weight and balance excel spreadsheet

Started by starshippe, August 19, 2013, 01:42:04 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 21, 2013, 05:53:10 AM
I just checked the CAPF 104 to ensure that my recollection is accurate, and found that there are two check boxes for ORM form, one for Brief, and one for Debrief. It seems to be a hard requirement, every single time. I know that the last several times I gone flying on a mission, the ORM form has been a significant discussion.

Risk analysis for flight operations is also required by CAPR 62-1, specifically directed to use the ORM form found in the AIF.
http://www.capmembers.com/safety/authorized_activities_rm_worksheets/

The lack of ORM discussion / confirmation with the FRO was recently noted as a significant gap in CAP's procedures by CAP-USAF during
my wing's SAV.  Both the LRADO and his boss were fairly surprised that ORM was not discussed during checklists and will be recommending that CAP add this to the procedure.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

I'm still looking for a reference that the ORM form is mandatory for every flight...

SarDragon

Quote from: JeffDG on August 21, 2013, 10:55:14 AM
I'm still looking for a reference that the ORM form is mandatory for every flight...

Quote from: CAPR 60-31-11. Operational Risk Management. The determination to employ CAP resources is a serious one, and should be made carefully, with all personnel fully aware of the associated risks. All CAP members will apply the appropriate level of Operational Risk Management (ORM) and risk mitigation techniques to all events. Additional training and information on ORM is available on the NHQ Safety website.

For flying events, it's a check box on CAPF 104, the required briefing form, indicating that the ORM form has been completed.

Quote from: CAPR 60-3, para 1-16.d(3)Aircrews will not self-dispatch; they must be properly released, even remotely via phone or other means if necessary, and noted appropriately on a CAPF 104, Mission Flight Plan/Briefing Form; 107, Flight Operations Log; and other mission documents, as appropriate. Signatures are not required on the CAPF 104, but the CAPF 104 must note who briefed and released the crew accordingly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on August 21, 2013, 11:13:26 PM

Quote from: CAPR 60-31-11. Operational Risk Management. The determination to employ CAP resources is a serious one, and should be made carefully, with all personnel fully aware of the associated risks. All CAP members will apply the appropriate level of Operational Risk Management (ORM) and risk mitigation techniques to all events. Additional training and information on ORM is available on the NHQ Safety website.

For flying events, it's a check box on CAPF 104, the required briefing form, indicating that the ORM form has been completed.

Quote from: CAPR 60-3, para 1-16.d(3)Aircrews will not self-dispatch; they must be properly released, even remotely via phone or other means if necessary, and noted appropriately on a CAPF 104, Mission Flight Plan/Briefing Form; 107, Flight Operations Log; and other mission documents, as appropriate. Signatures are not required on the CAPF 104, but the CAPF 104 must note who briefed and released the crew accordingly.
So, every box on the CAPF 104 must be checked off in order for a briefing to be complete then?

starshippe

i made some additions and corrections to the conditional formatting for the baggage area cell backgrounds.
   the updated version is on the drop box site. should show aug 21 in b2. 

bill

SarDragon

Quote from: JeffDG on August 21, 2013, 11:25:34 PM

So, every box on the CAPF 104 must be checked off in order for a briefing to be complete then?

Everything that applies, and ORM always applies. Why would you NOT want to apply ORM to a flight?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on August 22, 2013, 12:02:54 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on August 21, 2013, 11:25:34 PM

Everything that applies, and ORM always applies. Why would you NOT want to apply ORM to a flight?
Never said I wouldn't.

What I'm saying is that filling out the form is not mandatory.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on August 22, 2013, 12:51:50 AM
What I'm saying is that filling out the form is not mandatory.

CAPR 62-1 19 DEC 2012, Page 8
"b. CAP commanders, activity directors, safety directors and/or safety officers, shall
reference the list of Risk Management analyses for CAP activities available on the National CAP
Safety web page [Authorized Activity RM Worksheets] at http://www.capmembers.com/safety/.
CAP leaders are required to use these forms to quantify and mitigate risk during CAP activities
in conjunction with required Operational Risk Safety Briefings. If an RM sheet is not available
for specific activity, it is expected that the blank RM worksheet on the National Safety web page
will be utilized for all activities and sub-activities prior to the activities commencement"

http://www.capmembers.com/safety/authorized_activities_rm_worksheets/ as of 21 AUG 2013
"(Risk Management analyses for flight operations, as required by CAPR 62-1, will be completed using the Risk Management worksheet in the Aircraft Information File (AIF) or the Risk Management tool in WMIRS to assess the GO/NO-GO status of the planned flight activity.)

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

There you go. I just didn't dig deep enough. ICUT training was calling me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SunDog

I upload it when I'm asked, or I remember.  It comes up on SAREX sorties, where air ops will remind us - but quite often (really, the vast majority of the time) we (my Wing) don't do the form. Just talking about the form now, not the actual evalution of risk.  We are checking weather, maintenance, hazards, self-check, etc., like most pilots have always done.

I have a "severe VFR conditions" canned version, and a couple others, for diffrent situations. I think someone from CA said they have a partially canned form, based on always dealing with mountains. I dunno, sounds sensible to me. It (the form)  seems useful, situationally. . . like most tools, it doesn't stand-alone, or work well in a vacuum.  The cites here indicate it's manadatory (the form, I mean), but it seems more honored in the breach than the observance. I'm not qualified to debate the rules, just talking merits (of the form).

I can get the same score on two missions, and decide to fly one, but not the other - once I took off in front of an advancing cold front, late afternoon.  No immediate weather risk (many hours of good VMC), but I knew I might get trapped out, away from home base. Went anyway, because it was a real mission. Took plenty of quarters for the vending machines, and blasted off. And spent the night in an airport lounge, once the sortie was complete, and waited out the frontal passage through the wee hours. The weather had been great in my search area, and where I terminated. Just no way to get back west safely. Ops knew what was what, was OK with my Plan B.

If it had been a training mission, I wouldn't have gone, though - would have trapped myself and the airplane, depriving the Wing of one valuable, and one scruffy, asset for the night.  I try not to get religious about these things - they are often codifications of things that people have been doing for decades, or processes subsituting for judgement. Good to keep an open mind, for sure. I think I have, but also good not to be blind to the flaws in process. My final go/no go isn't likely to to be determined by the score on the ORM form. Most of the time, really, almost always, everything I've done up through pre-flight will serve my decision - I already know if I'm going, or not going, before the form comes to mind. BUT, on a close call, borderline, I can see value in putting a numeric score on a category you feel hinky about - maybe tip you into the "not today" mode.

Eclipse

Mental gymnastics won't change the fact that the form is required for every flight.  If your wing is lax about completing them,
the proper course for a mature adult is to point our the inconsistency and failure to follow procure instead of
trying to justify an incorrect position.

Nothing puts our people and resources at risk more then members who "know better".

"That Others May Zoom"

SunDog

I dunno; I think there may be some things that put our people more at risk. . .  not having ADS-B hardware is more likely to kill me than omitting the ORM form upload, I think.  By the way, do the rules say you gotta upload it, or just complete it?  Not asking you to do the leg work/research, but just in case you happen to know off the top of your head? 

And I truly do believe you, that CAP requires the form for every flight (I think they use it for other activities, too?) It looks like you, or another poster, dug through the necessaries to confirm that.       

Anyway, I'll have to find a way to live with myself, even though I won't be busting my COC's chops about enforcing it.