Main Menu

CAP Capt in VSAF

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 24, 2008, 05:54:57 PM

♠SARKID♠

Article from the nationals website
http://www.cap.gov/documents/news/u_sky_web_03_21_2008a_13_032408092859.pdf

Sounds like he's doing a heck of a lot more than just handing out towels at the weight room.

mikeylikey

hmmm.....they called him a CAP Captain.  Did the world just fall apart?  Won't that confuse those he works with?  Are the Enlisted Airman walking around in circles outside the DIFAC now, because they are so confused? 

Give me a break.  Great article, bad polo shirt!  Looks purple, and we already had polos that could have been worn. 

Is this the CAPT we have on CAPTALK now, telling us the "whats up" over in the other VSAF thread??
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

DNall

Seems like a CAP written article to push the program, so not all that convinced the wider program will have lots of involved positions, still waiting to see on that.

GPVIIOps

God I hate having my picture taken.

Yes that is the same CAP Capt we have on CAPTALK...me

No it wasn't CAP written, it was actually put together by the Major I work for and my self, then approved through my Group CC and the AF Lt Col over the program. CAP didn't have anything to do with it for the most part. The Major loves the program (free help) and called the base news paper and asked them to do another story on the VSAF program.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

SAR-EMT1

Curious... just how many hours a week do you put in at the shop Captain?
How much do you put in at your normal paying job?

The way the article paints it, you are working as a vollunteer 40 + hours a week.
Many of us cant do that, but I would be able ot put in, say... one or two 24 hour days a month.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

GPVIIOps

Well, I have an unusual situation. I am a firefighter in the real world, so most weeks I will have two or three days off throughout the work week (I work 24 hours and then off 48 hours). Most firefighters have side jobs to keep them busy on their days off, I use VSAF.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

mynetdude

So, VSAF is not part of CAP? Would that mean a citizen who is not a CAP member who goes through background/security checks can volunteer strictly for VSAF?

RiverAux

No, VSAF is just another CAP program.  They hope that people join CAP just to participate in the program (assuming it goes national at some point). 

mynetdude

Quote from: RiverAux on March 27, 2008, 10:17:32 PM
No, VSAF is just another CAP program.  They hope that people join CAP just to participate in the program (assuming it goes national at some point). 

I hope this program extends to ANG bases and such including major AF bases or Naval ports, etc as of right now the pilot program is only running on two major AF bases it seems.

mikeylikey

Quote from: mynetdude on March 27, 2008, 11:12:00 PM

I hope this program extends to ANG bases and such including major AF bases or Naval ports, etc as of right now the pilot program is only running on two major AF bases it seems.

I wouldn't even consider Wright-Patterson a "Major" Base.  They have such a tiny Commissary and BX to begin with, and most of their day to day opps are R&D, and warehousing.  (Plus, I hear that is where the aliens from Area 51 are stored).
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 27, 2008, 11:19:31 PM

I wouldn't even consider Wright-Patterson a "Major" Base.  They have such a tiny Commissary and BX to begin with, and most of their day to day opps are R&D, and warehousing.  (Plus, I hear that is where the aliens from Area 51 are stored).

hmm that sounds major enough to me, but I don't know a thing.

speaking of Area 51, I thought it was in Nevada? Heck, recently I saw a movie called "showdown at Area 51" and Area 51 was in Missouri, granted it was just a movie.

GPVIIOps

We are the home of the 88th Air Base Wing, 445th Reserve Command, Air Force Material Command, and all the R&D stuff too. WPAFB is bigger than one might think. There are more O-5's and O-6's than I ever care to see.

mynetdude

Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 28, 2008, 02:25:26 AM
We are the home of the 88th Air Base Wing, 445th Reserve Command, Air Force Material Command, and all the R&D stuff too. WPAFB is bigger than one might think. There are more O-5's and O-6's than I ever care to see.

