CAP proficiency in non-CAP aircraft

Started by stratoflyer, August 15, 2008, 11:56:03 PM

stratoflyer

I heard that it is possible for me to take out an FBO aircraft of the same type as our CAP airplane and maintain proficiency in that and report it to CAP. This does two things--keeps me sharp, and shows my wing how much my squadron likes to fly.

Anyone know about this?

Also, I know someone who is going to have a Form 5 checkout in a FBO airplane. How's that work?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

FW

Proficiency flying can be done in any aircraft  you're comfortable with.  Form 5's are set up as you would any other CAP aircraft... schedule the aircraft, get the check pilot and fly.  It's as easy as that.  However, don't expect to get reimbursed for the check ride OR the proficiency flight (if your a MP).  For that, you need to be flying a corporate Cessna.

bosshawk

FW: not necessarily true on needing to fly a corporate aircraft to be reimbursed.  If you are flying your own aircraft or a rented one on a funded mission, you will be reimbursed at the rate specified for that particular aircraft.  I use my own aircraft on occasion and am reimbursed, providing that it is on a funded mission.  You are on your own if you do a Form 5 or proficiency flying in any aircraft if the flight is not on a funded mission.  BTW: there is very little funding on any mission not in the A category.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

afgeo4

Quote from: FW on August 16, 2008, 12:05:41 AM
Proficiency flying can be done in any aircraft  you're comfortable with.  Form 5's are set up as you would any other CAP aircraft... schedule the aircraft, get the check pilot and fly.  It's as easy as that.  However, don't expect to get reimbursed for the check ride OR the proficiency flight (if your a MP).  For that, you need to be flying a corporate Cessna.

Or Gippsland
GEORGE LURYE

FW

Picky, picky, picky.   ;D

Boss, I didn't say you can't get reimbursed.  I said "don't expect to get reimbursed".  However, you explained the situation correctly.  In most wings, using a member owned or furnished aircraft is not reimbursed unless all corporate aircraft are unavailable to the pilot and, of course, the pilot is a MP or Cadet O'flight pilot.

IceNine

I asked this question once too, and the official answer was as listed.

The off the record answer was "You were kidding on that right? Keep waiting for those flying pigs"
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

stratoflyer

I know Form 5 is not funded. What I was trying to find out is how do I report flying I do on my own as proficiency flying.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

FW

^Just log it in your log book.   That works just fine; unless your wing has a special form to log it.

hatentx

So if you can fly your personal aircraft on RedCAP mission what about on on the Rotary side of the house or must it be fixed wing?

FW

CAPR 60-1 gives proficiency scenarios for mission pilots.  I guess you can fly them in rotorcraft however, CAPF 5s and 91s need to be performed in fixed wing aircraft, as we don't fly helicopters on CAP missions.  CAPR 173-3 doesn't even have a reimbursement schedule for rotor wing aircraft.

hatentx

other than the fact of fixed wing being more abundant and such is there another reason why the helicopter is not looked at.  I would think that we could almost to the areal search better in a helicopter and if the site was found and able to have a suitable landing spot near by get personal there faster.  I know it is off topic from the original post but just wondering.

FW

^ The helicopter is a great machine however,  costs of purchase, training and O&M are significantly higher than fixed wing aircraft.  Also, I have not found a single FBO willing to rent a helicopter to a pilot for proficiency flying or personal use.  Of course, YMMV. 

These are two reasons I can think of which may be a factor however, I can't give you a definitive answer.  This might be a good question for the CAP "Knowledgebase".