Discussion - Uniforms: How Many and What For?

Started by ddelaney103, March 23, 2007, 05:16:36 PM

SarDragon

I do not consider it an absurd extreme. I was speaking specifically about uniforms. Continually harassing members who don't meet weight/grooming standards will drive away talented, enthusiastic, well qualified, functional members. If you think retention sucks now, institute additional subtle discriminatory policies and see what happens.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

A.Member

Quote from: SarDragon on March 25, 2007, 06:07:29 AM
I do not consider it an absurd extreme. I was speaking specifically about uniforms. Continually harassing members who don't meet weight/grooming standards will drive away talented, enthusiastic, well qualified, functional members. If you think retention sucks now, institute additional subtle discriminatory policies and see what happens.
The same could be said when we foster a culture that is complacent and accepting of mediocrity.  Perhaps that's a contributing factor to retention and recruitment issues?  Again, opinions differ.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DNall

easy... steady up now folks. Don't go getting another thread locked over tempers on all sides. We are all professional enough to discuss this w/o taking or offering personal offense. Please!!!

Getting rid of extra corp uniforms (moving to a one-to-one system) does not insult or preclude participation by anyone. Making a rule that you should wear AF-style if you meet ht/wt/grm standandards also should not be taken as an insult to people who do not, by choice or otherwise.

Please take note of my previous comments in this & other threads... I would start such an consolidation effort by asking AF to update the ht/wt/grm standards for wear of the AF-style to lossen up a bit, at least including BMI. That standard need not be the standard for membership, though there should be another line out there somewhere that is a standard of membership. In my experience, people respond to challenges & tend to be proud of meeting standards the rest of the world can't or won't.