What to do with old mini medals and ribbons

Started by James Shaw, September 08, 2010, 05:10:03 PM

James Shaw

I am curious about what members do with their old mini medals and ribbons after there usefulness is complete. I know that they get dirty and ugly at times and they need to be replaced.

Do you simply throw them away?
Do you attempt to wash them?
What about the medal part of the mini, do you throw it away as well?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MICT1362

If there is any usefulness left in the item at all, it goes to the unit.  Typically this would cover ribbons that you have updated with clasps.  So say I had a Comm Comm with 1 device and earned another device, the old ribbon and device go to the unit.  When rank insignia is changed, as long as its not totally destroyed, it goes to the unit.  If an item is unserviceable (brown CAC ribbon) I trash them.  I may try to save any devices if possible.  As far as medals go, you could say the metal part and make them into something else...Key Chain, Necklace, etc...

-Paramedic

James Shaw

Quote from: MICT1362 on September 08, 2010, 05:22:11 PM
As far as medals go, you could say the metal part and make them into something else...Key Chain, Necklace, etc...

-Paramedic

I have used one to make a lapel pin out of it. Turned out pretty good.
Jim Shaw

The CyBorg is destroyed

If a ribbon is really frayed, it goes in the bin.

I have pretty good results, though...I give my ribbons a light dusting of Scotchgard and that really helps in terms of longevity and keeping them clean.

I don't have Mess Dress so I don't have any miniature medals.

When I've got promoted I usually keep one set of epaulettes (though my berry boards went in the bin) and give any extras to the unit.

However...thanks to the CSU flap I now have a set of perfectly good Air Force blue Captain's epaulettes and metal rank I am no longer authorised to wear, and I cannot think of anyone who would be able to get use out of them.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

James Shaw

There is always a method to my madness and reasoning for my asking. I am getting ready to try and start creating mobile displays that can be sent to the region or the wing that will have ribbons, patches and such. I need old ribbons and old mini medals to do this. I would like to have members send me all of the old ribbons they have. This can be done fairly cheaply and it would be a big help for the displays.

I have used all of my old ones experimenting different cleaning techniques. I am taking the old ones and flattening them out and putting them in the washer in a bag with other clothes. This will not work if the ribbon is still in the original form so I have to smash the back to keep the fibers in place. They will then be glued to the backing to keep in place.

I am also getting ribbon by the foot from Vanguard for all of the ribbons to do some special displays. It will be a little while before I get them.

Any old stuff would be appreciated.
Jim Shaw

HGjunkie

The ribbons can be taken apart very easily for cleaning purposes. They're basically in 3 pieces- a metal shaper, the ribbon, and a strip of metal to keep it all together.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Al Sayre

I figured on taking my old medals and attaching them to my pocket watch chain... 
If you want some old ribbons, PM me your address and I'll mail you a big handful.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DakRadz

Quote from: CyBorg on September 08, 2010, 05:50:22 PM
However...thanks to the CSU flap I now have a set of perfectly good Air Force blue Captain's epaulettes and metal rank I am no longer authorised to wear, and I cannot think of anyone who would be able to get use out of them.

You could always try the Marketplace here, sir. Be clear on the description and you might could sell them- I know Cadet Stuff has an AD USAF Capt. We might have some too.
Heck, the metal insignia extends the possibilities even further for AD, prior service, and the like.

If not... eBay! :D

RVT

Quote from: caphistorian on September 08, 2010, 05:10:03 PMI am curious about what members do with their old mini medals and ribbons after there usefulness is complete. I know that they get dirty and ugly at times and they need to be replaced.

I cannot imagine anyone in CAP, to include National staff, using mini medals enough to get them unserviceable.

Ribbons, on the other hand, do wear out or get too dirty to use.  I no longer wear ribbon sets I assembled myself though.

I have become a big fan of Ultrathin.  My complete rack is on the coat, and the previous set that's now incomplete but too much of a bother to update becomes my shirt set.  And as I'm not wearing them every day it may take a good long while for them to wear out - more likely the pins will break off the back at some point.  If that happens before I need a new coat rack I'll just stop wearing ribbons on the shirt.

Somewhere around here in some box I still have my plastic cadet ribbons with the glued on devices.  I'm so glad I don't have to mess with that stuff anymore.