What should I do with my BDU's

Started by LATORRECA, June 26, 2016, 08:58:01 PM

LATORRECA

Any idea on what to do with the BDU's. I have two sets (top, bottom, cover), one tricolor parka (gortex), one filed jacket plus all the extra ranks and badges for them. If they keep up changing the uniforms, it will take a toll on my pockets.
  Any suggestion or any one interested.

THRAWN

Go corporate and you dont have to keep walking around in circles with the mil unis...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

DakRadz

Wear them for 4 years and 6 months, then sell them to milsim/paintball/latest game of the style junkies for a small ROI.

I mean, 5 years minimum (unless someone buys BDUs from henceforth, which is fine but they shouldn't complain) is at least a decent usage from these things. If you don't use what you own, then why own it? I know I'll be using my parka this winter, and when I have the coin for ABUs I'll switch. But we do have 5 years.

LATORRECA

I been using them for 10 years however, it will be hard to do it upon going to the new unit on August, cause I'm pretty sure the cadets and the seniors already have the ABU's.

Ozzy

Don't worry about it.  I very much doubt you'll be seeing many others with ABUs in the coming months. From what I've seen this weekend (A CTWG Encampment meeting and a NY ES training class), quite a bit of members were surprised at the ABUs, not realizing they were authorized. I'm only wearing them since I had to buy a field uniform and ABUs weren't that much more for me (~$65 new BDU VS ~$70 ABU). After wearing ACUs in the field for years, I might actually go buy myself a gently used pair for field work in CAP as ABUs will inevitably get permanently stained from use.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

DakRadz

ADDED: Ozzy is less blunt and probably more accurate.

They cannot force you to change. If they pressure you, and don't provide them for free, you probably don't want to be in that unit.

A comparison: Just because most of the officers at my unit wear polo shirts does NOT mean I plan on even buying one. I will wear the appropriate category of uniform for the meeting day, but that is dependent on what I want to buy, within regulation.
I have BDUs, and I am waiting on Big V to send my dark blue patches so I will wear those when my rejoin processes. There are a few in the unit racing to be first in ABUs- great! I just won't be one of them, same cost issue.

Eclipse

Quote from: DakRadz on June 26, 2016, 09:08:31 PM
Wear them for 4 years and 6 months...

Wear them.

CAP is 11 days into approval and some already believe they are mandatory. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: LATORRECA on June 26, 2016, 08:58:01 PM
   Any idea on what to do with the BDU's. I have two sets (top, bottom, cover), one tricolor parka (gortex), one filed jacket plus all the extra ranks and badges for them. If they keep up changing the uniforms, it will take a toll on my pockets.

Wear them until they are threadbare.  What's the rush?  There's going to be a mix in the ranks for a couple of years.

I have told my cadets that I will wear my BDU's until we are able to provide ABU's to everyone.  I have discouraged cadets and their parents from purchasing ABU's at full retail while we have a good supply of BDU's.   Today, I advised my cadets that we will not provide tapes, patches, or insignia for ABU's if we have already provided the same for a set of issued BDU's.

I prefer the BDU's, especially with the blue tapes.

LATORRECA

I guess I wear them for the next 3 years. I just arrive to Stuttgart so they haven't done the change except the new cadets. Let's see. Thanks old timers.

Eclipse

Quote from: LATORRECA on June 27, 2016, 08:39:03 PM
   I guess I wear them for the next 3 years.

5 years - phase out is June 2021

Quote from: LATORRECA on June 27, 2016, 08:39:03 PM
I just arrive to Stuttgart so they haven't done the change except the new cadets. Let's see. Thanks old timers.

It's an overseas squadron and new cadets are already wearing ABUs 12 days into approval?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: LATORRECA on June 26, 2016, 08:58:01 PM

Old uniforms make for great work clothes when you don't want to get grease, grime, dirt, etc. on your "nice" clothes.

And that isn't even counting the dead horse of the 5 year sunset.

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on June 27, 2016, 09:12:48 PM
Old uniforms make for great work clothes when you don't want to get grease, grime, dirt, etc. on your "nice" clothes.

If you're going to do that, take the insignia off.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Folks, don't overthink this. Wear the BDUs until the wear out date or they are unserviceable which ever occurs first.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PA Guy on June 27, 2016, 10:12:07 PM
Folks, don't overthink this. Wear the BDUs until the wear out date or they are unserviceable which ever occurs first.

So much this.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

stitchmom

Since BDUs are still OK can you give them to other cadets?  If that isn't practical I would find some other stuff to donate and schedule a date with Sally! :D https://satruck.org/ 

kwe1009

Quote from: stitchmom on June 28, 2016, 03:28:05 AM
Since BDUs are still OK can you give them to other cadets?  If that isn't practical I would find some other stuff to donate and schedule a date with Sally! :D https://satruck.org/

It is absolutely OK to give BDUs to cadets.  Five years is a very long phase in period and most of the current cadets will either outgrow their current uniform or leave the program before BDUs are unauthorized.

Chappie

I'll continue to wear them until I get a set of ABUS.   Then my wife will use part of the BDUs in a lap blanket for me -- which will include backs of old black event t-shirts.   I'll have my own CAP-Lap blankie  (not sold or available from Vanguard)...and please don't turn this into yet another uniform thread -- never mind, it already is!!!  ;D ;D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)