BDU's from DRMO on hold

Started by TDHenderson, February 22, 2007, 08:42:23 PM

TDHenderson

Found this posting over on the CAP Knowledgebase website.  I sure hope that National can work something out for us.

Effectively immediately, the Department of Defense has prohibited all screening of military battle dress uniforms by non-military organizations. No reason for the restriction has been given. We are working with DRMO to determine whether or not CAP may be granted an exception as the Air Force Auxiliary and whether or not the restriction is temporary or permanent. We will advise you as soon as we receive more information. This issue is our number one priority. A copy of the message is below. Please pass this information to all your wing commanders and logistics officers.

JOHNNY DEAN
Logistics Director
NHQ Civil Air Patrol

DRMS DEMIL BULLETIN FY 07-06
February 16,2007

MILITARY COMBAT UNIFORMS

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY FOR ALL DRMO's WORLDWIDE: Military combat uniforms will only be released to Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and their Guard or Reserve components. This restriction applies to all Combat Uniforms (BDU, ACU, DCU, MARPAT, BDU 6-Color Desert AKA "Chocolate Chip", NWUs, AFBDU or ABU) worn by the armed forces of the United States (See the demil web site for a
detailed description). This restriction includes the trousers, shirts, jackets, and associated headwear or helmet covers. A partial list of NSNs is attached, however, DRMOs must ensure that no military combat uniforms are released to non-military units regardless of stock number or if identified by an LSN. Additionally, DRMO's will not issue any combat uniform items to DODAACs: W91MQS or W9008Z.

Receipt: Military combat uniforms will be received or batched in accordance with established procedures. Expedited processing will be utilized. Combat uniforms will not be mixed with other clothing items during accumulation to facilitate ultimate disposal at ESD.

Reutilization: DRMO's will only allow release to Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and their Guard or Reserve components. No other Special Programs, Transfer, or Dunation release is authorized.

At ESD: DRMOs will hold combat uniforms pending receipt of further guidance. This guidance applies to all DRMO's, CONUS and OCONUS.

mikeylikey1

Well that sucks! I guess that is fallout from the IRAQIS (IRANIANS) using ACU's and killing Americans a few weeks ago.  Here's the fix!  Get your REGION LOGISTICS NCO (Air Force) to go to DRMO and draw them him or herself.  Then have him or her issue them to you.  There is a "way" around everything!

DNall

^ I was just going to guess that about Iraq current events.

I don't know that CAP-USAF can sign the stuff out & then issue it to CAP. I think they might well be restricted as well. There are a couple other sources but those might get hit with the falout from teh spirit of this thing, depending on what that is.

I do hope that's resolved quickly. CAP doesn't get top priority attention, but CAP-USAF is good at what they do.

Trevor, that source I mentioned to you previously should still be open. Make sure you have your State Director check into that, and you guys may be able to still get stuff from the guard. I'd also recommend people touch base w/ any SDF they have in their state as they are moving over to ACUs now & have BDUs stockpiled.

Eclipse

I can't see how this is possibly fallout from an enemy combatant using our uniforms to attack us.

There are about a million commercial sources for everything you need, not to mention ebay.

I seriously doubt that the insurgents are getting their fake uniforms from the DRMO in Idaho!

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

It does strike me as an over-reaction, but I think they're just being careful.

Don't look for your state director or local military units to get involved.  Use of other agencies to circumvent the intent of this order is likely to have some real far-reaching consequences.

Wait until things settle down, and the DRMO's have BDU's coming out of their ears.
Another former CAP officer

DNall

Quote from: Eclipse on February 22, 2007, 10:32:51 PM
I seriously doubt that the insurgents are getting their fake uniforms from the DRMO in Idaho!
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 22, 2007, 10:49:57 PM
It does strike me as an over-reaction, but I think they're just being careful.
Yeah but just imagine if being a DLA manager thinking of the possibility. I think to be honest it's an over-reactive force protection assessment talking about how avail this stuff is & the same thing could happen at a domestic target or overseas outside the combat zone. Granted it's an over-reaction, and we're assuming that's the reason behind it anyway, but that doesn't mean it's not the case... probably is. Seems like them.

Major_Chuck

There's a little more background  to this story as well that I got from some Pentagon people a couple of years ago when I was the Wing LG.

DoD is sending a lot of surplus uniforms overseas to our 'allies and friends' around the world.  Almost like getting your big brothers clothes when he outgrows them.  Iraq, Latin and South America,  Afghanistan, several countries in Africa and the former Soviet Union  that I can't spell or pronounce.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

DNall

Well yeah, I knew that covered a big quantity & coincided with the rules getting a lot harder, but I think this is something else, and I'd anticipate temporary.

brasda91

One of our AF reservists who attends our meetings regularly, told me just the other day that KY would not be able to get into the DRMO.  I find it funny that this thread was started, just after I had a conversation about it.  :)
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011