What's the Difference?

Started by Fly Boy, April 24, 2010, 01:55:10 AM

Fly Boy

Just a few questions:

What's the difference between an enlisted service coat and an officer's service coat?
Does the difference really effect the placement of the shoulder boards of a cadet officer?
Is there a way to "modify" an enlisted coat to become an officer coat (if there is a difference)?

The reason I ask is that I have an enlisted service coat that fits me well and I should earn my Mitchell by July (If I'm lucky ;D) and don't want to spend money that I can't afford to waste at this point.

--Fly Boy

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

jimmydeanno

1) The enlisted service coat doesn't have epaulets (the flaps on the shoulders).
2) Sometimes the epaulets make shoulder boards stick up and look funny.
3) It's difficult to modify the coat, but it can be done to convert them.
4) It isn't necessary for you to buy a new coat.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 24, 2010, 01:56:57 AM
1) The enlisted service coat doesn't have epaulets (the flaps on the shoulders).
2) Sometimes the epaulets make shoulder boards stick up and look funny.
3) It's difficult to modify the coat, but it can be done to convert them.
4) It isn't necessary for you to buy a new coat.
What he said.

My addition: There is no reason for you to go out and spend $130 (or whatever they charge for them now) on an officer service coat as a cadet. In fact, I think Cadet Officer Shoulder Boards attach better to the enlisted coat (sans epaulets) than they do to the officer version. There is less bulk on the shoulders, and it has a much better, streamlined look IMHO.

There is a great thread on CadetStuff (link) on various methods of attaching insignia to the boards, and attaching the boards to the coat.

notaNCO forever

The big difference is the service coat is about fifty dollars more just for epaulets. It's eighty dollars for enlisted an one thirty for an officer coat at least on Lackland.

Rotorhead

Do you live in an area near a USAF base?

If so, check out the Goodwills and Thrift Shops. I got my blues coat, slacks and a long-sleeve shirt for $16 this way.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

MIKE

Agree with DC.  I wouldn't go out and spend the coin on an officers coat unless you plan on becoming a senior.  Having epaulets just so you can put shoulder boards on them is redundant redundant.

Although the AFJROTC method is even more cost effective for the new style coat IMO.
Mike Johnston