What to wear to Group Ball - Don't have Blues

Started by xray328, December 07, 2015, 08:00:16 PM

xray328

Hey guys, the group ball is coming up and my uniforms are limited to the polo combo and the white aviator.  Is the white aviator combo really appropriate for this?  What are my options?

AlphaSigOU

You can wear the long sleeve white shirt with AF blue tie, the aviator white/gray combination with dark blue blazer (optional: wear the blue/red 'regimental' tie) or for more formal occasions the blazer combination with a black bow tie. Name tag is not worn with the semi-formal combination, but you are allowed to wear one miniature medal.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Storm Chaser

It depends on the event. If service dress is the uniform for the event, then a civilian business suit would be appropriate. If it's a black tie event (mess dress), then a tuxedo could be worn. The blazer combination described above is also a good option.

Chappie

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 07, 2015, 08:06:57 PM
You can wear the long sleeve white shirt with AF blue tie, the aviator white/gray combination with dark blue blazer (optional: wear the blue/red 'regimental' tie) or for more formal occasions the blazer combination with a black bow tie. Name tag is not worn with the semi-formal combination, but you are allowed to wear one miniature medal.

^^  The embroidered crest needs to be on the blazer.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Capt Thompson

A ball is usually semi formal, I would go with the blazer/bow tie. You already have the aviator/grey slacks, the blazer is at VG for $67, probably cheaper than a tux rental. Add the embroidered crest and a miniature medal and a bow tie and you're set.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-uniform-blue-blazer-male?variant=3734896388
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

winterg

$67 for a blazer is highway robbery.  I see a dozen at Salvation Army every time I go for $5.  I got mine on eBay for under $10 with shipping. 

SarDragon

Quote from: winterg on December 08, 2015, 04:37:43 PM
$67 for a blazer is highway robbery.  I see a dozen at Salvation Army every time I go for $5.  I got mine on eBay for under $10 with shipping.
It's called new vs. Used. I bought my current blazer at JCP, and it was more than $70. My olde one, a Haggar from the Exchange, was about $55, back in '02.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

winterg

Hey, if folk can afford a $70 blazer, more power to them. But I'm still paying off my undergrad degree! Lol

A.Member

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on December 08, 2015, 01:03:29 AM
A ball is usually semi formal...
Not in my experience.  A military(-style) ball is a formal event.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 07, 2015, 08:07:47 PM
It depends on the event. If service dress is the uniform for the event, then a civilian business suit would be appropriate. If it's a black tie event (mess dress), then a tuxedo could be worn. The blazer combination described above is also a good option.
This.  If unsure, check with the organizers as to the dress code and plan to dress accordingly.

http://www.military.com/spouse/military-life/newbies-and-brides/military-ball-etiquette.html
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I know of retired military personnel who wear their military uniform to the ball. 

SarDragon

Quote from: Devil Dog on December 08, 2015, 10:19:42 PM
I know of retired military personnel who wear their military uniform to the ball.

If it still fits.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Quote from: SarDragon on December 08, 2015, 10:28:11 PM
Quote from: Devil Dog on December 08, 2015, 10:19:42 PM

If it still fits.  >:D

Right you are!!!  LOL

LSThiker

Quote from: winterg on December 08, 2015, 04:37:43 PM

Not exactly highway robbery.  After all, for a blazer to show up at a Salvation Army or on eBay (generally), someone had to buy it new to begin with.

Quote from: xray328 on December 07, 2015, 08:00:16 PM
Hey guys, the group ball is coming up and my uniforms are limited to the polo combo and the white aviator.  Is the white aviator combo really appropriate for this?  What are my options?

Your options are to get a blazer and the crest and boom you have the semi-formal corporate uniform.