That's convincing enough to indicate thats a major AFB IMHO.

you don't care to see them? You gotta salute them? :P

GPVIIOps

I do salute (when in an actual uniform not VSAF), but there is one every time you turn the corner at WP. Don't get me wrong, there are some great ones, but there are enough on Base to also get the people who tell you that they are a Col every five words.  ;D

mynetdude

Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 28, 2008, 03:08:12 AM
I do salute (when in an actual uniform not VSAF), but there is one every time you turn the corner at WP. Don't get me wrong, there are some great ones, but there are enough on Base to also get the people who tell you that they are a Col every five words.  ;D

*laughs* I can imagine, though they have EARNED it and they want your respect even as a civilian wearing USAF uniform.  Although, I am sure they take it extra seriously they wouldn't want to see their lower ranking guys see you ooof or get a "break" ;).

Seriously, I'd be all for VSAF as I am sure there is stuff I could do in the IT field like what you were doing in the photo shown in this thread.  IT is more likely what I'll stick to during my entire CAP career.

Glad you like it, and congrats on taking it on in the pilot program :).

GPVIIOps

Quote from: mynetdude on March 28, 2008, 03:14:44 AM
Quote from: GPVIIOps on March 28, 2008, 03:08:12 AM

*laughs* I can imagine, though they have EARNED it and they want your respect even as a civilian wearing USAF uniform.  Although, I am sure they take it extra seriously they wouldn't want to see their lower ranking guys see you ooof or get a "break" ;).

Seriously, I'd be all for VSAF as I am sure there is stuff I could do in the IT field like what you were doing in the photo shown in this thread.  IT is more likely what I'll stick to during my entire CAP career.

Glad you like it, and congrats on taking it on in the pilot program :).

Earned it they have, but much like any office, corporation, or branch you always have those few that give the rest a bad name. I have yet to have one talk down to me in a VSAF form. Everyone that I have worked with has done nothing but go out of their way to tell me what a good job I am doing and how happy they are to have me there.

I think if you talk to whoever is heading up your VSAF program (when it starts where you are) they can try to find a job that fits to you. Like me, the Major I work with tells everyone I am a perfect fit for the office. I have background in military, law enforcement, fire/ems, and emergency management. All are offices and programs we work with.

A lot of what jobs come open, depend on how publicised the program is on your base. The base offices have to sign up to have VSAF people in their office, and if they don't know who we are or the ways we can help, then you stand a chance of having not so hot jobs. From what I was told, they brought the program up in a Wing Staff Meeting and it went from there. I think some offices were waiting to see how things go before jumping into the pit. I have been working on base for a about a month now and have seen a lot more jobs come open.

mynetdude

"Earned it they have" almost sounds like Yoda again :P

Well yeah I agree like I was saying before, some can go a bit too far with it however to each his own.

Well as long as VSAF portrays a good image, I'll bet there is a good chance word will spread faster than a blink of an eye.

Nearest military installation (bases) to me is 2hrs away :( But it would be worth it if I went twice a week in the summer time or as needed in a series of days then several weeks off and then back on.  The other one is 4 1/2 hours the opposite direction so that one isn't so much of an option.  There are a few other military installations that are not bases, such as Camp Riley, Oregon Military Academy, etc I don't know if they would solicit the need for VSAF but then again those are all too far away for me.

GPVIIOps

I don't know how far they plan on taking it, or the time line. I do know that while on VSAF I am on an "Air Force Assigned Mission," mostly for insurance purposes I believe. So I don't know if they have thought about or would do other services, I hope so though.

mynetdude

Really? so every time you are needed NOC issues you a mission number? I bet they use a special designator to indicate its a VSAF.  Or perhaps they use the same mission number just for that base for that year, I would presume fuel reimbursements are not included? Not that makes any difference, I wasn't planning on that but since you brought up AFAM I just had to ask.

I've done countless volunteer work for various places, and plenty on my own for CAP I pay for my own fuel I am just as happy. I was just curious if it applied to VSAF on AFAMs.