Interesting but useless information

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, March 21, 2013, 02:14:47 AM

Cliff_Chambliss

Just how big is the Civil Air Patrol in the overall scheme of things?  Cruising several websites I started looking at the size of various air forces around the globe.  Almost 100 nations have an air force of some type although the majority would be closer to a police department air wing than an aair force.  More than a few operate only non-combat aircraft such as Cessna 206's, and 182's, a few Aero Commanders, but still call themselves an Air Force.

With 550 Aircraft the Civil Air Patrol is the 7th largest uniformed Air Force on the planet.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

a2capt

LOL, I swear I read that more than once as "uninformed"  >:D ..

..and I've heard in passing that a B-52 loaded with nukes is perhaps the 3rd or 4th "nuclear" entity on it's own, even with it's arsenal subtracted from the host country's inventory. Not sure exactly how true that is, never really bothered to look. But with all the proliferation going on who knows for how much longer those would be that big of a deterrent.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on March 21, 2013, 03:14:31 AM

..and I've heard in passing that a B-52 loaded with nukes is perhaps the 3rd or 4th "nuclear" entity on it's own, even with it's arsenal subtracted from the host country's inventory. Not sure exactly how true that is, never really bothered to look. But with all the proliferation going on who knows for how much longer those would be that big of a deterrent.

It'd have to be sixth or lower because you have US, Russia, France and UK as the top nuclear powers and then each of those countries have boomers which make the warload of a BUFF look like a popgun.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stonewall

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 21, 2013, 02:14:47 AM
Just how big is the Civil Air Patrol in the overall scheme of things?  Cruising several websites I started looking at the size of various air forces around the globe.  Almost 100 nations have an air force of some type although the majority would be closer to a police department air wing than an aair force.  More than a few operate only non-combat aircraft such as Cessna 206's, and 182's, a few Aero Commanders, but still call themselves an Air Force.

With 550 Aircraft the Civil Air Patrol is the 7th largest uniformed Air Force on the planet.

I like this stat.  Almost good recruiting "gee wiz" kind of stuff.
Serving since 1987.

Nuke52

Quote from: a2capt on March 21, 2013, 03:14:31 AM

Unfortunately, a BUFF would be a little farther down that list, but I like the way you think...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: davidsinn on March 21, 2013, 02:21:48 PM
It'd have to be sixth or lower because you have US, Russia, France and UK as the top nuclear powers and then each of those countries have boomers which make the warload of a BUFF look like a popgun.

Your point about world rankings is accurate, but I'd hardly call 20 nuclear weapons a "popgun"...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

davidsinn

Quote from: Nuke52 on March 21, 2013, 09:25:35 PM

Your point about world rankings is accurate, but I'd hardly call 20 nuclear weapons a "popgun"...

It's an analogy. A trident missile has eight warheads and an Ohio class boat carries 24 of them. That's a lot of boom compared to a single bomber.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

I think CAP may have used to use some similar statistic in its advertising.  I know I've heard similar things for a long time.

SarDragon

The "Silver Bullet" load on a typical aircraft carrier exceeded the warhead quantity on a boomer. It was impressive seeing them all on the hangar deck, prior to an offload.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nuke52

Quote from: davidsinn on March 22, 2013, 12:05:21 AM
Quote from: Nuke52 on March 21, 2013, 09:25:35 PM

It's an analogy. A trident missile has eight warheads and an Ohio class boat carries 24 of them. That's a lot of boom compared to a single bomber.

Ohhh, an analogy...  Now I get it--thanks for explaining that.   ::) 

I guess that's why an adversary wouldn't be impressed by a 20-nuke popgun...
Lt Col
Wilson Awd