Main Menu

PT Uniform

Started by CadetProgramGuy, March 25, 2007, 09:01:38 PM

CadetProgramGuy

I know, I know, I know....

Not another Uniform thread talking about uniform changes....

But think about it, CAP has a uniform for everything except PT.

My 39-1 would read the following....

PT Uniform.

1) Black or Dark Blue Shorts
2) Squadron t-shirt
3) White Socks
4) Running shoes in good working condition

In thecase of Incliment weather, Dark Blue or Black Sweats can be worn over the PT Uniform.

Those Cadets who have acheived the Predidential Fitness Award are allowed to wear the Presidential Fitness T-Shirt (Red or Blue) with the Patch designating highest fitness level.

Thoughts?

RiverAux

Quote2) Squadron t-shirt
I don't think that most squadrons have t-shirts.

CadetProgramGuy

Ok I am flexable....

Black t-shiirt (same as for our BDU's)

LtCol White

It would be nice to see a PT uniform developed similar to the new reflective USAF PT uniform that all members - SR and Cadet could wear.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

arajca

The NCAC proposed an official CAP PT uniform a few years ago. The NB voted it down.

CadetProgramGuy

Do you know why it was voted down?

It seems to me that NHQ is willing to change any and all uniforms willy nilly, but will not make a move for a simple PT uniform?

CadetProgramGuy

My reason for wanting this uniform in place are actually quite simple.

1.  Little to no cost to impliment.
2. Creates unity among the cadets (wich are sorely needed)

As someone locally mentioned.  just do it and fly under the radar.

I could, most probably will, but just once this could be the easy uniform to impliment, because there is almost no cost.

JM

MIKE

FYI: Vanguard sells both winter and summer CAP PT uniforms.  Linky
Mike Johnston

CadetProgramGuy

Interesting......

No Reg for PT uniforms, and yet there they are.......

Wait for it.....wwwaaaaiiittt ffffooorrr iiittt!!!

Thats right we ARE a government organization!!

arajca

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 25, 2007, 09:36:46 PM
Do you know why it was voted down?

It seems to me that NHQ is willing to change any and all uniforms willy nilly, but will not make a move for a simple PT uniform?
This was before the current administration. I believe it was cost based, since, IIRC, the proposal was a complete AFPT type uniform.

DNall

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 25, 2007, 09:23:43 PM
Ok I am flexable....

Black t-shiirt (same as for our BDU's)
Actually I prefer Sq shirts be black for wear w/ BDUs, but I specifically don't want black shirts worn with PTs because I don't want them to run & get the thing all nasty, I make them take a shower, and they put that gross thing right back on. They can't do that with a gray/white/blue shirt.

The reason no PTU is formally adopted is simply for cost savings to cadets. Uniforms will be changed willy nilly for whiny senior members, but not so much for cadets (be it a practical idea or not).

That said, I strongly feel some kind of loose standards (like you have above) should be spelled out to designate what is a PTU & what is civies. Cause there are insurance & liability considerations involved.

CadetProgramGuy

After looking at the Vanguard site, i gotta admit I actually Like the shorts.

After that..........

I honestly don't care about the t-shirt, I said Black, because you have to have one for the BDU's anyways.

But a good and very funky, smelly, icky, you know cadets are gonna go it point was made. 

Cadets will wear the PT shirt after a shower....I have a mental picture in my head as we speak......."but captain, you didn't tell us to put on a clean shirt......"

Fifinella

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 26, 2007, 01:41:30 AM
I honestly don't care about the t-shirt, I said Black, because you have to have one for the BDU's anyways.
We are transitioning to the Vanguard PT shirt.  GREAT advertising when we are working out, and it is much cooler than working out in sun-absorbing black.  True, they have to buy another shirt (besides black BDU), but since there isn't anything in the regs about a PT uniform, we still use the black shorts they were wearing before.  Saves on the cost.

Our PT uniform:
1. Vanguard PT shirt
2. solid black shorts/sweatpants - NO designs, logos or zippers (tiny manufacturer's logos are tolerated)
3. white socks
4. non-marking-soled sneakers
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

DNall

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 26, 2007, 01:41:30 AM
"but captain, you didn't tell us to put on a clean shirt......"
Usually it's "you didn't tell us we needed BRING seperate shirts for PT & BDUS. I got one black shirt I showed up in on Friday night, wore to bed, had on for PT sat morning & all I have to wear w/ my uniform Sat, then to bed tonight, and for PT again Sun & again with the uniform thru that day."

