New USAF Uniforms look to be WWII in most origin!!!

Started by Major Carrales, March 20, 2007, 01:53:13 AM

Major Carrales

http://www.airforcetimes.com/projects/flash/2007_03_16_afuniforms/

Its a belted jacket with old school lapels and FOUR BUTTONS.

Not bad looking...very professional.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

Looks OK, I'm not sure what the point is to 'false' pockets on lower part of jacket.

I understand that one doies not use  these pockets on a military uniform....my point is, why bother with the fake flaps?

Still, it's nice to see something drawn from the historical roots of the AF.

CLB

AWESOME! 

Now we'll have to buy something else, especially after I just spent $160 in December to buy the "current" one. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

DNall

Hate it!!! Looks stupid. I'm, all for heritage & military tradition, but it looks like the 40s, not the cutting edge warrior AF. I know a lot of people didn't like the current business suit approach - personally, I like it - and if they wanted to militarize that a bit, I think that would be well recieved, but this thing is just silly looking in so many ways. I think they missed the mark entirely & I think that's what the wear test will reveal. At very least the belt ain't happenin.

RiverAux

ColonelJack

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

pixelwonk

Quote from: DNall on March 20, 2007, 02:34:18 AM
Hate it!!! Looks stupid. I'm, all for heritage & military tradition, but it looks like the 40s, not the cutting edge warrior AF. I know a lot of people didn't like the current business suit approach - personally, I like it - and if they wanted to militarize that a bit, I think that would be well recieved, but this thing is just silly looking in so many ways. I think they missed the mark entirely & I think that's what the wear test will reveal. At very least the belt ain't happenin.

Word!

Quote from: RiverAux on March 20, 2007, 02:34:18 AM
Great....another new uniform.....
...that we won't have to adopt for another decade. 

By then Monty Pineda's Flying Circus will have us not wearing current Air Force uniforms at all instead opting for double breasted choker-collar coats with Sam Browne belts and leather flying helmets (with goggles)

ColonelJack

Quote from: DNall on March 20, 2007, 02:34:18 AM

Well, it seems that those who like the current "business suit" uniform (the McPeak design as altered) are in the minority and the AF is going to have a new blouse.  I love the idea that they're going back to their roots ... '45 and even '18.  Silly?  I disagree ... it looks military in ways the business suit never could.  And if I read the AF Times article correctly, the wear test has already happened, since they're promoting this as "your new service coat."  I got a feeling the belt is going to happen.

Like I said ... niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

I stand corrected ... the wear-test takes place this summer on a limited basis.

Still ... I think they're going to go forward with this design with great vigor.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

RiverAux

Note that you have to have the belt loops tailored for them to look right.

pixelwonk

Can't you just envision vast CAP members developing Acute Dunlop Disease when this rolls out to the masses years down the road?  :D

DNall

Quite a bit of tailoring in fact... I'd also note the wear test is going foward with both belted & non-belted versions. I think you'll find the belt gone for sure & the overall reactions haighly mixed... reflecting basically what I said, that the business suit approach isn't military enough, but this thing looks like a 40s reject that totally misses the point of who & what the AF is & the personality they want to engender in comparison to the other services. Such a cut would be much better recieved by the Marines, who live in another century. The AF uniform should look like it belongs next to an F22, not the wright flier.

RiverAux

Frankly, when you start talking about how "military" any formal uniforms are I just start to chuckle...  If its not getting mud, blood, or engine oil on it, its just a costume in my book. 

DNall

"military" with regard to uniforms isn't what you wear when getting shot at, that's the least important thing. It is the ceremonial costume aspect that matters most,,, in a service coat anyway. That's supposed to reflect your identity & define who you are.

Major_Chuck

So glad I don't have to wear it.  Don't get me wrong, it is okay looking.  I'm having my own issues having to deal with the Army Class A's going away and purchasing the Army Blues.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

DNall

MIKE

I kinda like the belt... but I think having the belt be tailored is going to look bad in practice.  Just look at the belts on the female and male versions in the pictures.

Mike Johnston

Pylon

Men's neckties for females... interesting! 

(At least the Air Force field tests and gets feedback on their proposed new uniforms first...) :-X
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on March 20, 2007, 03:23:51 AM

The RAF does it.  Though I'll admit it looks kinda odd though with a female wearing a black bow tie with the mess dress uniforms.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on March 20, 2007, 03:35:37 AM
Quote from: Pylon on March 20, 2007, 03:23:51 AM

The RAF does it.  Though I'll admit it looks kinda odd though with a female wearing a black bow tie with the mess dress uniforms.

I do like it, don't get me wrong.  I think it's interesting and I'm sure the feedback they get from female airmen will also be interesting.  The bow-tie, however, I don't know how that would look....
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP