diamond insignia was established in thr 50's and at the time only a MSgt could be 1st Sgt.  The first SMSgt 1st Sgt was promoted in 1958.