What is ____? Uniforms for new cadets

Started by cadetith, August 26, 2014, 04:02:04 PM

cadetith

What are these uniforms? I'm fairly new, and still don't have a uniform! what should I wear?
- Work Uniform
- Service Dress ( Class B)
- PT
(And are service Dress and Service Uniform the same thing?)
Molly Ith
Basic Airman
South Sound Composite Squadron

vento

CAPM 39-1 is your friend.
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf

As to what you should wear, you will need to ask your chain of command. They will usually tell you during a call down.

Storm Chaser

The short-sleeve, blue Air Force-style service uniform (Class B) is the minimum basic uniform that you need to have as a cadet. Your first set can be order for free in  eServices, but sometimes it can take a long time to arrive. The Service Dress Uniform (Class A) is the service uniform (short or long sleeves) with the AF-tie (tie tab for females) and service coat.

The woodland camouflage Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) is the field/utility uniform you're authorize to wear. Some units issue them used, if they have any in inventory. Otherwise, you would need to get it on your own. Military surplus stores are a good sources and sometime have them for a reasonable price. You can also buy them at http://www.vanguardmil.com or other online stores, but they'll cost much more.

The corporate working uniform (blue Polo shirt and gray pants) is only authorized for senior members. CAP doesn't have an official physical fitness (PT) uniform (yet), so it's really up to your wing or unit to determine what that is and where you can wear it.

catrulz

When our unit doesn't have BDU's in stock, we refer members to BDU.com (now Tacticalgear.com).

http://tacticalgear.com/bdus?gclid=CNvqu8zLscACFQQQ7AodumcAbA

BDU Cap at BDU.com is $4.99  versus 11.99 at Vangaurd
BDU Trousers/jacket is $24.99-29.99 versus $32.00

They have free shipping for orders over $99.00.

wacapgh

Quote from: cadetith on August 26, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
What are these uniforms? I'm fairly new, and still don't have a uniform! what should I wear?
- Work Uniform
- PT

If you can't get any BDU's for free, get on I-5 and head East for about 20 minutes. The Foxhole in Tillicum has Propper brand on the shelf and you can try them on to get the correct size.

For new Class B (if you don't want to wait an unknown time for the Free Uniform to arrive), go two more exits further and MCSS is at McChord Field (inside the main exchange). New Shirts are $13 -$15, etc.

Your best course of action is to ask your Element Leader or Flight Sergeant (the "Chain of Command" you are hearing about). It's part of their process of learning how to be better leaders by assisting new members.

Garibaldi

Let's not dogpile the poor girl. I won't go into the chain of command thing here (and no, it's not the chain we use to beat you until you realize who is in command...Firefly reference, sorry).

There are many outlets for obtaining a uniform, or uniforms. Have you checked into the FCU (free cadet uniform)? National will send you a complete short-sleeve blues uniform, minus the shoes and accessories like the hat device and nameplate. Or socks/hose. You can ask your unit leadership about how to go about getting one that way, but it takes time.

BDUs can be obtained most anywhere, from surplus shops to online stores. I've even seen them at pawn shops that cater to the hunting crowd. Ebay is also a good source. I found a pair of black Magnum boots, brand new, for $49.99, free shipping. PM me and I'll give you details on that.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

cadetith

Thanks guys, but I'm looking for what to wear when I DON'T have a uniform...
Molly Ith
Basic Airman
South Sound Composite Squadron

MIKE

1. Squadron specific new cadet (non) uniform.
2.  Appropriate civilian attire.
Mike Johnston

Storm Chaser

Quote from: cadetith on August 26, 2014, 10:11:30 PM
Thanks guys, but I'm looking for what to wear when I DON'T have a uniform...

In that case, you really need to check with your unit. There's no official CAP non-uniform wear and each unit can determine what their new recruits wear. I know some squadrons required black t-shirt and jeans. Others may have a unit t-shirt. Only your unit can answer this question.

That said, you did asked about specific uniforms.

Quote from: cadetith on August 26, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
- Work Uniform
- PT

And you hopefully got an answer. ;)

Garibaldi

General rule of thumb regarding what to wear:

BDU night: jeans or nice shorts/skirt and a nice shirt. No holes.
Blues night: Sunday best, preferably black pants/skirt and a white blouse.
PT: Unless your unit has specific colors worn by the flight(s), wear blue or black shorts and a PLAIN t-shirt, any color.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things