Leather A2 Flight Jacket

Started by Hotel 179, December 22, 2006, 03:06:51 PM

arajca

Quote from: O-Rex on January 21, 2007, 06:31:35 PM
You mean you have to purchase the buttons separately?  :-\
No. Vanguard is waiting for the manufacturer to ship the buttons to Vanguard so they can install them. My coat came with the antique finish CAP crest buttons initially and Vanguard sent me the new shiney CAP crest buttons for no cost - not even shipping.

QuoteWhat about the screw-on button for the service cap?  They were supposed to come out with those too.
Haven't seen those yet.

O-Rex

I saw the same websites: there are folks who have this A-2 Jacket-thing down to a science (kinda like the folks who can spot a fake Rolex from 2 miles away.)  Even among the WWII jackets, there are lots & models that differentiate them (pre-war, M-41's M-43's, etc. etc.)  I guess its like anything else: if you're really into something, you study the minute details that might seem meaningless to others.

I'm utilitarian by nature: collecting things reminds me of a George Carlin routine "You got all this stuff, then you gotta buy bigger house to put your stuff. . ."   If I buy something, I use it.   

Funny, bit if you read the original jacket specs from last spring, It calls for a bi-swing back.  A-2's don't come that way (gee, I'm starting to sound like a jacket-nazi-no velcro for you! >:( but you can get an "F-82" jacket from Flightsuits Inc/Gibson & Barnes, which is a hybrid A-2 with a Navy G-1 back.  They're really sharp, but pricey.

Sooner or later, Vanguard will carry them, albeit at a premium.

I'll hold off, shop around, and see what shakes out: I don't live in a climate where I would put much mileage on a leather jacket anyway.

They're cool to have, though. . . . .

Monty

I know how folks hate revived threads, but I figured it'd be a good story worth carrying this particular thread forward...

So...my bride opts to get me one of these black leather jackets for Christmas; problem was, the Vanguard one was too big so we ended up sending it back.  During the course of which, we decided to take it as a sign and shop around.

Ultimately, we went with the Pop's Leather thing.  We placed the order with Pop's on the 17th of Feb and the thing arrived from Turkey - perfect and completely satisfactory to my tastes - this morning, the 23rd of Feb.

Wow; I can't even get that sort of action when writing from San Jose, CA to Maxwell AFB, AL!   :P

In my opinion, having felt both the Vanguard and the Pop's version, the latter is a bit more labor intensive (having your measurements taken) but is a much better jacket.

I didn't opt for a bunch of the silly options (silly, at least in my opinion - blood chit?  In CAP?  Egads!) so this is about as standard to the brown one I have from my USAF days as is possible (which I never got "tweaked" out either.)

So as it stands now, I guess I'm "corporately" good to go.   ;D

I have a wonderful wife......awwwwwwwwww.............thanks Baba Sue for the Christmas Present; just in time for St. Paddy's Day!   ;)

CAPOfficer

Just in case anyone is interested, Airborne-Leathers has a sale going on right now for the leather jacket for $98 (regularly $249), until the 1st of March.  Please see; http://www.airborne-leathers.com/jackets.html for additional details.

lordmonar

I just ordered two.  One in black and one in brown!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

O-Rex

Quote from: msmjr2003 on February 23, 2007, 07:06:26 PM
thanks Baba Sue for the Christmas Present; just in time for St. Paddy's Day!   ;)

Your wife actually BUYS you CAP stuff? You lucky S.O.B!!!

Hey, I'll take the belated jacket over Old Spice and socks any day  ???

Fantasy conversation:

"Honey, what do you want for your birthday?"

"New Headset."

"Bose, or David Clark X-11??"

;D

AlphaSigOU

That the regular CAP patch? Haven't seen a leather-backed one for the A-2 style jacket - yet.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Monty

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 24, 2007, 07:46:09 AM
That the regular CAP patch? Haven't seen a leather-backed one for the A-2 style jacket - yet.

Nope.......that's black "fuzzy" velcro on the jacket behind the patch.  Vanguard's is much bigger than Pop's (I even asked them to sew a small piece on - they must have used an odd-shaped patch with which to judge.

Robert Hartigan

I have not been paying attention to this corporate uniform thing after I saw a memo introduce it then change it within week...

When and with what uniform can you wear this leather jacket?

Can you wear a AF style white shirt or does it have to be the crappy NJROTC/airline style aviator shirt?

The only strikes I have against the corporate uniform are the shirt and the silly silver braid on the service coat and that I can not wear mil badge or ribbons. Change those three things and I think you could make a convincing argument to leave the AF uniform. Even the blue bdus make sense then...
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

DNall

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on February 24, 2007, 03:46:38 PM
Change those three things and I think you could make a convincing argument to leave the AF uniform. Even the blue bdus make sense then...
And you don't think that's a bad thing? We're still dependent completely on AF requested funds to survive & function, dependent on them for missions, etc... During this down budget period where they're cutting their own people hard & fast, they've given us HUGE amounts of month for a massive amount of comms & a massive number of new planes per year. I think it's pretty important that our uniforms lean to the AF-style as much as possible to keep people reminded of that central fact & not thinking they can go off on their own & act like a seperate service not accountable to anyone.

Look, they're doing a fine job here lately making the alternative uniforms seem just as good as the aF-style, and that's horrible. The whole point was to have professional business attire that could be readily converted with a nametag & only for those that couldn'r wear the AF-style. Now they're making decent lookin stuff that tempts people out of the AF-style for varrious reasons, not least among them that they think they can be lazy in how they wear the corporate versions. That's all bad stuff. It's good intentions, not thought thru, and in execution it is ciunter to the interests of CAP & the AF.

Robert Hartigan

I said you could make a convincing argument. I did not say it was a correct thing to do.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

lordmonar

Quote from: DNall on February 24, 2007, 03:57:41 PM
Change those three things and I think you could make a convincing argument to leave the AF uniform. Even the blue bdus make sense then...
And you don't think that's a bad thing? We're still dependent completely on AF requested funds to survive & function, dependent on them for missions, etc... During this down budget period where they're cutting their own people hard & fast, they've given us HUGE amounts of month for a massive amount of comms & a massive number of new planes per year. I think it's pretty important that our uniforms lean to the AF-style as much as possible to keep people reminded of that central fact & not thinking they can go off on their own & act like a separate service not accountable to anyone.

Look, they're doing a fine job here lately making the alternative uniforms seem just as good as the AF-style, and that's horrible. The whole point was to have professional business attire that could be readily converted with a nametag & only for those that couldn'r wear the AF-style. Now they're making decent lookin stuff that tempts people out of the AF-style for varrious reasons, not least among them that they think they can be lazy in how they wear the corporate versions. That's all bad stuff. It's good intentions, not thought thru, and in execution it is ciunter to the interests of CAP & the AF.

Knowing the USAF's history on uniforms....I think they would like for us to go away from the USAF style uniforms.  Remember it is the USAF that is forcing us to have corporates in the first place.  So you really can't say the USAF would upset if everyone in CAP suddenly switched to corporates.

Again this is a case of you projecting your anger.  The uniform mismatch is the USAF's fault not CAP's.  NHQ is trying to resolve the issue by making the corporate uniform more like the USAF.  They want to be more like the USAF.  It is NOT part of some plan to lure people away from the USAF.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

I think I'll need one with a "Blood Chit" on the back.  Here in Florida, the Blood Chit should be in English and Spanish, and Vietnamese if you fly near Orlando.
Another former CAP officer

LtCol White

Quote from: lordmonar on February 24, 2007, 04:47:39 PM
Quote from: DNall on February 24, 2007, 03:57:41 PM
And you don't think that's a bad thing? We're still dependent completely on AF requested funds to survive & function, dependent on them for missions, etc... During this down budget period where they're cutting their own people hard & fast, they've given us HUGE amounts of month for a massive amount of comms & a massive number of new planes per year. I think it's pretty important that our uniforms lean to the AF-style as much as possible to keep people reminded of that central fact & not thinking they can go off on their own & act like a separate service not accountable to anyone.

Look, they're doing a fine job here lately making the alternative uniforms seem just as good as the AF-style, and that's horrible. The whole point was to have professional business attire that could be readily converted with a nametag & only for those that couldn'r wear the AF-style. Now they're making decent lookin stuff that tempts people out of the AF-style for varrious reasons, not least among them that they think they can be lazy in how they wear the corporate versions. That's all bad stuff. It's good intentions, not thought thru, and in execution it is ciunter to the interests of CAP & the AF.

Knowing the USAF's history on uniforms....I think they would like for us to go away from the USAF style uniforms.  Remember it is the USAF that is forcing us to have corporates in the first place.  So you really can't say the USAF would upset if everyone in CAP suddenly switched to corporates.

Again this is a case of you projecting your anger.  The uniform mismatch is the USAF's fault not CAP's.  NHQ is trying to resolve the issue by making the corporate uniform more like the USAF.  They want to be more like the USAF.  It is NOT part of some plan to lure people away from the USAF.

USAF isnt forcing us to have corporates. CAP is. USAF simply stated that anyone who wears the USAF uniform must meet standards plus 10%. For many years, the blazer combo met the need for those not in USAF uniform as did the blue jumpsuits.  It is a CAP issues NOT a USAF issue.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

DNall

Quote from: lordmonar on February 24, 2007, 04:47:39 PM

With respect, that's not how it happened. AF NEVER said we should have corporate-style uniforms. They came along way back when & said we had to meet a relaxed version of the ht/wt standards, or we couldn't wear the AF uniform. That was directed at the whole organization & expressing a desire that we require ht/wt/grooming from membership or they'd take away the uniforms all together. CAP decided to side-step the AF's moral high ground by creating modified business attire for members to wear if they couldn't meet the ht/wt. That wasn't & isn't AF's desire, and so it isn't their fault. It's a duality created by us so we can do our own thing by loop-hole w/o accountability. That's about 30 year old history though, so it's not going to change now.

I do not, however, believe anything is part of some grand conspiracy to lure anyone to or away from the AF. I don't believe any such agenda exists, at least I would hope the hell not. My point is merely that the uniform is a constant reminder of who papa is, and if you make the alternatives attractive enough people may well choose to wear those instead, and thereby be less frequenly reminded of who's paying for this date. I don't think that's so much a good thing. I think if you'll look at a lot of things that have happened in the past & are happening now, they tend to be reactionary actions by good hearted & intentioned people trying to do what they think is best for their current members. The problem with that is it reduces standards to the floor so no one is excluded & doesn't take into accoutn what's best for the organization, AF, or country in the longer term. Fact is with our retention rates over the history of CAP, if you lose members for doing the right thing they'll replace themselves several times over before the next policy decision comes around.

Robert Hartigan

So DNall what you are saying is CAP is the fat chick third cousin the AF was forced to take to the Jr Prom way back when and now after all these years AF just asked CAP to loose some weight and possibly wax its upper lip if CAP is going to be seen in public with AF from time to time. CAP decide it was better to bleach the the upper lip rather than wax and wear a gray house coat.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Hawk200

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on February 25, 2007, 01:01:57 AM
So DNall what you are saying is CAP is the fat chick third cousin the AF was forced to take to the Jr Prom way back when and now after all these years AF just asked CAP to loose some weight and possibly wax its upper lip if CAP is going to be seen in public with AF from time to time. CAP decide it was better to bleach the the upper lip rather than wax and wear a gray house coat.

Seems to about cover it....

DNall

;D :o ;D Well maybe asked CAP to lose some weight & get in shape, CAP went out & bought new dress instead & they never talked about it again to each other, but both sides to this day raise all hell about it to their buddies... yeah something like that.

MIKE

It's funny, even if a bit off topic.
Mike Johnston

Hammer

Quote from: Hotel 179 on December 22, 2006, 03:06:51 PM
Good Morning, All.

Based upon a recommendation I ordered the black A2 from Pop's Leather (www.popsleather.com).  The order hit the web site on 15 December and the jacket was on my doorstep in the afternoon of 20 December.

The ordering was simple, but you'll need someone to assist you with the measuring process.  I chose the goatskin leather from a traditional standpoint.  Several options are available on the jacket, i.e. inside pockets, velcro for patches, original style neck closure hook, etc..

A nice leather patch inside the jacket reads, "Custom made for _________".  The quality and fit is very high.  I'm a leather jacket junkie and this one is very nice.  Base price was $180, options add a few dollars and shipping from Turkey via DHL was $32.

Fly safe,

Stephen

Pop's Leather does do a good job.  But there prices are alot cheaper if you actually go to their store in Turkey.  At least that's what I was told.