That's well beyond disgusting into absolutely unacceptable hygenically. Which is why we specify not-black shirts, so they HAVE to bring something else. And of course we try to make shirts for some wknd activities, or have extra Sq shirts avail at events.

Note on the CAP optional PT items.... the shirts are fine, but the shorts are a touch pricey for me to make someone go out & buy just for that purpose. It'd be nice if they both had the reflective crap like the new AF stuff, but that's a lot to ask while keeping the price low.

lordmonar

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on March 25, 2007, 09:01:38 PM
I know, I know, I know....

Not another Uniform thread talking about uniform changes....

But think about it, CAP has a uniform for everything except PT.

My 39-1 would read the following....

PT Uniform.

1) Black or Dark Blue Shorts
2) Squadron t-shirt
3) White Socks
4) Running shoes in good working condition

In thecase of Incliment weather, Dark Blue or Black Sweats can be worn over the PT Uniform.

Those Cadets who have acheived the Predidential Fitness Award are allowed to wear the Presidential Fitness T-Shirt (Red or Blue) with the Patch designating highest fitness level.

Thoughts?

1.  Lose the presidental fitness option.  The whole point of this proposal is to get everyone uniform....but 1/4 will be in blue, 1/4 in red and the rest in black...not very uniform.

2.  Just specify BDU T-shirt.  That will cover those squadrons and activities that may have logos or different colors.

3.  What about when it's cold?  I'm not running in black or blue shorts when it is under 50 degrees!  You have to specify some sort of cold weather PT gear.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

I got no prob allowing Pres-Fit patches on the PT shorts. That's what one sq here does & it looks good. Dif color shirts isn't going to work though, not unless you;re talking about color coded flight shirts for encampment or something like that.

Again do NOT specify BDU shirt for the above stated reasons. Just state blue/black shorts/sweats sans-logo & gray CAP shirt (or sweatshirt) from vanguard is fine.

JohnKachenmeister

The PT uniform is one of the few things left  that is NOT covered by some regulation, and with which a squadron comander can still tailor to his unit, the climate conditions, and use as a method to build esprit-de-corps.

Let's leave it alone.  Let the squadrons have whatever works for them. 

How often do we do PT with other squadrons to need a standard CAP-wide PT uniform?

Watch a DVD of "Heartbreak Ridge" if you want to learn the proper way to standardize PT uniforms.

Another former CAP officer

Monty

Well, it might just fan the Gods of War (or the sort that think I'm a jerk, LOL) but for what it is worth....

In the squadron I command, I could care less about what they wear to do their PT and CPFTs.  Evaluating physical fitness is such a small part of their experience (note the use of *evaluating*....plain 'ole physical fitness, however, should be something that is focused upon outside of meetings, more so, than in them....in my opinion.  I'm mostly concerned with the evaluating part and setting good physical fitness precedents for cadets to learn and implement outside of CAP.)

We specify appropriate, conservative attire for our cadets AND our seniors (yes, even I perform CPFTs.)  I personally don't care if they wear their Jr. High School gym clothes; I've never looked at PT sessions as uniformed deals anyway and by the time I might get hussied up, they've already finished and changed into the specified uniform for the meeting.

(Now I do know that our cadets do their best to look like each other...but there is no mandate for them to do so...better they spend the dollars on new trousers as they grow than to focus upon CAP running shorts which are not used near as much as a set of blue trousers...in my estimation.)

It works for us...it may not work for some...either way, I think all's well and the less regulating of our lives, the better.  :)

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on March 26, 2007, 02:11:31 PM
The PT uniform is one of the few things left  that is NOT covered by some regulation, and with which a squadron comander can still tailor to his unit, the climate conditions, and use as a method to build esprit-de-corps.

Let's leave it alone.  Let the squadrons have whatever works for them. 

How often do we do PT with other squadrons to need a standard CAP-wide PT uniform?

Watch a DVD of "Heartbreak Ridge" if you want to learn the proper way to standardize PT uniforms.

Works quite well when used in combination with black, white, or red existing cadet programs t-shirts. Just make sure to bring all 3 to the meeting with ya just so you're prepared.
GEORGE LURYE